Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #3767
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
First and foremost - Thank You for the support. It REALLLY does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Man that's a tough one Bruce. Hope you get everything worked out soon. I don't remember...was your 4L80 controlled or manual?
Compushift Controller. Everything was working great. Trans temps OK. Then just hammered it in first and it felt just like it there was no line pressure. Very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Camaro_SS View Post
Any time bro was great to finally meet the legend.

And again dont be srry I didnt to experience the insane power but im sorry about the tranny man that was a bummer. that thing blow chunks! and when I saw that
Well hope you get it in time for PW.
You took it like a million times better than I would have
No legend here - jus felt bad since we were all ready to take you out on some higher boost runs. Just hold on to the rollcage and feel it go...

Yeah, when we pulled that pan it just looked like it had and instant meltdown... Post mortem will be interesting.

Thanks for your patience - and your cutouts sound great !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Bruce:
I'm really glad you got some seat time, but I can't imagine how you must have felt when the tranny went. But, it's better that it blew now rather than when you got it back to Florida. I don't think anyone has ever had a build of this magnitude who didn't suffer some set backs. I think it's probably a normal part of building such a monster.

I'm looking forward to the videos. Thanks for taking them for us. We live vicariously through you.

In the end, when your car is right and you have it home, all of these delays and set backs will be distant memories and you will have the baddest 5th Gen the world has ever seen. I know I can't wait to see it someday (and maybe get a ride in it).
Thanks so much for the kind words T. There are many nicer 5th gens, but I will make sure you ride and/or drive it. It is actually very well balanced and easier to control than I originally thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
WTH? B, you are an oak.

Bring FreeBird to Pony Wars if the SST is sidelined!
I was thinking about it. No matter what we will bring up Mighty Mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
AHH Bud that just sucks. Go for the Rossler, if they can hold up to 540 ci BAE TT set up, they should be good. That's the Pro Mod tranny of choice for the turbo guy's. They will stand up to SST.

Yeah, I am going to call them when they open Monday. Thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andredmg View Post
Unreal man but you are definetly building a legend so hang in there we all have your back brotha!!!
Thank YOU so much brotha. You have helped so much !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TtopRS View Post
sorry about the bad news hope things get straightened out soon, and did i read correctly when you said "a smooth violent feeling"?
Sorry, smooth-violent is the only way to describe it. Without using the transbrake it feels like an incredibly smooth exponential power increase. Very driveable. Totally different feel than driving a car like the Firebird. (540 BBC/F-2/Manual Tranny/Live rear axle). That is a handful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
What a tough road you have had!! Hang in there. It will work out. I think DE is right. A build of this magnitude is going to have way more than normal birthing pains. The ability to go from smooth driving completely streetable car to fire breathing pavement crushing shredder is a tall order. Just doing one or the other can be tough. Getting both in the same car will be worth the pains. We are cheering for you!
Thank Brian. The neat part, even though it was short , was the way it would transition to a 'race' curve with no driver input required. Just push the pedal farther. You can hear the Eliminator pump kick on and see on the computer when the second 8 injectors come in but it is so progressive without the monitoring, you'd never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
damn, that sucks .. ..i,m gonna refer to you as DR.bruce...because you def have more patients then me..lol...glad you got to drive it...can,t believe that all this time nre had it , they couldn,t hurt it...you get there 1 day and smoke the tranny...maybe they build badd ass engines but don,t know how to drive it???....after my shop does some upgrade , i tell them drive it like they stole it, if it breaks then it wasn,t right to begin with...don,t drive it around the corner and make a few small laps, and park it up front....cause i,m gonna drive it like i stole it and i need to klnow it can handle it b4 i get my hands on it..good luck,
Tom was a little nervous. He said if he had been the one that cooked that tranny before I came out he would have had a heart attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
:(
You got that one right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Bruce,

Thoughts of JOB come to mind... I also am glad you got a little seat time though it must be frustrating to have it taken away so soon... And this may be the first time I've ever seen you have anything negative to say about anyone or anyplace...

