Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
Note: I drive a big truck daily and know how to use mirrors!

I am now questioning my continuing desire to order a new Camaro for myself. Can anyone out there help me rationalize the visibility issues I am having with this car? I am very distraught, help.
In bold is the heart of the problem.

You're used to huge windows (even if they don't help much..hence the mirrors). In order to get the exterior design...the same design that turns its drivers into instant rock stars, they had to compromise visibility more than they liked. I still maintain that visibility isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be (a case of mind over matter, imo)...but I'm 100% positive everyone here can get used to it and drive as though it was just another car.

If that's your only major concern, you're golden.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #30
spd98

Drives: had a goat
I do have to agree that for me the seating position is off. i like the position in the GTO better and the c6. I do wonder though if it's just because it's not what I am used to.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #31
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaker82 View Post
As far as the visability you just have to drive it for a day or two... I rented one from Avis and when I first got in it I told my girlfriend she would have to drive it because i am too scared and "I cant see shit". Well that all faded away very quickly and I felt more confident and comfortable as ever returning it to the Avis... In fact I almost cried to see it go :(
LOL man .... don't tell anyone else that story or your man card will have to be revoked.

OP. It's all about getting used to it. When I first got my 4th gen I thought it was a full time job driving it. Now I am more comfortable in it than in any other car.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #32
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Full disclosure is good. Well usually. lol
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #33
Camaromom3

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro
The visibility in my 2000 Cam Convertible really stinks when the top is up...so driving my new one...when it comes in...should be a step up for me then....gosh I can't wait....someone pray to the Camaro gods for me to hurry up this process!!
Camaromom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #34
joerod97
Chevy Man

Drives: 2010 2ss -black/black
Well ,with your concerns about the visiibility issues,I now have a vision problem.....I CANT SEE YOU ORDERING THIS CAR!! You would probably be happier in a new big p/up truck with massive engine and lots of creatur comforts with all that windshield area to further your field of vision as you motor down the road...10-4 rubber duck
joerod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #35
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You might want to consider a used vette from looking at what you like.

The front is lower and the rear glass is easier to see vs piller.

I like this camaro better than all the vettes myself. Just sayin'.

Good Luck.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #36
Kenny

Drives: 2010 SS RS IOM M6
I would say rent one and drive it for a day then decide. If you do that i would like to hear your results. Maybe that would also serve to alleviate the visability anxiety of others as well.
I think everyone else on the road should just pull over anyway when they see this car coming....problem solved.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #37
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I thought the visiblity was a bit off when I first drove it, but it didn't take me long to get used to it. Now it's just fine. As for the rearview mirror, adjust it upward as high as it will go. That worked perfectly for me.

The view out the c-pillar area, yeah that's pretty non-existant. But you work around it as best you can by angling the car if need be, or leaning more to see out.
3000 = Accepted By Production Control:03/31/2009 (or shortly before)
3100 = Sequenced: ????
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 04/18/2009
3400 = Broadcast: 04/28/2009
3800 = Produced: 05/05/09 VIN#7607
4150 = Invoiced: 05/15/09 (dealer received)
4200 = Shipped: 05/05/09 (according to the dealer)
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 05/26/09
6000 = Delivered To Customer: 05/26/09
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #38
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Wow man, some of you are really lame.

Have read the Original post multiple times trying to see what's so offensive about it. The guy sounds like a Camaro fan just like anyone else with maybe a different level of knowledge than "experts" (OH damn, someones differen't... time to make fun) I guess some of you never did graduate highschool.

Anyways, not everyone knows everything there is to know about the Camaro. "He doesn't know about the telescopic steering !!! BAN HIM !!" lol...

To the OP. Who seems to really want the car but is just worried about being able to drive it comfortably. (Pretty damn reasonable since most people want to be comfortable driving their new car, rather than just look good parked in it, or be a liability on the road under constant anxiety.)

I have a smaller build so I don't have the same issues however, I do feel the visibility restriction as most people do. However I chose to order mine and learn to adapt. I love the car enough and the visibility isn't life/death for me.

And the issue you talked about with the rear view mirror... Seems to have been covered previously (I believe someone posted it as well as a fix of some kind... involving flipping the mirror upside down to gain visibility I believe).

I personally would suggest getting in a Camaro and actually putting it to the test.. You aren't going to know 100% for sure whether or not it'll work for you or not unless you drive it and use those mirrors in a real world situation (not a safe in the showroom situation). Then and only then will you either get the reassurance you need to make your purchase in confidence, or the confirmation that your concerns are valid with no resolution in sight.

I can somewhat relate, as I was having a lot of trouble deciding between Auto/Manual.

I've driven Auto for 11 years and never touched a standard. Growing up I always just kind of assumed muscle cars were standard.. Having been to the drag strips, having been in some nice hot rods, and a lot of movies.... all I've seen is standard so I grew up wanting a standard muscle car.

A lot of factors came into play and I did order myself a standard, but I will say that I didn't get fully comfortable with my decision until I went ahead and took some lessons in a standard... to get used to things b4 my car gets delivered.. I didn't wanna beat up on the new car too bad.

Anyways, the more I drive, the better I'm feeling about my choice, as I am adapting pretty quickly. Sounds like a similar sort of "adapting curve" that others have spoken about having with adjusting to the view and mirrors etc...

So perhaps after some time driving in one yourself you might feel better too.

btw, I believe the forums intended for people who are enthusiastic about the Camaro.. to learn about it or share the wealths of information that get shared here on a regular basis.

No where did I read you had to be an expert?? or hadddddd to own a 2010 Camaro.

No such thing as a stupid question, it would be stupid not to question.

Good luck with your decision. And don't get worked up and leave the forum over a couple lippy people behind computers.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #39
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Have read the Original post multiple times trying to see what's so offensive about it. The guy sounds like a Camaro fan just like anyone else with maybe a different level of knowledge than "experts" (OH damn, someones differen't... time to make fun) I guess some of you never did graduate highschool.

Anyways, not everyone knows everything there is to know about the Camaro. "He doesn't know about the telescopic steering !!! BAN HIM !!" lol...

To the OP. Who seems to really want the car but is just worried about being able to drive it comfortably. (Pretty damn reasonable since most people want to be comfortable driving their new car, rather than just look good parked in it, or be a liability on the road under constant anxiety.)

I have a smaller build so I don't have the same issues however, I do feel the visibility restriction as most people do. However I chose to order mine and learn to adapt. I love the car enough and the visibility isn't life/death for me.

And the issue you talked about with the rear view mirror... Seems to have been covered previously (I believe someone posted it as well as a fix of some kind... involving flipping the mirror upside down to gain visibility I believe).

I personally would suggest getting in a Camaro and actually putting it to the test.. You aren't going to know 100% for sure whether or not it'll work for you or not unless you drive it and use those mirrors in a real world situation (not a safe in the showroom situation). Then and only then will you either get the reassurance you need to make your purchase in confidence, or the confirmation that your concerns are valid with no resolution in sight.

I can somewhat relate, as I was having a lot of trouble deciding between Auto/Manual.

I've driven Auto for 11 years and never touched a standard. Growing up I always just kind of assumed muscle cars were standard.. Having been to the drag strips, having been in some nice hot rods, and a lot of movies.... all I've seen is standard so I grew up wanting a standard muscle car.

A lot of factors came into play and I did order myself a standard, but I will say that I didn't get fully comfortable with my decision until I went ahead and took some lessons in a standard... to get used to things b4 my car gets delivered.. I didn't wanna beat up on the new car too bad.

Anyways, the more I drive, the better I'm feeling about my choice, as I am adapting pretty quickly. Sounds like a similar sort of "adapting curve" that others have spoken about having with adjusting to the view and mirrors etc...

btw, I believe the forums intended for people who are enthusiastic about the Camaro.. to learn about it or share the wealths of information that get shared here on a regular basis.

Good luck with your decision. And don't get worked up and leave the forum over a couple lippy people behind computers.

but he makes it sound ,to me anyway that he only has sat in a car once

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #40
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I just want to look good parked...

On a serious note, I personally don't like the blackout on the front windshield behind the mirror. With a 2SS, it is almost fully covered however with a 1SS (the mirror is slightly smaller) then you do see the black around it and it is annoying to say the least.. Just my observation..
Old 06-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #41
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

some of the posts in this thread are just ridiculous. Almost the whole first page, all I could think to myself was "wow, these people need to grow up..." I felt like I was back in high school again for a moment...
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #42
mbauer14085RS/SS2010

Drives: 99 blazer/2010 2ss/rs iom now
i can agree to the visability issue the first time i sat in one i was like wow wtf did i get myself into. now mind you i hadnt played with the seats or mirrors at all. i went back to the dealer a week later and sat in one again and i adjusted the mirrors and seats and the visability was much better. and theres also the mirror flip fix if i want more room. almost everyone i have asked so far said the view out the front window is a change but after a couple days they get used to it and their only problem for the most part is backing up.
3800 Order produced (6/16/09)2G1FK1EJ3A9117972
4000 Available to ship (6/16/09)
4200 Shipped (6/19/09)
4300 Intermediate Delivery(6/20/09)
5000 Delivered to the dealer(6/22/09)
6000 Delivered to the customer (6/27/09)
mbauer14085RS/SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote