Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Reveals 2011 Buick Regal!

From GMInsideNews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsap View Post
Buick Unveils 2011 Regal Sport Sedan
This Regal certainly is not your grandfather's Buick!
www.gminsidenews.com
November 11, 2009
By: Nick Saporito

Later today General Motors will reveal the 2011 Buick Regal to an audience of owners and enthusiasts in Los Angeles. Throughout the past few months the car has generated a lot of buzz on the Internet thanks to leaks out of a Buick dealership meeting that GM hosted and leaks of the car by Buick themselves on their Facebook page. Just even a year ago it would have been laughable to use the phrase "Sport Sedan" in the same sentence as Buick, however the 2011 Regal seems to be busting that irony all up.

First off, GMI broke most of the news on the Regal thanks to dealership sources a few weeks ago. That information has checked out! However there is one SHOCKING difference...the new Regal is going to be produced at Opel's Russelsheim, Germany assembly plant. For months speculation has surrounded that the car would be built at GM's Oshawa, Ontario facility. GMI suspects that the car will be imported only for the 2011 model-year, then production will move to this side of the pond.

Regal is coming out of the gate with two engine options, both four-cylinders. The base engine is going to be the 2.4L ECOTEC SIDI (172 lb-ft of torque) with 182 HP with a standard six-speed automatic. The up-level engine will be a 2.0L Turbocharged ECOTEC SIDI with 220 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque. GM expects the 2.4L to be rated at 20/30 MPG, while the 2.0T should be rated at about 18/29 MPG.

The Regal is heavily based on the Opel Insignia midsize sedan from Europe, meaning that the car has plenty of features and a very sport-tuned driving experience. Standard features will include: leather seating, Bluetooth, XM Radio, OnStar, electronic parking brake and 18" wheels. Optional equipment includes: 19" wheels, the Insignia's IDCS (Interactive Drive Control System) that allows the driver to select different modes for the active suspension, navigation system, Harmon Kardon sound system, 1GB internal flash drive for music storage, USB port, and rear-seat thorax air bags.

Interior

As expected, the Regal's interior is borrowed heavily from the Insignia as well. The design is entirely carry-over, however the Regal does sport Buick's signature ice-blue LED back lighting and ambient lighting. Additionally, the Regal will utilize the same control knob interface that the Insignia utilizes; similar to BMW's iDrive system. The control knob operates the auto system, navigation system and Bluetooth.

Interior materials will include satin metallic and piano black trim pieces. Regal will also sport Kibo-patterned interior trim materials. Kibo is a rick, dark grained wood that lends an "international flare" to the car.

Driving

The chassis and structural systems were developed in Germany. GM claims the Regal's chassis is one of the most rigid in the segment, noting that this Regal is 25% stiffer than the old Regal that rode on GM's W-Body platform. Holding the Regal up is a strut-type front suspension with a four-link rear suspension with hydraulic ride bushings. Steering comes from a hydraulic rack-and-pinion system and four wheel disc brakes are standard, with 2.0T models featuring larger rotors.

Interactive Drive Control System

Regal's Interactive Drive Control System chassis technology enhances the vehicle's stability and greater driving safety. It is designed to change the personality of the car based on the personality that the driver is looking for. A driving mode control module continually monitors driving style utilizing yaw rate, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, steering wheel, throttle and vehicle speed. It defines the dynamic vehicle state, including acceleration, braking and cornering, to optimize chassis reactions.

All four dampers are electronically controlled and continuously adapt within milliseconds to the prevailing road conditions, vehicle movements and individual driving style. Chassis settings are adjustable by the driver, with Normal, Tour and Sport settings.

The chassis settings change the suspensions ettings, throttle response, shift pattern and steering sensitivity through the variable effort steering system.

IDCS also aids in emergency situations. For example, if an obstacle must be avoided when the car is in Tour mode, various chassis sensors convey this to the DMC and the dampers are stiffened within milliseconds, delivering greater body control.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
futrocpd
P90X

Drives: 2000 SLP SS VERT
actually not bad. i like the interior

P90X changed my life. Want to know more, PM me for more info on changing your life for the better
futrocpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
I like it, the body styling is a little plain, but over very nice car. Big Question is how much will it cost. I'd never pay a lot for a 4 banger, turbo'd or not.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM continues to astound me with their cars....every single one....and I have high expectations...WELL DONE.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
I like it, the body styling is a little plain, but over very nice car. Big Question is how much will it cost. I'd never pay a lot for a 4 banger, turbo'd or not.
I would guess mid-20s for a base CX model to mid-30s for a fully loaded model. No idea how much the expected GS model would cost.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65

V6 most likely coming in 2012.

Manual transmission reported for the 2.0T model.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Smooth execution all around, and a good fit below the new LaCrosse although I think overall execution here is a bit better than on that car (LaCrosse could use a moniker that is a bit less silly and a more powerful engine option...neither of which are a problem for Regal from the outset) It really looks like the Lincoln lineup is going to make sense overall, which will be marvelous in the long term if GM will stick to their guns and stay the course here. Fuel economy estimates seem a bit modest too, but it is possible that the 'sporty driving experience' extends to the engine tuning/gearing which might explain a bit there.

Overall I really like what I see, reminds me of the slick execution Honda used to manage. In fact, if were talking about foreign cars, this sounds a lot like an American Passat, and that is not a bad package to ape. I'll be really impressed if they decide to make a manual or DSG transmission optional, but I'm not holding my breath. Would make a great excuse for a GS package though.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Manual transmission reported for the 2.0T model.
Ha, even as I was typing my post above we find out it gets a stick!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Would make a great excuse for a GS package though.
GM's way ahead of you.

Sport model in the works, potentially named GS, 3.6L SIDI V6, 280 HP, 19" wheels, Brembo brakes, optional 6-speed manual, optional AWD.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM's way ahead of you.

Sport model in the works, potentially named GS, 3.6L SIDI V6, 280 HP, 19" wheels, Brembo brakes, optional 6-speed manual, optional AWD.
I like the sound of the package, but if it is truly going to be a 280hp 'performance package' I think they'll need to be careful on pricing since that isn't that much better than a lot of competitors offer in their run of the mill sedans. If they can keep it in the low to low/mid thirties to start I think they'll be fine, but I think they'll have a hard time pushing it as a performance piece unless torque is stellar or the final horsepower numebr ends up north of 300. Then again, power numbers could be conservative at this point.

I think the 2.0T with a six speed would interest me the most if the price is right.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Wow another ugly boring Buick. I would never guess that. At least they got the interior right.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Interiors of Buick's are just flat out SWEET!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This goes above and beyond expectations of the Buick brand. I hope that this brings some new life to the brand that Durant opened in his GM vision.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Sat in one today. Verrrrry nice. Exterior is very nice as well. The photos don't do it justice. DRLs are pretty slick too.

I drove an Insignia (Opel) last December with a 1.6T and it was very enjoyable to drive. Quite quick for such a small engine even with the turbo.