Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #2101
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vee8 View Post
I'm with you. This is a real pet peeve of mine. They just keep making more horsepower while continuing to make cars heavier and heavier. I don't care how fast you make the car, the fun of a car is how nimble it is.

This just packing on weight has got to stop and I wish that the buyer would start refusing to buy these vehicles that just keep getting heavier. It probably won't matter, because all anyone cars about his how fast it goes in the 1/4 mile and how much HP it has.

Weight is part of the reason why im waiting till 2011 to buy a car. (test drive 2011 mustang w/ track pack).

im getting sick of the gaining weight trend and i applause nissan for what they did with the 350z --->370z transition

and mean mike i think you meant Weigh. and im not saying i expect the Mustang to gain weight, im saying i just hope it doesnt. and considering rumors on the mustang, weight gain should be extremely minimal.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #2102
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
"bad" is from a point of view. As I see it...structural rigidity (eliminating the need for silly strut-braces, and subframe connectors), saftey, refinement, and more power....all the things that cost lbs...are not bad. I view weight as merely a cost-of-entry. In my opinion...if you want a featherweight race car...buy a race car...like the Vette........Or, you cen get a tin can, like the genesis coupe...

That said, I'm not so stupid as to not recognize that weight = bad for speed. So I agree with you. I wish the 'trend' would stop as well. Realistically...it won't. :(

I'm interested in this Mustang's new upgrade...it'll be interesting if it actually lures buyers...the facelift didn't...

but...why do people think it'll weigh 4000 lbs? That's kinda out there, if you ask me...
Sorry for double post whoring

I agree alot of the weight gain is from safety features, and that i definitely approve of. however with the recent advancements on new metals, sport/muscle cars should implement them in their structure to help minimize or even reduce weight (minor price hike obvious).

or if the use of exotic metals in the frame isnt an option yet. Decrease the size of the vehicle, NOT increase the size.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #2103
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by vee8 View Post
Still all speculation.

And besides, if it does come in, and if it weighs 4,000 pounds, then it just gets lost in all the other fat ass cars that are over powered and can't handle.
Official 2011 Mustang powertrain info will be revealed in November IIRC, and no Mustang will weigh 4000lb in 2011, not even the GT500 which is getting a weight reduction to roughly Camaro SS levels if not lower.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #2104
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Official 2011 Mustang powertrain info will be revealed in November IIRC, and no Mustang will weigh 4000lb in 2011, not even the GT500 which is getting a weight reduction to roughly Camaro SS levels if not lower.
Where is this info coming from?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #2105
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
Just because it get's a new engine does NOT mean that it will weigh anymore than it does now.
its not just getting a new engine...beefy trans, gears, axles, etc..
Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #2106
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Where is this info coming from?
At the link. Although I did miss the reveal by one month, the LA Autoshow happens in December, not November. Still, the info will almost certainly be leaked before then.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/09/f...l-a-auto-show/
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #2107
meanmike
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
At the link. Although I did miss the reveal by one month, the LA Autoshow happens in December, not November. Still, the info will almost certainly be leaked before then.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/09/f...l-a-auto-show/
Cant wait to see it. Although I have my 09 and have no plan's on purchasing a new Stang. I would however consider a tran's swap when the new auto six speed come's out.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #2108
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
however with the recent advancements on new metals, sport/muscle cars should implement them in their structure to help minimize or even reduce weight (minor price hike obvious).

or if the use of exotic metals in the frame isnt an option yet. Decrease the size of the vehicle, NOT increase the size.
The advancements in metallurgy isn't all that recent. Aluminum and high-strength steel has been around for a very long time...the issue has always been, and is still, cost. The price hike involved with doing something like that isn't "minor" at all. We're talking in the multiple thousands of dollars. And on $20,000-$30,000 cars, that's a huge amount of money just to save 200 lbs (on average)......which is 90% of the reason these techniques are not being implemented on a larger scale.

As for decreasing the size of a vehicle...I think we're seeing that, generally-speaking. For all the talk about how "big" the Camaro is...it's shorter in length than a 4thgen...and only about 2 inches taller (to facilitate a better seating position). It's also no bigger than a 2005-present Mustang. Same goes for the Corvette (shorter than the C5 -- and the C7 is rumored to be shorter than the C6)...same goes for the new Cruze (shorter by a bit than the Cobalt), etc. The trouble with this theory is, however -- all this saftey, refinement, etc takes up space...and so to compensate for the space taken up in the interiors of cars, it's easy to just bump the body panels out an inch...

Again -- weight is bad, I agree...but there are reasons behind it...none of which are inherently 'bad'.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #2109
meanmike
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
its not just getting a new engine...beefy trans, gears, axles, etc..
It still does'nt mean it is going to gain much if any weight. There are plenty of car's out there with all that and they weigh less.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #2110
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Quote:
It still does'nt mean it is going to gain much if any weight. There are plenty of car's out there with all that and they weigh less.
Maybe we'll just have to see
Old 10-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #2111
meanmike
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
Maybe we'll just have to see
So true.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #2112
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
I will believe it when I see it, period.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #2113
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Here is the newest info on the 2011 Mustangs

This is from a very, very, reliable source on another forum.....

1. Expect a plug-in IRS to be an option in the relative near future. No, I do not mean for the 2011MY, as the new engines and transmissions are enough for that year.

Note that I said option. The solid axle will still be standard.

2. Job 1 for 2011 Mustang is 3/15/10

Expect the GT500 to lose 175-200lbs over the current version. Most of that will be over the nose.

3. Job 1 for the 2011 5.0, and 3.7L Mustang, is March 15, 2010.

The Boss 302 should be shortly thereafter.

4. The durability testing, on the Ecoboost, was pretty extreme. Lookup some of the info on it.......... it makes a good read.

You know, things like running 24/7 at peak power............... for 15 days straight. Start-up, floored for a few minutes, immediately shut off. Do this for thousands of times, in a row, to test the durability of the turbo cooling. (if you know anything about turbo engines, this would kill most turbos) Etc.

I don't think that Ford will risk their reliability/dependability ratings............. for one engine.

5. [Regarding the leak of the Mustang horsepower info a few weeks back] Well, since my 1st post never appeared.............

This leak comes from a very good source, and was generally confirmed from another very good source.

BTW, you might just want to get the 2011 GT500, as it will be 200lbs lighter than the current car. Now, I don't know what the 6.4 is supposed to put out, but I can't see it coming close to 540hp, with 3700lbs of car to push. Also, this will improve the weight distribution dramatically.

The GT is supposed to stay pretty much the same weight as now. The V6 is losing weight.

Pricing is also supposed to stay pretty much the same. I would seem as though the 2010 price increases already included the new engines. All of this, is from the same source.

6. All 6-speeds, all engines.

The base engine is the 3.7L V6, naturally aspirated.

Expect to see the Ecoboost V6, in a special edition first................ and I guarantee that it will have alot more than 365hp. Remember that the engine is tranny/AWD limited in the FWD platforms.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #2114
syr74
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Here is the newest info on the 2011 Mustangs

This is from a very, very, reliable source on another forum.....

1. Expect a plug-in IRS to be an option in the relative near future. No, I do not mean for the 2011MY, as the new engines and transmissions are enough for that year.
Plug and play IRS is still in a very fluid state....may or may not happen prior to IRS being adopted across the lineup although it is likely.

Closed Thread