I feel for you, and I know it's frustrating... I the grand scheme of things though...

As MTCWBY told me, some people build bad cars so others can gawk and to give them something to talk about when things break... We fix it and move on... not an exact quote...

SST will run... Soon....
Thanks a bunch B. Yes I remember MTCWBY saying that and it is very true. Just didn't think it would barf so quick. At the track with DRs/slicks, transbrake and lots of boost, yeah. But damn, not on street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Exciting to hear how well the motor is going and that you got some drive time, That's the number one thing. Hope you get the new tranny in and tuned up quickly.

Exciting times are just ahead... hang in there bud...
Thank You Mike. Just frustrating this time because without that, it was going to be picked up early next week and be heading to Pony Wars. Just want to drive it now. This is definitely not a trailer queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Are you thinking maybe it had something to do with the previous trans problem? Hope they make it right for you...record the phone call to Bowler, I'd love to hear it
I suspect so.

Last edited by speedster; 09-29-2011 at 06:05 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #3768
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Hey Bud. Soon as the Lost Coast Brewery Rasberry Nut Brown that I ordered shows up, I'll send you some Pumpkineater Ale and Rasberry Nut Brown in a care package. Might ease the sting a bit. Hang in there..............just tie a knot in the end of the rope and hang on.

Attached Images

Last edited by Merc; 09-24-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #3769
Cali_Camaro_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (BLACK)
Quote:
No legend here - jus felt bad since we were all ready to take you out on some higher boost runs. Just hold on to the rollcage and feel it go...

Yeah, when we pulled that pan it just looked like it had and instant meltdown... Post mortem will be interesting.

Thanks for your patience - and your cutouts sound great !!
Oh yea lol I wish I got that ride.
Well soon enough, and thanks for the compliment on the cutouts!
So I guess ill be seeing you again shortly when the new trans is in!!
it was fun meeting you though and then hanging out at the shop
maybe next time all goes well we can cruise and go have a bite to eat some where
1SS: Dnyatech LT Headers | Dynamaxx CatBack | Diablo Tune | Intake | Pfatds Springs | Heritage Grill | Blacked out Bezels | Black Chevy Sign | Blacked out Wheels | Tint | HIDs w/Error code Eliminator | Green Dome/Trunk Light |

Cali_Camaro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #3770
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
I'm sorry to hear about the transmission Bruce... Maybe I should have opened my mouth and said something about going to RPM. Everyone I have seen high horsepower applications over 1400 hp, have all gone to RPM in the first place and never looked back. I have not once seen anyone go with bowler other than you. Sorry to hear, keep your head up and if your trusting RPM it would be a choice I would take Glad the bad news doesn't involve anyone in harm.
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #3771
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
Hey Bud. Soon as the Lost Coast Brewery Rasberry Nut Brown that I ordered shows up, I'll send you some Pumpkineater Ale and Rasberry Nut Brown in a care package. Might ease the sting a bit. Hang in there..............just tie a knot in the end of the rope and hang on.

That looks like some good brew there. Very nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Camaro_SS View Post
Oh yea lol I wish I got that ride.
Well soon enough, and thanks for the compliment on the cutouts!
So I guess ill be seeing you again shortly when the new trans is in!!
it was fun meeting you though and then hanging out at the shop
maybe next time all goes well we can cruise and go have a bite to eat some where
Absolutely. The 6 psi runs were fun but we were going to take you out for the 14/15 psi set. That's where the excitement begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the transmission Bruce... Maybe I should have opened my mouth and said something about going to RPM. Everyone I have seen high horsepower applications over 1400 hp, have all gone to RPM in the first place and never looked back. I have not once seen anyone go with bowler other than you. Sorry to hear, keep your head up and if your trusting RPM it would be a choice I would take Glad the bad news doesn't involve anyone in harm.
Thanks and by all means open your mouth...

Last edited by speedster; 09-29-2011 at 06:05 PM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #3772
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Corey an I were discussing a lenko the other day, just not sure how street friendly that would be... The shifter would scream race car.... Time will tell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
That looks like some good brew there. Very nice !

Absolutely. The 6 psi runs were fun but we were going to take you out for the 14/15 psi set. That's where the excitement begins.

Thanks and by all means open your mouth.... Should have gone with my gut but the 'other' guys were good salesman. Either Rossler or RPM or Finish Line will get the nod. I am going to call all three tomorrow.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #3773
tsears

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99 - CGM
Sorry to hear about your trans problems Bruce. It seems like we are all experiencing trans issues this year. Anyways, luck will be in your favor and I'm sure you'll be able to get a good trans soon enough. I've heard great things about Rossler transmissions. You still coming out to SD next month?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #3774
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Corey an I were discussing a lenko the other day, just not sure how street friendly that would be... The shifter would scream race car.... Time will tell...
Talk to Larry Larson. He runs a Lenco in his Nova and it runs both on the street (albeit very limited) and 6's in the 1/4. In general a Lenco really takes the car out of truly streetable. It trashes your interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsears View Post
Sorry to hear about your trans problems Bruce. It seems like we are all experiencing trans issues this year. Anyways, luck will be in your favor and I'm sure you'll be able to get a good trans soon enough. I've heard great things about Rossler transmissions. You still coming out to SD next month?
Yeah I am calling three trans places Monday. I have the order in mind. And yes, we are coming out to SD for the AUVSI USIC conference and demo in SD Harbor. Hope you can stop by.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #3775
speedster
SST...

Ok, so these videos suck. When we went out the second time we were going to do some more granny laps so didn't fire up the GoPro. I was driving and Tom was manning the computers/laptop so both our hands were full. But then it was running so well we headed up and did those 6 psi runs without the camera...doh. Yeah I know stupid is as stupid does.

I am kicking myself in the butt now. Next time I know to just film everything and edit it later. But who knew ?

Coming off the lift for the road tuning:

Pulling out of the garage. (forgot to disengage the ignition safety lock when first trying to start it). Then it fired right up.

Getting ready for the road tuning laps. We are both surprised at how loud it is. Usually the turbos quiet the exhaust down more. Sounds pretty cool though.

Putting in our order for more C-16 for the later high boost runs:

Leaving NRE. You can hear the BOV's. First sounded like a beat coming out of the radio...

Passing a bus during granny laps:
Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #3776
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Talk to Larry Larson. He runs a Lenco in his Nova and it runs both on the street (albeit very limited) and 6's in the 1/4. In general a Lenco really takes the car out of truly streetable. It trashes your interior.

I read an article on Larry and then saw him in a pinks show or something... amazing Nova... Good Guy...

I was actually doing some sketch drawing of the interior mods it would take... It's a lot... so probably not, but you never know... I talked to a guy at RPM about the TRXXXX and he sent back asking about my clutch... haven't heard too much since then, though someone mentioned a triple disc clutch soon to be out that will handle anything I throw at it... At the moment, the clutch isn't the issue, it's 4th gear...

Corey had his trns guy order a 4th gear, all new (again) blockes/synchros/forks/ etc... we will get the gear under a microscope and micro polish it... If that doesn't work, we are thinking it may be a case problem... We do load the crap out of it on the dyno in 4th gear... may just be a defective case...

Please do me a favor and tell your lovely wife I said hello... Can't wait to see you guys again at the Fest III

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #3777
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
B-
Thanks for sharing those videos. It sounds great!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #3778
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
That car is a beast, Im luvin the videos man keep em comin!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #3779
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Ok, so these videos suck. When we went out the second time we were going to do some more granny laps so didn't fire up the GoPro. I was driving and Tom was manning the computers/laptop so both our hands were full. But then it was running so well we headed up and did those 6 psi runs without the camera...doh. Yeah I know stupid is as stupid does.

I am kicking myself in the butt now. Next time I know to just film everything and edit it later. But who knew ?
The car is looking (and sounding) awesome, Bruce!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #3780
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Judging by the sounds and horsepower you don't need no stinking 4th gear...just shift past it! HA! Bruce it is looking and sounding great.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo