Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Arrow 3.6 DI V6 Faction check-in

If you're seriously considering the purchase of the 3.6 DI V6 check-in here and let us know the reasoning behind your decision.

As for me, well you can look around elsewhere. I will only buy the 3.6 under these two conditions, 1) I get the cowl in the hood stock and 2) the engine must make 300 hp +. Otherwise I'll pay the penalty and buy the V8.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
phlegm

Drives: '89 Bonneville; '10 2LT/RS
I am definitely getting the V6. I am a 22 year old college student who will be graduating soon and will have to pay for the camaro and student loans at the same time. I also have to consider that my insurance will probably at least triple. My uncle had a kick ass second gen camaro that was his project car and baby. He died and it was sold off. Ever since, I've wanted a camaro and I am glad that I have waited this long so I could get a great camaro to call my own and first.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'm considering it, but it will definitely have to make at least 300 hp, have awesome suspension, brakes, and other performance parts, and offer a substantial decrease in purchase price, fuel costs, and insurance rates. I really have a thing for that V8 rumble, easy modification, reliability, and power, so it will take a really good V6 offering to make up for losing that. One other concern is that I recall when the new CTS was introduced, GM admitted that there was an NVH problem in the design of the engine. Has that been addressed yet?
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I'm considering it, but it will definitely have to make at least 300 hp, have awesome suspension, brakes, and other performance parts, and offer a substantial decrease in purchase price, fuel costs, and insurance rates. I really have a thing for that V8 rumble, easy modification, reliability, and power, so it will take a really good V6 offering to make up for losing that. One other concern is that I recall when the new CTS was introduced, GM admitted that there was an NVH problem in the design of the engine. Has that been addressed yet?
+1. I'm entirely not opposed to the V8 but if the V6 delivers, why not....??
Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
The only way i would consider the 3.6 (at 300HP) would be if its priced under 20k.

Since that is soooo unlikely id rather buy a used 2005 Mustang GT for 4k less than 20k and drop a supercharger on it. Thats my plan B though, Plan A is the camaro with a chevy small block V8.

At 27 marrried no kids, insurance and payments isnt a big deal for me (hell full coverage insurance on a motorcycle would cost me $20.00 a month, and my ram costs me $60.00 a month)
Old 03-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

^ I gotta move to Phoenix! Those are good rates!!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
stovt001

I'm trying to sell my 1970 Olds right now. If I can sell it, I'll get the V8. If I can't, I'll get the V6 because I won't have the money for the V8 and I'll already have a V8 powered car anyway.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

How would you feel if your V6 Camaro sounded like this???

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119071
Old 03-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
stovt001

OK now THAT ^ is sexy. That sound just made the 3.6 a lot more tempting.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
If I get a new Camaro, any version of GM's 3.6 liter V6 would probably be more than adequate. Hell, I'm driving a Civic now with a four-banger that supposedly makes 140 hp but feels more sluggish off the line than the 124 hp engine in my old Saturn.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
The V6 is probably going to be my choice. While I'd love to get the V8, I'm not going to be racing my car or anything, and 300 horsepower will be pretty good in and of itself. If the V8 is priced similarly to the Mustang GT, it'll be on the high end of what I can afford, and if it ends up getting "premium" priced, I likely won't be able to afford it. While my good driving record will get me relatively low insurance payments, I imagine the leap up to a V8 Camaro is going to be pretty painful. And if I do get the V8, it'll likely be low on options due to the cost, and I think I'd rather have a nicely optioned V6 than a stripper V8. I'm not too concerned about fuel economy, as I don't think the difference between the V6 and the V8 will be large enough to make a huge difference.

So yeah...it'll all hinge on what the cost will be for the car and the insurance.
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
Been to busy to check into this thread but I'm here haha.

Yah the more I think about it, the more appealing and sensible the v6 is to me. For one, the price of the car itself will be lower, and that helps with insurance costs, considering I can very easily be paying $300 a month in insurance alone. Gas milage will also be there, though thats only a $40-$60 dollar increase over a v8 a month for me estimating. Buying the Camaro means it will be my car, and I would like it to have all the stuff in it I want. I'm not a big racing person and I just like to feel good while driving, which a 300hp v6 will more than do. Sure I would take a v8 if I could, but I am assuming its just out of my range for what I want out of a car. 300hp will more than do the job for my lead foot, and 400hp just seems excessive for my usage of the vehicle. I want to keep this car for a long time because it will be my first brand new car that I have actually wanted to get for a long time, and I'm sure down the road I can add aftermarket things to it to add power if needed. So I am 95% set on a v6 unless it doesn't have 300hp or close to it, and at that point I don't know what I will do.
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
If I get a new Camaro, any version of GM's 3.6 liter V6 would probably be more than adequate. Hell, I'm driving a Civic now with a four-banger that supposedly makes 140 hp but feels more sluggish off the line than the 124 hp engine in my old Saturn.
that is because the GM four bangers are under rated... i have a 98 Cavalier that is rated at115hp, but feels a whole hell of a lot like 135 or 140. back to the topic at hand though. i definately am getting the V6 just because i think its over all performance will be better than that of the V8's along with V6 fuel mileage. the V6 we're talking about sounds awesome and gets 28-30 MPG on the highway that is compared to the 26 of the L76 in the G8 GT (i saw one at the pontiac lot and had to stop and look at it). i hope the 3.6 gets about 22 city or at least 22 MPG average. i will be disappointed if the camaro doesn't get the 300+hp version of the 3.6 though and i'm not sure if it will be as good of a performer, but if it does get the 300Hp V6 you can easily drop a SC on the engine and get the V8 power out of it while improving your mileage if you don't beat on it...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

as much as i would LOVE the V8 (i shoulda had a V8 *thunk to the head*) I would be quite happy with the 300hp DI 6. my aunt and uncle have the DI 6 powered CTS sedan and they say it feels a LOT stronger than 300hp. and they have owned a LOT of caddys in the past (including one with the MONSTER 500 CID V8s).