Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
iBMV6

Drives: IBM
Casual medium sound exhaust?

I used to have a MRT2.0 axle back exhaust but it eventually became too annoying for me to deal with because of the rattling and droning it made. I've been driving with my stock exhaust for about 6 months now and I've been missing a louder sound. Can anyone make a recommendation for an exhaust that won't drone so much and isn't quite as loud? And preferably cheap too! Thanks!
iBMV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Magnaflow, sounds a little above stock to me. Alot below MRT 2.0 or 1.0 per video watching.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Magnaflow, JBA, Borla, Flowmaster....or SOLO with J-pipes as you will get a big sound when you want it without the drone.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Or MRTV2 and Magnaflow resonated x pipe. It really helps on the drone. I have a little on the freeway but doesnt bother us, And I have headers and cai, all of which add to loudness.It will muffle down the MRT's somewhat and smoothen the tone some but a trade off I can live with. But get on it and it is nice!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I was going to say look at KM's current set up and go with that. His setup IMO is very livable and will not annoy you after a while. I have heard it from outside, I have heard it riding inside and I think it sounds very good-waaaaaaaay better than stock but is not much louder than stock if that makes sense. The SOLO by itself might work for you too. It shuts right up when you want to cruise and it will let you know there's a motor under the hood when you get on it too. And those J-pipes do an amazing job of getting rid of the drone. I have the SOLO but I also have LT's and HFC's so my set up is pretty loud. I dig it but it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
iBMV6

Drives: IBM
What kind of sound do those Vararam Intakes make? I've been looking into getting on to replace my Injen CAI because of water issues I ran into. The Injen makes a cool whistling noise but I keep reading that the Vararam Intake makes a sweet noise as well?
iBMV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Corsa makes a very nice system, with no drone and it's only loud when you want it to be. Only downside is, it's expensive (but very high quality).

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBMV6 View Post
What kind of sound do those Vararam Intakes make? I've been looking into getting on to replace my Injen CAI because of water issues I ran into. The Injen makes a cool whistling noise but I keep reading that the Vararam Intake makes a sweet noise as well?
I recently rode in a 2011 LT2 with just the Vararam intake installed and it sounded a lot like my 2010 LT2 when I had only a CAI Inc. intake installed, which is very much a compliment because I thot the CAI sounded amazing. Very throaty in the cabin almost V8 like. The engine note coming out of the exhaust seemed a bit deeper and sounded a little less like Aunt Betty's Buick. I think any of the better intakes ROTO-FAB, CAI, Ingen, VR are going to give you this deeper sound though. It's just more dramatic when you have a stock exhaust because you can more easily hear the intake over the stock exhaust.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Go with Solo's.....
Old 08-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Corsa makes a very nice system, with no drone and it's only loud when you want it to be. Only downside is, it's expensive (but very high quality).
I agree on the Corsa quality... I had them put a system on my new truck last winter and got a tour of the facility...

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I agree on the Corsa quality... I had them put a system on my new truck last winter and got a tour of the facility...

Doh! I didn't even think about that. I was there last year for mine, and I just sat by the front desk reading boat magazines for an hour

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBMV6 View Post
I am not sure what the sound is like from other CAI's. The Vararam sounds like a low roar at around 2K with stock exhaust. You can hear the intake sound getting louder as you go through the higher rpms. To me it sounds like I added exhaust when in fact I didn't.

Next week I will have MRT V1.0 installed on my car. I know as per your first post you did not like the MRT V2.0. So my car with the Vararam and the MRT V1.0 you will definatley not like.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
I REALLY like the sound of my JBA axle back setup. (Did not change the stock resonators)

I have a post with videos here... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149824

(I think I got it from Autoanything...got 15% off by typing LOYALTY in the coupon code box) Wound up being just under $400 shipped.

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB911 View Post
I REALLY like the sound of my JBA axle back setup. (Did not change the stock resonators)

I have a post with videos here... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149824

(I think I got it from Autoanything...got 15% off by typing LOYALTY in the coupon code box) Wound up being just under $400 shipped.
Nice Car