Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #57
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
I think the Z28 is a MUST! This is the Camaro! To me, a Camaro model sans Z28 is unthinkable.
I'm waiting for my warranty-supercharged Z28, and I'm ready to spent up to $45k for it. This has been my dream car for 10 years, and even the thought of buying a rustang or a dodge instead is nauseating. PLEASE GM make this Z28 happen!
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #58
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
I really wanted a new Z/28 to replace the 2002 that I had... If it costs $45 k I will not get one. Even if I am not able to get the Z/28, I believe GM has to make it available, as many have said: Z/28 IS CAMARO!
There needs to be one, whether it is a $40k supercharged version.... or hopefully a $30k easily modified for more performance... version.
There is a history of LT Camaros, but;
There is a PROUD history of Z/28 Camaros.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #59
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Well,
Here's some good news?

Again, I'll wait to hear it officially.

Quote:
The latest we heard, from a very well-placed source, is that the Camaro Z28 is indeed alive. It probably won't arrive in 2010, but it looks like the future of the ultimate F-body is secure.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...ved/index.html
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
From the same dodo's touting it's death not even a month ago. I swear...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #61
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
From the same dodo's touting it's death not even a month ago. I swear...
lol yea. exactly why I read and don't believe half of it.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #62
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
i read that gen V was delayed or caneled, i will try to find more.
So after almost 20 years (I believe the GenIII started design in the late 80's/early 90's) of GenIII design (the LS2 was too close to the LS1 to call it "different") you think GM has given up on V8 design improvments...

I think not!
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #63
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
So after almost 20 years (I believe the GenIII started design in the late 80's/early 90's) of GenIII design (the LS2 was too close to the LS1 to call it "different") you think GM has given up on V8 design improvments...

I think not!
In the announcement of the recent GM shutdowns and cuts to things like salaried retiree health benefits, they said they were moving powertrain development spending from V8s to smaller engines.

What that means for the GenV is not clear at this point. Even though the engines are not identical, the volume of trucks GM builds means there are a lot of economies of scale between the truck motors and the engines like the LS3. And they are moving away from those as well along with Ford and Toyota, who just got their full size trucks out and are now shifting capacity to care. So between those two it is not yet clear what the implications are.

"GM is revising its capital spending plan and reducing approximately $1.5 billion in expenditures versus prior plans. Capital expenditures are now estimated to total $7 billion in 2009 versus prior plans of $8.5 billion (these figures do not include the $1 billion in capital spending planned in both 2008 and 2009 in China, which is self-funded by the GM joint ventures, to support growth in that market). A major part of the reductions is related to the delay of the next generation large pickup and SUV program, as well as V-8 engine development and associated capacity."
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #64
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Repost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Repost.
RE-POSTWHORE

RE-POSTWHORE

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #65
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Hehe.

That was my passive-aggressive attack towards all the same threads about the Z/28 popping up everywhere.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #66
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
you're right about the Z crowd. but that's been dead longer then the SS croud. I'll have to disagree with you on this though. the Camaro has always been a halo car. a car to draw people in to chevy dealerships. it's not as much of a halo as a vetter but it's still a halo that's more affordable. that being said the only other halo chevy has right now is the vette and they've used the Z naming for it. so why not?

like I've said already I hope at the least a Z28 has at least the same horsepower as the SS but more track tuned suspension, lighter components, and I can select the bare minimum options, leather and keyless entry. that's it.
You are correct, the Z-28 needs to be a track car, that is it's heritage, the SS was a All out power car made for the drags. If anything the 550 HP should be the SS, and the Z-28 shoould be the best handling, basically the best all around performer. Anyone that was around at the beginning of the Camaro will attest to that.

At first in 1967 the Z-28 was just an option package designation that few knew about (mainly the Trans-Am racers). not until 68 did the Z-28 badging appear on the cars, and all us old timers will agree the 69 Z-28 was the best of the breed for what the Z-28 was designed for. After that it grew tooo large, and lost horsepower till it was all show and no go. Then when the HP wars returned it came back stronger than ever, BUT Chevy brought out their "drag" car with more HP than the Z-28, and Yes it was the SS, THAT is why I feel the SS should always remain the Highest powered Camaro, while the Z-28 should be the best all around performer the "Track Star".
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #67
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
You are correct, the Z-28 needs to be a track car, that is it's heritage, the SS was a All out power car made for the drags. If anything the 550 HP should be the SS, and the Z-28 shoould be the best handling, basically the best all around performer. Anyone that was around at the beginning of the Camaro will attest to that.

At first in 1967 the Z-28 was just an option package designation that few knew about (mainly the Trans-Am racers). not until 68 did the Z-28 badging appear on the cars, and all us old timers will agree the 69 Z-28 was the best of the breed for what the Z-28 was designed for. After that it grew tooo large, and lost horsepower till it was all show and no go. Then when the HP wars returned it came back stronger than ever, BUT Chevy brought out their "drag" car with more HP than the Z-28, and Yes it was the SS, THAT is why I feel the SS should always remain the Highest powered Camaro, while the Z-28 should be the best all around performer the "Track Star".
HMMMMM Good Point. So what if the Z28 was just a lighter Camaro, maybe lighter by 200 or 300 lbs and position between an SS and a V6. Maybe with the 340hp 5.3L LS4 engine. That would mean the Z28 is competition for the Mustang GT, Mustang Bullitt and Mustang Mach 1?
This is the theory I heard from a recent Chevy car finance manager in Dallas
This sounds very reasonable
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #68
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
HMMMMM Good Point. So what if the Z28 was just a lighter Camaro, maybe lighter by 200 or 300 lbs and position between an SS and a V6. Maybe with the 340hp 5.3L LS4 engine. That would mean the Z28 is competition for the Mustang GT, Mustang Bullitt and Mustang Mach 1?
This is the theory I heard from a recent Chevy car finance manager in Dallas
This sounds very reasonable
I completely agree, but the SS is already, somewhat, released. They'd have to switch around everything when this model would come into the market, although, I don't really seem the harm in that. All I am truly concerned about is that it is directly competitive with the GT500, and that a Z28 is released in a format representative from it's past

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #69
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I completely agree, but the SS is already, somewhat, released. They'd have to switch around everything when this model would come into the market, although, I don't really seem the harm in that. All I am truly concerned about is that it is directly competitive with the GT500, and that a Z28 is released in a format representative from it's past
not really, they can bump up the top engine in the Camaro SS to 500+ and then come out with a Z-28 Light weight 450HP "Track Star"
The competition for the Z-28 Camaro was not the GT500 from the past, it was the Boss 302 Mustang.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #70
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
not really, they can bump up the top engine in the Camaro SS to 500+ and then come out with a Z-28 Light weight 450HP "Track Star"
The competition for the Z-28 Camaro was not the GT500 from the past, it was the Boss 302 Mustang.

Call it the "trap star"
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote