Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
scrboy2002@aol.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IBM White Rally M6 SROOF
Exclamation DO I really need a tune?

Okay. So,I;ve just ordered a set of 1 7/8" Dynatech Headers with 2.5" collectors, 2.5 COrsa Catback exhaust, and a Roto-Fab CAI.

I've got a guy telling me $350 for install?

Sound good?
Also says +$400 for a dyno tune. Do I need a tune? I am NOT looking to void my warranty, and I know a tune would kill it. Suggestions, please!
scrboy2002@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
1. Why did you order all of this stuff if you are worried about your warranty?
2. Who did you buy it from and what is their suggestion?
3. Sounds like a high price for a 3 hour project that you could do in your garage.
4. The only way to be sure that you are getting the most of your additions and to be sure that you are not going to encounter a lean situation (blown motor), you should have it tuned and dyno tested.
5. You could spend the bucks that he is going to charge you for a tune and buy a diablo from Jannetty Racing.....he will give you the custom tune for free and then you will have a tool to put the tune back to stock as well as a tool to do data logging and erase codes if they arise.
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I personally would get a handhel tuner like Diablo or SCT. If you purchase it from a C5 vendor they will include a custom tune for the mods you have at no cost. So you'll save alittle bit of money this route and then you'll also be able to flash the ECM back to stock if you go in for warranty work. The only thing that may come up with the stock tune with LT headers is the CEL warning, but not everyone has this problem. If you get a custom dyno tune you need to pay the tuner everytime you want a change and from what I understand you can't hide the tune by flashing back to stock. I personally would save a dyno tune for majors mods, like a cam install. Do you have an LS3 or L99?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
$350 for install doesn't really sound that bad. As far as a tune goes... You're going to end up with a check engine light if you don't have a tune, and you have no gaurantee that it's going to run efficiently.

If you want to modify your car, you should be ready and willing to give up your powertrain warranty.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
1) Install the CAI yourself. It is really simple and can be done in less then 30 mins.

2) You do not NEED a tune for the mods you have. If your headers are long tubes then you might want to look into a tune later down the road but it's not needed.

3) $350 install is way to much. A complete exhaust can be installed in 2 hours in your garage with your car on jack stands. Somewhere with a lift can do it quicker. Personally I wouldn't pay no more then $200 for install, $150 preferred.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
1) Install the CAI yourself. It is really simple and can be done in less then 30 mins.

2) You do not NEED a tune for the mods you have. If your headers are long tubes then you might want to look into a tune later down the road but it's not needed.

3) $350 install is way to much. A complete exhaust can be installed in 2 hours in your garage with your car on jack stands. Somewhere with a lift can do it quicker. Personally I wouldn't pay no more then $200 for install, $150 preferred.
Not everyone is as Handy as you Draco, a customer just reported an 8 hour install of just headers and cats, so he was struggling a bit.

Most handy guys are doing it in 4-5 hours for headers, cats, and full cat back making sure everything lines up nice.

350.00 is a very fair price for CAI, Headers, Cats, and exhaust install, Remember Labor Rates Vary from 50-150 per hour depending on where you live.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I personally would get a handhel tuner like Diablo or SCT. If you purchase it from a C5 vendor they will include a custom tune for the mods you have at no cost. So you'll save alittle bit of money this route and then you'll also be able to flash the ECM back to stock if you go in for warranty work. The only thing that may come up with the stock tune with LT headers is the CEL warning, but not everyone has this problem. If you get a custom dyno tune you need to pay the tuner everytime you want a change and from what I understand you can't hide the tune by flashing back to stock. I personally would save a dyno tune for majors mods, like a cam install. Do you have an LS3 or L99?
Not necessarily. My local performance shop charges $400 for custom dyno tuning which includes all future tuning as upgrades/needs require. A good alternative for those of us who wish to leave the tuning to the professionals.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Not necessarily. My local performance shop charges $400 for custom dyno tuning which includes all future tuning as upgrades/needs require. A good alternative for those of us who wish to leave the tuning to the professionals.

I got my handheld from Jannetty Racing and he has done all of my tunes and I can assure you that my tunes are done by a professional as well (Ted Jannetty). As a matter of fact, Ted sent me my recent tune and I did some data logging. He got it dead on first time! When I took it in for the dyno run, the guy had every opportunity to change anything he wanted but He said "this is dead on ....somebody knows what they are doing!"
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.

Last edited by BlownSS; 06-15-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
scrboy2002@aol.com
Account Suspended

Okay, so I should purchase a Diablo tuner?

Then all of the "tunes" and/or "programs" they create offline, and i download them to the portable tuner?

Ive never done any mods to my Vettes, Camaros and Trans-ams that required tuning, so tuning is to me like the republican party to Obama.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
scrboy2002@aol.com
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post

Its a 6M.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrboy2002@aol.com View Post
Okay, so I should purchase a Diablo tuner?

Then all of the "tunes" and/or "programs" they create offline, and i download them to the portable tuner?

Ive never done any mods to my Vettes, Camaros and Trans-ams that required tuning, so tuning is to me like the republican party to Obama.
The reason that I went with Jannetty and my Diablo was because there is nobody where i live that I would trust to do my tune. I Heard nothing but excellent feedback about Jannetty and so I figured that if they were the Best, then I could trust them. Do you trust your local tuners with your engine? I mean do you trust that if they make a mistake, it could blow up your motor and YOU would be at fault? That's how much I trust my tuner.. Its a lot to consider!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #12
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Those prices seem fair to me.

Nothing beats a tune with a proffesional logging/tuning in person. A good tune will help the car live a long life.

So far,none of the cars we've tuned have been voided on warrenty.This includes the 100's of other cars we've done -ie -G8's,GTO's,Vette's,trucks ect.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

We installed a complete ARH LT system right to the muffler tips on a hoist. There is no way you can remove the stock exhaust system and replace it on jack stands in 2 hours. Good luck. Why mislead somebody.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
jeffa55

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Camaro 6M Cyber Grey
I completely agree. I just did my ARH full system and it probably took about 6-8 hours. Just think about the steps
1 - disconnect battery (once you dig down to it)
2 - remove engine cover
3 - remove steering link
4 - remove dipstick
5 - remove plug wires (this sounds easy - not so)
6 - disconnect front exhaust connectors
7 - remove cross brace
8 - remove rear section of exhaust (have fun with the rubber hangers over the mufflers)
9 - disconnect O2 sensors
10 - remove manifolds (the bolts are tight the whole way out due to locking compound and you better have a good set of different length extensions and small hands)
11 - remove O2 sensors - I actually just bought new ones for the new exhaust.
12 - install new headers
13 - connect pipes and install (better have two people)
14 - reconnect all that stuff up above.

NO way this can be done in 2 hours
jeffa55 is offline   Reply With Quote