Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Terrible circumstances...but "good" results! GM beat expectations, and Toyota failed miserably.

Regarding my feelings towards Toyota, since it was brought up. I don't like their business practices...I don't like any of their cars...and I root for the home team; and they are GM's toughest competition.

But more directly; I dispise the reputation they've achieved and somehow maintained. For instance, look at the Cavalier, BOTH versions of it...as in the Toyota Cavalier, and the Chevy Cavalier....guess which one's people would have rather bought? Even though they're the exact same vehicle..... Due mostly to that, Toyota is poised to overtake GM in total sales, and I think it's ridiculous. So I celebrate anything that hurts them, frankly. So to see them loose nearly DOUBLE the sales that GM lost makes me very happy.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
For instance, look at the Cavalier, BOTH versions of it...as in the Toyota Cavalier, and the Chevy Cavalier....guess which one's people would have rather bought? Even though they're the exact same vehicle.....
to use a recent example, Vibe/Matrix
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
This is all actually pretty scary and could change the face of the car business as we know it.

On the flip side of that, those who are able to buy will likely get killer deals right now. Dealers will practically give the cars away to lower their monthly expenditures on insurance, lot space, etc.

I agree, I don't see how anyone can be happy about any part of this story.
The economy is going to shit and unemployment will shortly skyrocket.
Credit may soon become nearly non existent.
Don't have cash you will HAVE to keep that old car going or walk.
The 25 billion dollar bailout for the big 3 may be money down the tubes.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But more directly; I dispise the reputation they've achieved and somehow maintained. For instance, look at the Cavalier, BOTH versions of it...as in the Toyota Cavalier, and the Chevy Cavalier....guess which one's people would have rather bought? Even though they're the exact same vehicle..... Due mostly to that, Toyota is poised to overtake GM in total sales, and I think it's ridiculous. So I celebrate anything that hurts them, frankly. So to see them loose nearly DOUBLE the sales that GM lost makes me very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
to use a recent example, Vibe/Matrix
Interesting stuff. I never knew they shared cars like that. Thanks for the education.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #19
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/flowchar...-chrysler.html

Quote:
Detroit desperately needs the help. Many analysts expect all three domestic car companies to face a life-threatening crisis if the U.S. car market, down about 20 percent so far this year, stays in the doldrums. GM and Ford could start to run out of cash by the second half of 2009, a precursor to declaring bankruptcy. Chrysler's finances are now private, but its sales are down even more than at Ford and GM, and it may be starting to bleed its corporate parent, Cerberus.

The idea behind the loans is to buy time while the Detroit 3 revamp their lineups, develop new hybrids and other fuel-sippers, and convert old SUV plants into factories turning out hot cars able to compete with those from Toyota and Honda. "I think they're on the verge of really turning the page," says Stabenow. But Detroit has fallen mightily. Consumers reeling from $4 gas have fled the big trucks and SUVs that the manufacturers milked for two decades, and Detroit's smaller cars tend to rate poorly compared with competitors. The domestics' U.S. market share is now about 48 percent, a staggering fall of nearly 20 points since the start of the decade. Fitch Ratings expects GM and Ford to produce about 1.3 million fewer cars this year than in 2007. Even cheap loans will do little to help erase years of red ink. "Even if they had positive cash flow," says Mark Oline of Fitch, "it's going to take some time to make a dent in their debt load."

There's more aid coming. This year's $25 billion is just a down payment. The automakers now plan to ask the government for another $25 billion in loans next year. It's just spare change, after all.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Interesting stuff. I never knew they shared cars like that. Thanks for the education.
A lot of people don't.

Funny conversation I was in once...

A guy I know: Yeah, we bought a toyota matrix, it's great.
Me: Why didn't you just get a Pontiac Vibe?
Guy: Dude, are you kidding me? Why would I get a Pontiac, they suck! Especially the Vibe!
Me: They're the same exact car.
Guy: Oh...uhh...

Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
So this is the second post where you guys beat up on Toyota. Why them and not Nissan and Honda?
Oh don't get us wrong, we don't like Honda either. Their cars are just as bland, uninspired, and underpowered as Toyota's.

I actually like Nissan. Yeah, I said it. They're able to make good looking cars without sacrificing quality or performance. The 350z is a blast to drive, and I certainly wouldn't mind a GT-R either. I would buy a Nissan way before any other Japanese brand.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #22
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Their cars are just as bland, uninspired, and underpowered as Toyota's.
Tell that to my 4Runner

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
I agree, I don't see how anyone can be happy about any part of this story.
The economy is going to shit and unemployment will shortly skyrocket.
Credit may soon become nearly non existent.
Don't have cash you will HAVE to keep that old car going or walk.
The 25 billion dollar bailout for the big 3 may be money down the tubes.
Its not that we are happy that the US economy is down. We are happy that GM did significantly better than the competition.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #24
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Tell that to my 4Runner
That was directed towards the cars.

The 4runner is just overpriced.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #25
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post

You just used a smiley....

Are you gonna be ok??? Will you have to go on another 8 month hiatus???

I can edit your post for you if you'd like... no one has to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
maybe, we will see i will have to see how sick i feel by this afternoon

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote