Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: Which plan of action is most likely?
A: 1SS RS within a reasonable time 8 19.51%
B: 1SS within a reasonable time 14 34.15%
C: used Corvette 8 19.51%
D: 1LT RS, motor swap, sleeper 4 9.76%
E: 2LT RS, lots of mods, trade 0 0%
F: Cobalt SS 3 7.32%
G: GM fails 2 4.88%
H: car dies, fourth generation Camaro 1 2.44%
I: car dies, car auction with possibility of death 0 0%
J: car dies, beater, then 6th generation Camaro 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Backup Plans

I'm still struggling. My last thread about making decisions led to some compelling arguments. Predictably, the majority of voters want me to get a Camaro over a used Corvette. Those who privately and publicly posted arguments for the Corvette provided some very compelling arguments. Those who pointed out that the Camaro is why I am here also provided some compelling arguments. Both sides rightfully advised careful financing. I, of course, will be careful regardless of what I buy, but now I am further conflicted. Review these backup plans that I have compiled. This advice will easily apply to anyone coming out of college or high school who really wants some muscle in their garage.

Vote.

Plan A
I get a Camaro 1SS RS in a reasonable period of time. My job pays me enough to buy the car of my dreams before 2012. I put down a payment approximating half the value of the car or more and can afford the payments thereafter. The likelihood of this plan is quickly diminishing.

Plan B
I get a Camaro 1SS without the RS package as a compromise between a job that doesn't pay enough and my dream. If I really want the HIDs, I'll get them later by talking with a dealer and swapping headlights that are bound to be available eventually. If they are difficult to wire, I will find someone capable of wiring them. I get the car before or during 2012 in order to save the same down payment.

Plan C
I get a used Corvette. This car, also being a dream and future goal, can be tuned, modified, and relished for years to come. It may not have the LS3 or equivalent power, but it will be lighter and will be the fastest car I've ever owned. Future plans for this car would include a motor swap instead of a new car in a few years.

Plan D
I get a Camaro 1LT RS in late 2010 or early 2011. Like the Corvette, the goal is a motor swap in a couple of years. I purchase the GMPP grille, conceal or remove and RS badging, creating a V6-looking Camaro with a V8 inside. This becomes my scary track monster as I get a new car in a few years.

Plan E
I get a Camaro 2LT RS in 2011 and trade for a Camaro SS in a couple of years. I will want a V8, but I will have blown any motor swap money on modifications to make me happy about other aspects of the car, including rims and a sound system. Those components will fit on the SS when I finally get it, but the wait will be long.

Plan F
I get a Cobalt SS. If I get a supercharged model, I will get the highest stage available to crush rival Focus and Mustang drivers and keep up with Camaros. If I get the turbocharged version, I will tune until I can beat a Camaro SS, but I will still want a RWD V8, no matter how nice my American compact is.

Plan G
GM fails before I can buy a Camaro to my specifications. I cry a lot in this plan, but I eventually decide to get something unique. I would probably consider a refurbished DeLorean with a SBC motor, if I can find one. Other alternatives all include getting classic cars as daily drivers or cars that I can pimp.

Plan H
My current car dies. I purchase a used fourth generation Camaro SS with as few miles as possible. While I enjoy this ride, I wish I had a new Camaro, and am thus frustrated with the small imperfections of my used car which are still better than the substantial imperfections of my current car.

Plan I
My current car dies. I purchase something at a police auction, resulting in one of two conclusions. The first conclusion is that I get an acceptable car for an even cheaper price, but it serves to hold me over until I get a Camaro. If this car is a police car, I modify it and beat some people at the track every once in a while. The second conclusion is that I accidently purchase a car that used to belong to a member of the mob, mafia, or gang in the area. I get shot, blown up, or shanked, resulting in death. Camaro5 mysteriously stops receiving posts from The_Blur, only explained by local obituaries in the area of my residence.

Plan J
My current car dies. I am forced to purchase another beater until I can afford a Camaro. The sixth generation comes out, but it is not the car I loved in 2006 and made my goal in 2008. Eventually, I get a fifth generation Camaro used or a new sixth generation Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 02-22-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: edit
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
I have a Cobalt SS/SC its fun as hell I would advise getting the SS/TC with the no lift shift 55 more horse and way more fun!!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
My advice would be to not listen to anything anyone else says. Do some soul searching first and figure out what it is that YOU really want. It's your car and your future. Do what you believe will make you happy and remember you only live once and you should make the best out of what you have.

Or you can completely ignore my post.

Either way it's your choice and no one elses.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I agree with Milk on this one. Do what is right for you put some serious thought into it. And I would also add to Milk's post by saying that soon you won't be just you anymore. Remember that ring? You will soon have somebody else who is effected by your decisions. My biggest suggestion is that you seriously ask her for her opinion. I remember you saying you probably weren't getting married for a few years, but you still have to consider her in your plans.

OK I know you have probably already done this, you seem like a good kid with a good head on your shoulders. Just do right by "you and yours" and we will see you on the otherside.

Now I will go give my opinion since you went through all the trouble of making a poll.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Plan A if you can, obvously. Otherwise I reccomend Option D for what you want to do to it. I like the idea of a super-track monster. Option E might put you out of a lot of money...

But in the meantime you still have the enjoyment of a moderate performer with an attitude. If you can't afford to "go big or go home" like you seem to want to do, I see no reason you should compromise your 5thgen Camaro dreams with a 'Vette or some junker. my .02
Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I voted B, just for discussions sake.

After having talked with you for a while now, Blur, I think its the one you'll be happiest with/most able to pursue. Remember that if while pursuing option B you run into financial difficulties, you can always put the time frame back to that of option A.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just wanted to point out something for option G. If GM goes under in the next couple years (which I doubt), you'd still be able to get a used '10 or '11 model when you have the means. You don't necessarily need to go to another manufacturer.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I just wanted to point out something for option G. If GM goes under in the next couple years (which I doubt), you'd still be able to get a used '10 or '11 model when you have the means. You don't necessarily need to go to another manufacturer.
This is a very good point. Though I have occassionally wondered if it would be better to just spend 30 grand on an old classic with a new fuel injected vortech v8 to go in it and a 5 or 6 speed tranny - should get decent gas mileage that way. But the nickel and diming would kill me.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
PLAN K: Decide on your own so you're happy with the decision, THEN call CAMARO SCOTTY to plan in MOTION! ;-)
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I've considered that route. My concern is that I simply don't know enough about the potential problems with restorations that I could hit. Obviously, I would have to do extensive research. I've come to the conclusion that people sell classics because they can't afford to fix them properly or because they need the money from a proper build back in their wallets. The first cars might seem like a good deal until your 1969 Camaro SS breaks down on the way to a very important meaning. If I have a classic, I want to know that it was done right, and that's very difficult to investigate. The second set of cars are being sold to make money, and those aren't cheap. I've seen first and second generation Camaros go for outrageous price tags. Clearly, I can't afford that.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Plan B - Face it, you're here for the Camaro. You might not be able to get the 1SS/RS, but I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the 1SS. You can make any RS-type upgrades (or maybe even better ones) in the future when your job allows it.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
A B or C are fine options... I voted vette though.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
PLAN K: Decide on your own so you're happy with the decision, THEN call CAMARO SCOTTY to plan in MOTION! ;-)
This guy speaks the truth listen to yourself and no one else. In the end it's your decision.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
This guy speaks the truth listen to yourself and no one else. In the end it's your decision.
We're already in touch. I can tell you all that CamaroScotty has been a good contact so far, and I look forward to closing the transaction with him sometime in the future.

I posted this thread to get feedback. I've also been in touch with a V6 advocate who has discusses some V6 alternatives that will create some serious power. When we finally make our purchases, the idea of a Camaro LT RS is not out of the question. It would make a beautify daily driver with the opportunity for modification over several years.