Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
gsxrpilot

Drives: 1969 Z28
While we speculate about colors, pricing and the "Z28" Did anybody remember this?

While we speculate about colors, pricing and the "Z28" Did anybody remember this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congress is now on track to mandate new miles-per-gallon standards.

A bill introduced in the Senate calls for automakers to raise the fuel efficiency their cars and trucks to an average of 35 miles per gallon starting in 2020. Also, automakers vehicles have to average 28.5 mpg by 2015 while increasing fuel efficacy by 4 percent yearly starting in 2011.

The bill would also end credit to U.S. automakers for developing and selling vehicles capable of using E85 ethanol.

As a result to the introduction of the legislation, the Alliance of
Automobile Manufacturers called it "unacceptable." They claim that, to be compliant with the bill, automakers would have to experience a 4 percent efficiency increase in their mpg between now and 2020 which they say cannot be achieved.

Our take? Haven't we heard this "whine" before? The result were the Japanese automakers making roadkill of Detroit's best when Americans demanded fuel-efficient vehicles.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush, who has said he doesn't believe the government should set arbitrary automobile mileage standards, is signing into law a requirement that motor vehicles meet an average 35 miles per gallon by 2020.

Congress sent an energy bill to the White House late Tuesday -- delivering it in a gas-hybrid sedan -- that increases the federal auto mileage requirement for the first time in 32 years and also requires a huge increase in the use of ethanol as a substitute for gasoline.

The measure passed by veto-proof majorities in both houses. The House passed the bill 314-100, with 95 Republicans joining Democrats in support of the legislation, after the Senate approved it last week 86-8.

The White House immediately announced that Bush would sign the measure Wednesday morning at a ceremony at the Energy Department.

"This is a choice between yesterday and tomorrow" on energy policy, declared House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who had personally conducted the sometimes testy negotiations that led to the bill's approval in the House.
gsxrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
CAFE sucks. It is the responsibility of us citizens to overturn this legislation by contacting our legislators—the very fools who voted for this legislation. CAFE regulations and a repeal of the E85 incentive are offensive to the American car market, and we should take personal responsibility to overturn this legislation. If you care about American cars, you should show that now by contacting your elected officials in Congress and the White House.
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 10-28-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: a promise to Dragoneye
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrpilot View Post
A bill introduced in the Senate calls for automakers to raise the fuel efficiency their cars and trucks to an average of 35 miles per gallon starting in 2020. Also, automakers vehicles have to average 28.5 mpg by 2015 while increasing fuel efficacy by 4 percent yearly starting in 2011.

President Bush, who has said he doesn't believe the government should set arbitrary automobile mileage standards, is signing into law a requirement that motor vehicles meet an average 35 miles per gallon by 2020.

The measure passed by veto-proof majorities in both houses. The House passed the bill 314-100, with 95 Republicans joining Democrats in support of the legislation, after the Senate approved it last week 86-8.

"This is a choice between yesterday and tomorrow" on energy policy, declared House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who had personally conducted the sometimes testy negotiations that led to the bill's approval in the House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This is why I don't like Bush. He's a raging hypocrite who would gladly push in the backside of the Detroit automotive establishment for no apparent reason. There was no justifications. I can't wait for him to be gone from the White House.
Did you not read the original post, The_Blur?
Or did you just not comprehend it?

Original post says:
Bush is against government mandated mileage standards like this one.
Both the House and the Senate approved the 35 mpg CAFE bill by margins big enough that it could not be vetoed by the President. He would have if he could have.
Female Democrat Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was a major force behind the bill passing with big enough majorities to avoid a veto by Bush.

Last edited by littlecammi; 10-28-2008 at 08:07 PM.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
And enter the moderator...:(

This law was passed.
Please do NOT turn this into a political who's-to-blame thread, or it will be deleted.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Did you not read the original post, The_Blur?
Or did you just not comprehend it?

Original post says:
Bush is against government mandated mileage standards like this one.
Both the House and the Senate approved this 35 mpg CAFE bill by margins big enough that it could not be vetoed by the President.
Female Democrat Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was a major force behind the bill passing with big enough majorities to avoid a veto by Bush.
He is against arbitrary limits. He should have vetoed it. Act on your beliefs.

He can still veto even if a supermajority (two-thirds) is reached on the first vote. It would have to go through the legislative process again with a supermajority to overcome the veto. This is not putting the blame on Bush. It is merely explaining the Constitution.

Last edited by The_Blur; 10-28-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: a promise to Dragoneye
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
And enter the moderator...:(

This law was passed.
Please do NOT turn this into a political who's-to-blame thread, or it will be deleted.
I edited my posts to be as objective as possible. I apologize. CAFE is ridiculous, and every elected official that supported it and allowed it to pass, including the ones that failed to persuade others to vote against it, have failed the American auto industry.

Last edited by The_Blur; 10-28-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: a promise to Dragoneye
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
gsxrpilot

I realize it's your website, but rather then hear the ramblings of speculators how about a dose of reality. We have people talking about nothing yet there posts get the respect to stay out in the open and up front. How about the same curtisy of a very real and true topic that could very well end the age of the muscle car. Or is in fact more important to bash dealers who don't have the same philosophy as this website? Truth be told this is a minority not majority. I came here to be educated and feel less a few IQ points after leaving. My 2 cents...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Private Message sent.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrpilot View Post
I realize it's your website, but rather then hear the ramblings of speculators how about a dose of reality. We have people talking about nothing yet there posts get the respect to stay out in the open and up front. How about the same curtisy of a very real and true topic that could very well end the age of the muscle car. Or is in fact more important to bash dealers who don't have the same philosophy as this website? Truth be told this is a minority not majority. I came here to be educated and feel less a few IQ points after leaving. My 2 cents...
Wow, he just came in here swinging and insulting people didn't he?

:troll:
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
The_Blur

Dragoneye is right to stop political discussion here. We don't want any disunity as a result of the political ramblings that appear in my posts or anyone else's posts. I'm actually glad he did it, even though I have my own opinions. Not everything I feel needs to be expressed, and that's the same with everyone else.

We can pretty much all agree that CAFE inhibits the American automotive machine. Blame doesn't matter. Only resolving the problem matters. We need to continue a discourse about ending CAFE without discussing who put it there.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
gsxrpilot

It's not about who but rather what it is. This is not political but fact! While we can't decide how to order our camaro or how much to pay for it, undersatnd this... The clock is ticking!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I think I hear a bridge calling your name pilot. Thanks for your input...

BTW, IBTL!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I think I hear a bridge calling your name pilot. Thanks for your input...

BTW, IBTL!
It won't be locked if we get this discussion back on track.

Basically, the original poster is pointing out that CAFE makes investment in a Z28 project with a V8 very difficult to justify.

Discuss, or lock as mods see fit.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Thanks for bringing me down :(

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote