Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #57
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
face it guys, gm waited to get our cash on the ss, while providing some lesser lines of the car. now they are gonna reap the spring fever convertible sales, and this fall, they will announce the zl1 cost breakdown. just in time for the next spring fever.
and the z28?? im surprised they unveiled the SSX.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #58
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
I have to ask -- is there a functional purpose for the ground effects such as aerodynamics? I always thought they looked a little cheesy on the 4th Gens, but the ZL1's ground effects does look better, and I agree they blend pretty well, compared to other 5th Gen ground effects I've seen.
Absolutely. The wost thing for a high-performance car at-speed is lift. Which results from air flowing beneath the car and pushing up on the undercarriage. Most cars actually end up directing some air down there...just due to design.

Look at a lot of the bubbly cars from the 90s. If you take those cars to 90mph or higher they become loose and unstable feeling....this is because the car is literally being lifted up off the ground, resulting is less traction and thus -- less control.

So, the vents on the ZL1's hood allow air to escape from the engine bay, reducing lift as air pressurizes the compartment and causes some lift.

The front 'chin spoiler' will capture air attempting to go beneath the car and either direct it to the radiator where it will escape via the vents I mentioned, or direct it to the sides...

Where you'll need more material, lower than normal, to prevent this air from re-entering the underside of the car from the the flanks of the vehicle.

And then on the back end, you want to increase downforce as much as possible (over the drive wheels), which is why you find those high bookshelf-wings on race cars. For a factory car, that's not an option, so they use the spoiler to do it instead. The spoiler, I'll bet also effects how much air will "roll down" and back under the vehicle.

There's so much more detail and nuances they've tackled in the wind-tunnel than I could ever hope to explain...but everything serves its purpose. Notice they've removed those "dimples" the SS has above the DRLs on the sides of the fascia....

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot....it's said that the wings and spoilers, and all the other great stuff done to Indy Cars generate more lbs of downforce than the racecar actually weighs....meaning at speed -- they could theoretically drive upside down in, say, a highway tunnel........
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #59
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Why would we outright lie to you about something like this?

Yes - a 'general price range' but trust me, we do not know what the price will be........we are still working on the car -
GM is too busy designing the car to even consider pricing it yet. There's a lot of work to do, and GM isn't big on cutting corners. If GM commits to a price, it leaves a lot of costs uncertain. GM has to finish deciding how this car is going to be packaged to know what it will cost.

Let's talk about packaging for a moment. How many ZL1 trim packages will there be? Will it be like the SS (1SS and 2SS) or will it be like the Corvette ZR1 (1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ)? Will the RS package be standard equipment? That alone is a $1,200 question mark! Will the suede package be premium equipment? How much will that cost? What colors of suede will be available? Will the stitching match? How much should any special colors (IOM or SGM) cost?

I think you get the point. There are too many questions, and GM's brilliant Camaro team members are debating this as we speak. They also have a keen ear to the forums, meets, and anywhere else Camaro enthusiasts are. They want to know what we think, but we don't have to send in a letter to tell them. It is standard operating procedure at GM to seek out our opinions and criticism, and the Camaro team has been doing a great job. Have they let us down so far? I don't think a single feature of this car is short of extraordinary. Everything I could have reasonably expected or requested of GM was already considers. They did not cut corners. In order to get to this sort of result, GM had to get a lot of opinions and figure out what we all wanted. After coming to a certain level of consensus, GM built this car. If GM set a price limit early in the process, many of these options may have never been considered.

First, build a car. Second, sell a car.

That's the process. GM is going to start by building and finish with a price.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #60
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Thanks for posting, good to hear about the car in person, sort of................
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #61
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
2. How about a pop-up touch screen (doesn't have to have NAV but you could make that an option) that can interface to say iPhone (provides the NAV and many other functions) and allow a bigger interface so I don't have to mount an iPad in the car? I know some folks don't care much about tech, but this car is ALL about tech...
I'd hate to pay for the development and integration of that (to me, useless) option.
Camaro's dash at this point is not screen-friendly.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #62
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'd hate to pay for the development and integration of that (to me, useless) option.
Camaro's dash at this point is not screen-friendly.
I wouldn't use it either. You'd probably be able to do it yourself cheaper anyway. Most cars that have a premium screen seem to cost a couple thousand extra and have limited customizable options. If you threw an iPad in there, you'd have a custom, functional dash with all of the features you could possibly want. This could make a great custom project, but I don't think it's fair to expect GM to deliver on this.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #63
dgformula2k
lurker

Drives: 2000 Firebird Formula
Love the new ZL1! I'd rather have that than a Z06 Vette. A question I would have asked is what measures (other than the wheels) did the engineers take to remove weight out of the car.
dgformula2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #64
camaro noob

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgformula2k View Post
Love the new ZL1! I'd rather have that than a Z06 Vette. A question I would have asked is what measures (other than the wheels) did the engineers take to remove weight out of the car.
Black portion of the new aluminum hood is carbon fiber, as is the black stripe on the roof of the ZL1. I believe (though I could be wrong) that it's an option to have those be carbon fiber black. You can have those be body color so that you can have your own choice of stripes.
camaro noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #65
camaro noob

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic
My question would have been (and please forgive me if this has already been answered or belongs in another thread) why were all the "CAMARO" badges and bow ties always covered up on the test mules?? Where they trying out new appearance packages that are specific only to the ZL1? I was almost expecting to see a Transformers 2 Bumblebee bow tie (black with a red boarder) with the moniker of the car inside it. Might have been an interesting look. Kinda like how the classics had "SS" badges on the center of the grill, only this way they could keep the Chevy bow ties as well to form a boarder around the moniker for the people who aren't familiar with the history of the Camaro.
camaro noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #66
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro noob View Post
Black portion of the new aluminum hood is carbon fiber, as is the black stripe on the roof of the ZL1. I believe (though I could be wrong) that it's an option to have those be carbon fiber black. You can have those be body color so that you can have your own choice of stripes.
I don't believe the black stripe on the roof is carbon fiber. It's just an optional vinyl stripe to match the satin black painted carbon fiber hood insert.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #67
CyndeeSS

Drives: CamaroSS69, Canyon11
I was there also So many sweet cars. Any ideas on pricing? Something tells me this will be pushing in to Vette territory MSRPs.
CyndeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #68
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
face it guys, gm waited to get our cash on the ss, while providing some lesser lines of the car. now they are gonna reap the spring fever convertible sales, and this fall, they will announce the zl1 cost breakdown. just in time for the next spring fever.
and the z28?? im surprised they unveiled the SSX.

SSX when did they mention that this was in the works? What kind
Engine etc did they say about it? Love to see the post where
GM confirmed this future car in the works of being built
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #69
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro noob View Post
My question would have been (and please forgive me if this has already been answered or belongs in another thread) why were all the "CAMARO" badges and bow ties always covered up on the test mules?? Where they trying out new appearance packages that are specific only to the ZL1?
Most likely it's just corporate policy. The design is unmistakably a Camaro....but plausable deniablity has its benefits.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #70
Service@RevolutionStyling
Account Suspended

Drives: 5th Gen Camaros
blur , must have missed you there. we'll be there fri, sat, sunday would love to show you our cars up close. The ZL1 looks really great , there is nothing cheap looking at all about the rear diffuser or the rockers and chin. Personally i would like to see a little body color somewhere in that big black area, maybe just above the top of the chin spoiler. i feel it would make it look lower in the front.
Service@RevolutionStyling is offline   Reply With Quote