Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
because adding the nav made the cost to build the Camaro go way up.

people use tom toms these days...which are easily updateable.

on top of that, cheryl already answered the question that they felt onstar turn by turn was sufficient enough.
Additionally, I've argued—not from GM, from me—that performance cars with too many luxuries should be badged Porsche, as opposed to Chevrolet. Basically, a Camaro is not a luxury car. We buy it for speed and power, not captain's chairs and dual zone climate control. I know that the times have changed, although I also recognize that I am far too young to have witnessed the change; however, we are buying a heritage-inspired pony car. For $31,000, we are getting a stripper performance model that still features more luxury than any car I've driven thus far.

When it comes to performance cars, GM should be conservative about the features offered by certain brands. If a Chevy has all the luxuries of a Cadillac, why buy a luxury car? It's like buying Lucky Brand when you could buy Levis that feel just as good and take more abuse. Do you want to be pampered? Feel free to get the CTS-V. It costs a lot more, but you have the prestige of driving a Cadillac that your boss will envy and it's the fastest V-Caddy out there. Do you want to have a classic? Get the power of a Camaro SS, and spend all that option money on a supercharger, motor build, and drag tires.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
A - Portable units offer far more features than factory ones.

B - Mounting and wiring a portable unit cleanly is hardly a daunting task.

C - Having a portable unit means you don't have to buy a new GPS everytime you buy a new car, or buy more than one (mine goes from the car to the bike all the time).

D - I wouldn't bet on the new Camaro being any more of a 'classic' than a V-Series Caddy. If the Camaro I want is too hard to come by when I'm ready to buy, a used CTS-V will do just fine.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I have an SUV with a built-in one and I also have a TomTom One portable unit that I use in my truck and when I travel. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I have to say that updating maps, some features, etc, on the TomTom is much easier and definitely cheaper than the built-in one that I have (~$200 for a map update on the built-in one vs. free-$80 for the TomTom). It is certainly also easier to get rid of the TomTom and buy a new one when the latest feature comes out on the new model.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
meh -- factory navigation units with the screens and everything are gimmicky, imo. And only useful (if at all) on family vehicles like SUVs/Crossovers/Sedans...not Camaros where they could allocate that money during development to something else. Good choice on the part of the team, imo.

Besides...I use a map.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
jimbo57

Drives: 2010 SS, '06 EQUINOX, 72 MONTE
everyone tells me where to go.
jimbo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #20
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
I have satnav in my Lexus. It's great. Touchscreen, intuitive interface, controls climate and radio as well, plus i have my whole phonebook in there and 17 speed dials i can access while driving.

That having been said, that system is an amazingly engineered system from Fujitsu-10 (Eclipse). I don't think I'd want to deal with another system. Frankly, I have no problem with the Camaro not having it. Worst comes to worst, I have google maps on my phone.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #21
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
OK OK OK!!!! I get it!!!
Now that I've been whipped into shape and submission im happy now that there is no SAT NAV LOL!!

Happy Now!!

But what happened to the 21/22" wheel combo guys!! COME ON!!! LOL!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
OK OK OK!!!! I get it!!!
Now that I've been whipped into shape and submission im happy now that there is no SAT NAV LOL!!

Happy Now!!

Hehehe, that is by far one of the best responses in a while to a thread like this...I like you!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
OK OK OK!!!! I get it!!!

Happy Now!!

But what happened to the 21/22" wheel combo guys!! COME ON!!! LOL!!!

oh boy...

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #24
haulass350

Drives: 97 silverado
onstar has a navigation service. plus i already have a garmin unit i bought for my truck would suck to spend another 600ish for an extra one in the dash
haulass350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
of sat nav vs On* vs tom tom:

I pick paper maps. Battery can't die, won't clutter your dash, pocket portable, customizable route planing, no monthly fees, low purchase price, transferable to other vehicles, optional passenger seat navigator doubles your chances of spotting points of interest and indicates road hazards you may have missed.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
questar999
King Of The Door

Drives: 500SL,645CI,C6,DTS
No Nav

Cause you cant have everything.

Quote:
Ok I have to bitch a lil. I havent posted many posts so Im a lil hesitant to spew my anger!

Why why oh f'n why is there no option to have a sat nav? WHY!!
I dont give a ratz a$$ for sat radio, I NEVER LISTEN to radio only mp3/cds!!! Why do I have that option but all high end cars have sat nav as as standard this car dont even have it as an option!!!

BOOOOOO!!!

The car is ordered but obviously with no sat nav. Now I gotta drape ugly wires for an aftermarket one or run 5mins on a battery powered one.

questar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #27
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
Few counterpoints I'll make about garmins/tomtoms

1. They're just like a radar detector, cd, purse, ipod sitting on your seat. Motivation for a break in. (sure you can disconnect it every time you enter/exit your car, but as a garmin owner I will tell you that this gets old real fast)

2. They're not ascetically pleasing. More wires plugging into your cig lighter. Non integration makes it not look nearly as nice as an integrated gps.

3. Factory gps systems can be easily modded to function as dvd and backup cameras.

I'm not fully for factory gps systems. Just wish it was an option for those who want it. Lets not forget a real good garmin goes for ~$300. Factory installed gps ~$2k.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #28
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
You can use Onstar just give them your destination and it will automatically prompt you how to get there. Great thing about it it's hands free after initiating the call and you don't need to update maps they do that for you. I lost count on how many times my Garmin has given me bad info and not talking about buissness locations changing ownership ect I'm talkin being totally off.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote