Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
BumblebeeQ8

Drives: '14 ZL1 Ashen Gray Metallic
Help !! Ron Davis HX vs. D3 HX? Which one to get

Im looking into getting a HX, but still havent decided on which one to get

Because summer is near and temps in Kuwait reach 130'

What are the cons and pros for each one

Any help is higly Appreciated
BumblebeeQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
I'd like to know how these thick HX cores eg 4" effect engine coolant temps, it would have to restrict air flow to the radiator.
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I was led to believe from an earlier post that the Ron Davis heat exchanger did not interrupt the cooling effiecency of the other systems coolers and was a very good drop in design.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have not seen any data that really compares HX perfromance.

I would just find out how many pass it is 1,2, or 3 and the dimmensions. compare based on that.

I am thinking about just running a chiller instead. then again I have a vacuum pump and gauges so I can charge my own AC . whith a chiller you factory radiator cooling is not altered.

130 ambient is so close to where the car is going to pull timing anyway I am not sure HX alone will keep your IAT2's below 138 degrees.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
The D3 is a lot bigger, the Ron Davis is a single pass with maximum single pass efficiency without altering airflow to the rest of the cooling units. I have Ron Davis, it works pretty good for me.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
BumblebeeQ8

Ive also found another HX that has dual fans
Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Bowtie724

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I have a D3 and live in fl, no issues with anything. Only common heat soak as seen with every zl1
Bowtie724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
BumblebeeQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie724 View Post
I have a D3 and live in fl, no issues with anything. Only common heat soak as seen with every zl1
Is it true that (D3 HX) Affects the AC?
Old 04-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I was the proto-type for the D3 HX. I have had the ac cut out when sitting parked with the ac running and the engine on. Only happened once or twice in houston summer on a blacktop parking lot (it was well over 100 degrees outside). Never had any ac issues while the car is moving. I have not had any engine coolant temp issues either, although i have never tracked the car during the summer, just daily drive and drag strip, so I wouldnt rely on my experience for track use.
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeQ8 View Post
Is it true that (D3 HX) Affects the AC?
Really they all affect A/C and engine water temp, the three "radiators" are like a sandwich in the front of the car: supercharger water, then A/C, and then engine water. The A/C and engine water always get air that has already passed the supercharger exchanger. I have got the high water temp warning on the radiator once and had my A/C shut down many times while road racing.... I have the Ron Davis heat exchanger and expect the problem would be worse if I tried to road race with one of the bigger units that blocked some air to the other units and transferred more heat to the air flowing over those units.. I don't think another set of fans in the middle is going to make much difference when you already have fans or moving air related to car velocity.

I have heard the guys running chillers in your neck of the desert do pretty well because the chiller stores the heat or cool depending on how you look at it, when the car is cruising or idling. When you hammer the throttle the chiller systems turn off and don't add anymore heat to the equation. Just something to consider.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
BumblebeeQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Really they all affect A/C and engine water temp, the three "radiators" are like a sandwich in the front of the car: supercharger water, then A/C, and then engine water. The A/C and engine water always get air that has already passed the supercharger exchanger. I have got the high water temp warning on the radiator once and had my A/C shut down many times while road racing.... I have the Ron Davis heat exchanger and expect the problem would be worse if I tried to road race with one of the bigger units that blocked some air to the other units and transferred more heat to the air flowing over those units.. I don't think another set of fans in the middle is going to make much difference when you already have fans or moving air related to car velocity.

I have heard the guys running chillers in your neck of the desert do pretty well because the chiller stores the heat or cool depending on how you look at it, when the car is cruising or idling. When you hammer the throttle the chiller systems turn off and don't add anymore heat to the equation. Just something to consider.
If u dont mind me asking what is chillers?

The car will be daily driven, and sometimes unleashing the beast on the streets, unfortunately we dont have a track yet

The only tracks available are in Bahrain , UAE and i think Qatar
Old 04-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

The car will be daily driven, and sometimes unleashing the beast on the streets, unfortunately we dont have a track yet

It uses the AC system to cool a water tank and route that through the intercooler. you can achieve well below ambient IAT2's with that system.

there are video's of 20 degress below ambient befor a pull with peak iat2's in the ~90-100 range. recover time seem pretty good for a 1/4 mile time run. the down side is you have to tap into the AC system which is not a huge deal but it does add to the labor an cost. these r134a cars are cheap enough to recharge though it is not a huge deal.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:

Dave is the only one making a decent chiller.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196968

It uses the air conditioning compressor to cool the supercharger water when you are not in boost. When you need boost water is already cold....

I went sand driving out there when I was on R&R with the military..... There is a lot of well maintained fast roads between towns if the sand isn't drifted too bad..... and that facility at UAE is very nice...

Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
BumblebeeQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Dave is the only one making a decent chiller.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196968

It uses the air conditioning compressor to cool the supercharger water when you are not in boost. When you need boost water is already cold....

I went sand driving out there when I was on R&R with the military..... There is a lot of well maintained fast roads between towns if the sand isn't drifted too bad..... and that facility at UAE is very nice...
It seems installation is a bit difficult