Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #155
mitchell87

Drives: 2010 Silverado 6.2L
How about we just wait for the performance tests to come out, and see what happens then?

The other thing that no one has really talked about(mostly because this is a camaro forum) is the base corvette. I believe a base vette is in the low 50K area. It has been tested at 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. Yes they are in a little different class because of the 2+2 configuration on the stang compared to the 2 seats on the vette, but they are both very fast, good looking cars

Appreciate the respect all you guys are showing
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #156
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
Yecch. I like the looks of the 08 better. the front on this looks like a bass. Congrats to Ford on the power level offered on these though....
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #157
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell87 View Post
How about we just wait for the performance tests to come out, and see what happens then?

The other thing that no one has really talked about(mostly because this is a camaro forum) is the base corvette. I believe a base vette is in the low 50K area. It has been tested at 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. Yes they are in a little different class because of the 2+2 configuration on the stang compared to the 2 seats on the vette, but they are both very fast, good looking cars

Appreciate the respect all you guys are showing
Because the Corvette has nothing to bring to a discussion about Camaro's, Mustang's and Challenger's. The only time is is even brought into these discussions is just to prove that GM has a performance car that will trump the Ford's GT500 stock-for-stock.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #158
str8himalaya
A lot to learn!

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Document fees are 100% dealer profit and you should be able to get out of them altogether if you will just hold your ground in the finance department. Most dealers wait to spring this on you right before you sign for the car knowing full well 99.9% of buyers will not walk out on the deal for a few hundred dollars. I've walked away from at least 3 deals, in the finance office, due to "doc fees". In each case, the dealer agreed not to charge me the fee. You have to remember, the dealer has time and money tied up in the deal too, and they don't want to walk away from a sure sale either.

All the other drivel aside, why do so many people quote the base price (employee base price, at that) of a 2SS Camaro [$30,738.45] and then use the fully loaded MSRP for the GT500 when making comparisons?

Here is the reality, based on MSRP of a fully-optioned car from each camp (using Edmunds.com):

A fully optioned GT500 has an MSRP of $51,575

A fully optioned 2SS has an MSRP of $39,595

That is not a $19K difference, it's $11,980. Yes, that is still a pretty big gap in price, nobody can argue that, but please, let's dispense with the idea that the MSRP on a 2SS is going to be $31K.
You do understand that the 1SS starts at 31k right? Thats what i'm talking about. If you find a GT500 at MSRP, i would be really suprised. That is what i'm saying, a car that is 31k vs. a car that is 45-50k after markup. That is a lot of mods, and dollar for dollar, the camaro can be the better car.

Current Mods:
-Spectre CAI
-Straight piped
-Power Wedge
Old 01-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #159
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8himalaya View Post
You do understand that the 1SS starts at 31k right? Thats what i'm talking about. If you find a GT500 at MSRP, i would be really suprised. That is what i'm saying, a car that is 31k vs. a car that is 45-50k after markup. That is a lot of mods, and dollar for dollar, the camaro can be the better car.
And I can take 6k to my 25k Mustang GT and make it faster than an SS.

As it's been said many times on this forum, there's no sense in bringing mods to the table in terms of arguing which is the superior car.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #160
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
And I can take 6k to my 25k Mustang GT and make it faster than an SS.

As it's been said many times on this forum, there's no sense in bringing mods to the table in terms of arguing which is the superior car.
25k is not the price of a gt...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #161
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
camaro is the best all around muscle car . Period.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #162
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
IMHO, the camaro is the best all around muscle car . Period.
Fixed that for you.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #163
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
camaro is the best all around muscle car . Period.
Jack of all trades. Master of many.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #164
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
No need to edit

go ahead, weigh the power/price, the milage, the handling, everything. seriously, go for it. Really the only car that gives the SS a run for its money overall is the V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Jack of all trades. Master of many.

ha glad to see the voice of reason agrees with me.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #165
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8himalaya View Post
Yes, I am aware. In my exercise, I was simply comparing the price of a fully optioned representative of both cars in manual form (and also the one's offering the most horsepower available).

You can find GT500's at MSRP all day long in this day and age. Just like there are dealers that ask over MSRP on a GT500, so too will there be dealers that ask over MSRP on the SS Camaro.

Besides, we weren't talking about bang-for-the-buck anyway. The discussion was about the fact that GM does not offer a direct competitor to the GT500. I agree with everyone on this board that believes GM offers a better overall package in the new Camaro than Ford does with the Mustang.

I guess I can chalk you up as one of those people that can't stand the idea that Ford has a leg up on GM (and Chrysler) in the as-delivered-from-the-factory ponycar wars.

Quote:
go ahead, weigh the power/price, the milage, the handling, everything. seriously, go for it.
Well, once we actually have those numbers, we can do that until we're blue in the face, but since we don't have any factual numbers on the production Camaro's available yet, it would be an exercise in futility.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #166
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
...can't stand the idea that Ford has a leg up on GM (and Chrysler) in the as-delivered-from-the-factory ponycar wars.
I know this little bit wasn't directed at me...but I had to chime in...I assume you're talking about the new GT500, right? Because the current one is already bested by the Camaro SS. Personally, I see the recent upgrade as absolutely necessary to avoid total embarrassment.

All told, the new GT500 is probably going to be a little quicker than the Camaro SS.....but for $10,000+ difference...I still see the SS as the better deal even in that comparison.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #167
GatorBlue371

Quote:
I know this little bit wasn't directed at me...but I had to chime in...I assume you're talking about the new GT500, right? Because the current one is already bested by the Camaro SS. Personally, I see the recent upgrade as absolutely necessary to avoid total embarrassment.

All told, the new GT500 is probably going to be a little quicker than the Camaro SS.....but for $10,000+ difference...I still see the SS as the better deal even in that comparison.
The SS will win every comparison with the GT, and more likely than not the GT500 because of the very similar performance for such a astronomical amount of more $$

Quote:

Well, once we actually have those numbers, we can do that until we're blue in the face, but since we don't have any factual numbers on the production Camaro's available yet, it would be an exercise in futility.
.... am i missing something or have you been under a rock for the last 6 months?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #168
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
...I assume you're talking about the new GT500, right? Because the current one is already bested by the Camaro SS.
I guess I missed that head-to-head matchup somehow. Do you have a link or video we can get educated from?

Quote:
I don't see anyone saying it won't be.

Last edited by garagelogic; 01-03-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Closed Thread