Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #85
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Didn't the Z06 that met the former ZR1 time have all the trimmings? Upgraded suspension, tires, Magnetic Ride, Carbon Fiber package, etc?

I'm not trying to discount it. However you cut it, that was blisteringly fast...I just don't remember how that particular vehicle came equipped.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #86
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Didn't the Z06 that met the former ZR1 time have all the trimmings? Upgraded suspension, tires, Magnetic Ride, Carbon Fiber package, etc?

I'm not trying to discount it. However you cut it, that was blisteringly fast...I just don't remember how that particular vehicle came equipped.
It was essentially a ZR1 with an LS7 instead of an LS9
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #87
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This......

And if you watched the video,the LS9 really showed it's teeth on the last straight. The ZR1 attained a top speed of 182 mph,whereas the Z06 only managed 166.

The two cars practically mirrored each other up to that point.

I hope they take the ZL1 to the 'ring,would be interesting to see what it would do. We know what the CTS-V did there(7.59),I'd think the ZL1 would easily best that.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #88
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
In more words, that's about what I thought.

Still....very very very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
I hope they take the ZL1 to the 'ring,would be interesting to see what it would do. We know what the CTS-V did there(7.59),I'd think the ZL1 would easily best that.
I'm gonna agree with this. I know I keep saying it, but I can't wait to see the final numbers for this thing!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #89
tweeter81

Drives: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post

My original prediction for what the ZL1 would run at the 'Ring was approximately 7:54, or 5 seconds faster than the CTS-V. Nothing that has come out since makes me want to change my guess.

Side note, the new BMW M5 ran the ring in approximately 7:55 just a few days ago, so it would be great if the much cheaper (read: affordable) Camaro ZL1 could beat that time, even if only by 1 second.

2004 CTS-V
Mods: CAI, Spoiler, SW Heat Extractor Hood, PC'ed CCW SP600 wheels (19"x9" and 19"x10"), Toyo R888 (F: 235/35ZR19 - R: 295/30ZR19), Magnaflow Cat-back, UUC Shifter w/ bushings, Ground Control Coilover Kit (750f/800r), FG2 shocks, Hotchkis Swaybars, Custom FRCs, Kooks 1 3/4" Coated LT Headers, ARP Header Studs, NGK TR55ix, SS Brake Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HP+ Pads, GForce Axles, Monster Stage 2 w/ 18 lb Flywheel, D.P.S.E. Dyno Tune = 351 hp/ 365 ft-lbs (corrected)
tweeter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #90
LS3 Machine

Drives: 2017 Colorado ZR2, 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
power to weight ratio > horsepower

the vette and camaro are in completly 2 different markets.
This.

My Camaro SS with headers, intake and tune feels like a limousine full of Fat Girls compared to my Stock Z06.
LS3 Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #91
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
LS < SS < Base Vette < GS < ZL1 < Z06 < ZR1

There will always be overlap. It's inevitable when you get to these levels...not to mention it would be foolish to hold yourself back (you being GM, in this case) just because of another car in the showroom that also happens to be in a completely different class of automobile.

Not to mention....the Corvette is due for a new generation anytime, now........

I'm glad the guys in charge at Chevy/GM didn't restrict the Camaro team's potential due to the Corvette's existence.

EDIT: I'd argue the Camaro is a bit more valuable as a 'halo' car to Chevy dealers than the Corvette...Tom Henry or Becky from Rogers, or someone can correct me if I'm wrong.......when I talk to non-car-people...the consensus seems to be that the Corvette is unaffordable, impractical, and more of a pedestal "I know it's cool, but I know I can't have it" kinda car....whereas the Camaro is viewed as being affordable, somewhat practical, and new.

I'd think the Camaro attracts more 'commoner' traffic than the Corvette.

i agree, but you forgot to Put where you think the CTS V stands
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #92
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
My original prediction for what the ZL1 would run at the 'Ring was approximately 7:54, or 5 seconds faster than the CTS-V. Nothing that has come out since makes me want to change my guess.

Side note, the new BMW M5 ran the ring in approximately 7:55 just a few days ago, so it would be great if the much cheaper (read: affordable) Camaro ZL1 could beat that time, even if only by 1 second.

i have an 04 CTS V that is pretty much a twin to yours
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #93
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
So? I haven't heard of Ford doing anything to increase the traction on the GT500. There is talk that they'll boost the power to 600 or so, but if the car can't hook ... . GM on the other hand is going to put 305's out back on the ZL1. And don't forget, the ZL1 will in all likely have more power and less weight than the CTS-V, and a host of other little things.
doesnt matter. as I've said before...

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #94
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
doesnt matter. as I've said before...

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.
I agree, however, that's where marketing should come in to save the day. It'd be nice to see GM really push ZL1 into the media and get the word out. While I'm sure enthusiasts can look past all the power in the world if the chassis can't handle it, but I don't think that, that minority is enough to really effect sales... I think as long as GM emphasized how the technology adds up to a better car that it can sell itself. Getting the word out is the key, IMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #95
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 Machine View Post
This.

My Camaro SS with headers, intake and tune feels like a limousine full of Fat Girls compared to my Stock Z06.
So, what you are saying is you don't like limousine rides with fat girls? Come on now....really...really??? What are you trying to say man....
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote