Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
Why are you comparing a $30,000 car to a $70,000 car? I mean does this make any sense at all? This whole notion is rather ridiculous. You are getting a Corvette inspired 420 horsepower V8 engine in a ~$30,000 car and you are talking about something priced double as much? BTW The GT-R is as much a "skyline" as the Z06 is a base Corvette. Use proper terminology.
dude relax...i'm just asking if there is a way to do it...people have modded supras in the same price territories as camaros to go like 1200 hp...
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
what is the price difference of the zr1's and skylines?

and yeh i guess the camaro will be competing with 350's,mustangs,challengers,and probably some bmw's
skyline is around $69,000 ZR1 is around $103,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
There is no such thing as a Skyline, that name was killed.

The GT-R on the other hand, yeah, good luck beating it. You MIGHT be able to mod your camaro to beat it in a drag, but if you go to the twisties, its all over.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
The Camaro will need significant upgrades to beat the GT-R. Its not in the same class, nor does it pretend to be. The ZR-1 just posted a better time on the ring than the GT-R's best time, but then again, the GT-R V-Spec will be released next year. So the saga continues. The key point is we shouldn't hate on the GT-R or even be upset about its performance. The bottom line is that they have raised the bar for performance in a 70k car (and yes they will eventually sell for MSRP or less once all the dust settles) and for that reason alone, all performance enthusiasts should be thanking Nissan.
I highly agree. The GTR is an awesome machine and doesn't count as rice. Also most ricers can't afford GTRs. Now think about this, you want bragging right against ricers yet don't like it when they brag. Huh? I don't want to kill GTRs in the twisties, all I care about is the 1320 and I know how I'll do it when the day comes. 600-650 to the wheels and slicks should do it for me.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
chevydude26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT PSI View Post
I highly agree. The GTR is an awesome machine and doesn't count as rice. Also most ricers can't afford GTRs. Now think about this, you want bragging right against ricers yet don't like it when they brag. Huh? I don't want to kill GTRs in the twisties, all I care about is the 1320 and I know how I'll do it when the day comes. 600-650 to the wheels and slicks should do it for me.
exactly you must demolish all competitors to the point of submission...

if i ran gm...i'd be the steinbrenner of the car business..."what do you mean we can't beat them....d*mnit just do it"
Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s

I wonder if the Porsche-phile forums are abuzz with "How-to beat a Viper SRT10 ACR"

Looks like their "Wunderauto" got smoked by a car that's nearly $100,000 less.

Oh how the Porsche-boys got their panties in a twist when Chrysler moved the Viper from GT1 to GT2 and started dominating. ROFL!

Don't worry about the GT-R, It's nearly double the cost of a Camaro. (hopefully...I'm going to have just buy one of Burt Reynolds' rebuilt "Bandit" T/As if the new Camaro comes in at $75,000)

The Camaro will do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26
if i ran gm...i'd be the steinbrenner of the car business..."what do you mean we can't beat them....d*mnit just do it"
LOL!

Why not the Woody Hayes of cars?
"Woody, when you were up 50-14, why did you go for a two point conversion?"

"Because I couldn't go for three."
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #21
chevydude26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post

I wonder if the Porsche-phile forums are abuzz with "How-to beat a Viper SRT10 ACR"

Looks like their "Wunderauto" got smoked by a car that's nearly $100,000 less.

Oh how the Porsche-boys got their panties in a twist when Chrysler moved the Viper from GT1 to GT2 and started dominating. ROFL!

Don't worry about the GT-R, It's nearly double the cost of a Camaro. (hopefully...I'm going to have just buy one of Burt Reynolds' rebuilt "Bandit" T/As if the new Camaro comes in at $75,000)

The Camaro will do fine.

LOL!

Why not the Woody Hayes of cars?
"Woody, when you were up 50-14, why did you go for a two point conversion?"

"Because I couldn't go for three."
woody hayes....now thats the attitude to have...no mercy

start bill belechecking these other cars...
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #22
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I think the camaro will do better in the twisties than most people expect. Courtesy of the 52/48 weight distribution. But, I've been wrong before. I don't care how well I can take turns, so much as how well I can slide into turns when I feel the need come onto me.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
There's a way to do anything. It's called $$$.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #24
str8himalaya
A lot to learn!

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Current Mods:
-Spectre CAI
-Straight piped
-Power Wedge
str8himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #25
GXPMAN

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
There is no such thing as a Skyline, that name was killed.

The GT-R on the other hand, yeah, good luck beating it. You MIGHT be able to mod your camaro to beat it in a drag, but if you go to the twisties, its all over.

Yeah you'd have to modify a solstice to beat it in the twisty's :P
GXPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #26
GXPMAN

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Good point... WE really dont know how well the camaro will handle right now..

But I would imagine a full pedders set-up would improve it dramatically.
GXPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #27
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Well, hopefully this wont get me in trouble. (it will).

BUT - if GM DOES make the "top dawg" Zxx Camaro - and if it does have 500+ HP, you might not have to do a thing, if you know how to row gears:

http://tinyurl.com/GTR-427 (Stock C6 Z06 vs. GTR in the UAE).

Otherwise, follow the relatively easy and proven methods to mod the LS3 to make ~500+ hp.

And, I'd still say that in the twisties, if the Camaro had the right tire/wheel combo, it could still compete, without the need for suspension mods, with a VERY BRAVE driver.

But, I've been FOS before.

Any way you want to measure it, if a stock Z06 can WALK on Godzilla like that, a 500+ HP Camaro has a good chance, despite the extra weight vs. the Z06 (Don't forget that the Z06 had a passenger also -- +150 lbs or more).

(flame suit on)

Last edited by 2KZ28_For_Now; 08-05-2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: oboy, Im in trouble now.
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #28
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
BUT - if GM DOES make the "top dawg" Zxx Camaro - and if it does have 500+ HP, you might not have to do a thing, if you know how to row gears:

Otherwise, follow the relatively easy and proven methods to mod the LS3 to make ~500+ hp.

And, I'd still say that in the twisties, if the Camaro had the right tire/wheel combo, it could still compete, without the need for suspension mods, with a VERY BRAVE driver.
People forget that the GT-R weighs 3815 lbs, its has a few electronic wizards, but it weighs about the same as a Camaro. Not to many engine mods would get you to 500 (GMPP sells a 505 HP version of the LS3). Some suspension mods and some tires, and yes, the right driver, just might do it. It wouldn't be cheap as Dragoneye said, but it could be done I think.

That's for the standard GT-R. The Spec V weighs about 200lbs less and has more HP (or maybe they just rated it correctly and did nothing?????) but its also supposed to be over $130k, assuming you can get one for sticker. Probably about as likely as getting a ZR1 for sticker, but it COULD happen.

They are very different cars in very different classes, but somebody who had the time and money could probably make it happen. It might not be the most cost effective way to do it, but it would be a lot of fun trying.....

jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote