Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
Alarick

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
I used to spend alot of time out at the street racing spots when I was younger while still in the "Invincible" stage.

Thankfully my car at the time was too slow to actually race anything, but witnessing one accident where some random guy with a hooker in his passenger seat pulled in front of two foxbody Mustangs (no one was hurt, the guy with the hooker fled the scene) and two shootings (no idea if anyone was hurt, I did not wait around to see) made me think twice about going out there even just as a spectator.

And then I found a video like this one years ago...

The track is your best friend if you decide to race.
Not sure if I'll be taking my SS to the track anytime before that warranty is up, but I am sure that I will not be doing any illegal racing, there is just too much to risk for all parties involved...

But as far as actual speeding on the freeway goes, 5 over or average speed of traffic is what I keep to.
It's actually very amusing to get the ricer fly by on the freeway then 2 miles down the road pass the ricer as he's getting a nice little ticket.
Alarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #30
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
the worst was me and a corvette going at it 145mph on the hwy. stupid. my fear is my nephew will do the samething when he can drive. just dont do it; not worth it at all.
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #31
CHVY4LF
Chevrolet For Life!!

Drives: 07 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
It depends on the car, i may have to just pull away from someone real quick then drop back down to speed but that depends the car, for example i was driving an LS2 GTO and an Acura Integra was trying to get me to run him but if a Mustang or Challenger trys to get tough i may show them up but i wont be stupid and actually race them on the highway, i will only race a track

Future Plate: PNYHNTR
Camaro of Choice: 2010 SS 6.2L 6M IOM
Current Ride: 2007 Silverado Classic Ext. Cab 5.3L DBM

CHVY4LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #32
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Sorry, didn't mean to stir anything up.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #33
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
I think there's a big difference between the stoplight races of American lore and what everyone here is referring to as street racing. A true stoplight race (so far as I'm concerned), it's nothing more than a test of acceleration to the approximate speed limit. You should never be blasting past other cars, weaving in and out of traffic, or more than 5-10mph over the speed limit. It is nothing but a quick burst of acceleration next to another high performance car that ends as quickly as it began. Frankly, as a muscle car enthusiast I'm a big fan of stoplight races. They're pretty safe, very limited and contained, and serve to put ricers in their proper place. In short, acceleration tests at a stoplight I am okay with and will be partaking in with great regularity. Legitimate street racing, on the other hand, is a big no-no.
A mother (who has her kids with her in the car) is about a half block down the street from the stoplight you are at. She is preparing to turn right out of the parking lot of a fast food restaurant, which will put her ahead of you in the same lane. She glances left and sees that the roadway is clear and that the stoplight has just changed, so she looks right and starts to pull out onto the street. However, you have gunned it as soon as the stoplight changed, and are now accelerating rapidly while trying to best the Subaru WRX Sti in the lane next to you. You glance left to see you're slightly ahead of the WRX and when you look ahead you have a car full of kids finishing its turn into the roadway just in front of you, seemingly out of nowhere. You can brake hard, but you know there is no way to stop in time. You can't steer left without smashing into the WRX and maybe knocking it into the oncoming lanes. You can't steer right without going onto the sidewalk and into storefronts or worse. And right then you think to yourself "I'm glad I was just engaging in some harmless stoplight racing. I would be in a lot of trouble if I was actually involved in legitimate street racing!"

Last edited by littlecammi; 10-20-2008 at 03:26 PM.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #34
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
A mother (who has her kids with her in the car) is about a half block down the street from the stoplight you are at. She is preparing to turn right out of the parking lot of a fast food restaurant, which will put her ahead of you in the same lane. She glances left and sees that the roadway is clear and that the stoplight has just changed, so she looks right and starts to pull out onto the street. However, you have gunned it as soon as the stoplight changed, and are now accelerating rapidly while trying to best the Subaru WRX Sti in the lane next to you. You glance left to see you're slightly ahead of the WRX and when you look ahead you have a car full of kids finishing its turn into the roadway just in front of you, seemingly out of nowhere. You can brake hard, but you know there is no way to stop in time. You can't steer left without smashing into the WRX and maybe knocking it into the oncoming lanes. You can't steer right without going onto the sidewalk and into storefronts or worse. And right then you think to yourself "I'm glad I was just engaging in some harmless stoplight racing. I would be in a lot of trouble if I was actually involved in legitimate street racing!"
That's cute and quite sensationalist (can't say I didn't expect it from my post), but that's why I would stress A) awareness and B) knowing your location. In my hometown the majority of stoplights have at least a 1/2 mile of straightaway w/ NO entries or exits, thus you can quite easily accelerate to a 50mph speed limit without being anywhere near this ill-fated shopping center with its doomed mother.

You really shouldn't jump to the conclusion that, just because I'm not completely against a quick acceleration, I'm out to purposefully slaughter innocent women and children who are just trying to put food in their bellies. It's particularly insulting considering I spend my days (and often nights) defending those same women and children from all enemies foreign and domestic.

The entire point of my post was to point out that there is a responsible way to have fun with your car and an irresponsible way. It ought to go without saying that I support the responsible option.

But thank you for your anecdote.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #35
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Boundurant Racing School

Makes me glad I live in phx...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #36
dobbins67326

Drives: 1999 Camaro V6 Vert
considering i just got a speeding ticket on the way home

i wont be going anywhere for awhile much less going there fast
Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #37
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
quick story (story takes place in winter) while i was on a on ramp a idiot in a grand prix started to go speed up and spun out and pretty much ruined his car
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

at stop lights when the light turns green i might punch the gas to feel like im being pushed back in my seat (btw i love that feeling)

but once I get up to the speed limit i will slow down

Officer Tag( or anyone) is there A law that forbids fast take offs if your first at a stop light?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #38
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
quick story (story takes place in winter) while i was on a on ramp a idiot in a grand prix started to go speed up and spun out and pretty much ruined his car
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

at stop lights when the light turns green i might punch the gas to feel like im being pushed back in my seat (btw i love that feeling)

but once I get up to the speed limit i will slow down

Officer Tag( or anyone) is there A law that forbids fast take offs if your first at a stop light?
Yes. Display of power is considered illegal. I forgot where I read it though. Some big law book.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #39
diddiyo

Drives: .
you might even want to think about racing on the track in the future:

Insurance companies close track day and advanced training loopholes
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #40
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
1) In my hometown the majority of stoplights have at least a 1/2 mile of straightaway with NO entries or exits.

2) You really shouldn't jump to the conclusion that I'm out to purposefully slaughter innocent women and children.

3) It's particularly insulting considering I spend my days and often my nights defending those same women and children from all enemies foreign and domestic.

4) The entire point of my post was to point out that there is a responsible way to have fun with your car and an irresponsible way. It ought to go without saying that I support the responsible option.
1) Your hometown must be the only one in the entire nation where the city planners considered the needs of street racers and constructed the majority of roadways with no side access whatsoever between stoplights. This seems unlikely to the point of exaggeration on your part.

2) There was nothing in my post even remotely suggesting that you would purposefully seek to injure anyone of any age or gender. In fact, my post was to point out that even actions that seem safe can result in tragedy.

3) Any insult you deemed to have been received from me was merely the result of your own mistake in interpreting point two (above).

4) The entire point of my post was to show that there is nothing responsible about stoplight racing.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #41
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
there is nothing illegal about accelerating fast to the speed limit dont be rediculous.

its illegal to spin your tires, and go over the speed limit.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #42
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
I.....I......I.................I plead the 5th.

And im with the Hatter. I like go fast....I mean no no racing bad...*cough cough*no its not*cough cough*

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote