Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
gedixon
ZL1 #288

Drives: Daily Driver: Tahoe
Out of curiosity ... How much was the 5 year extended warranty? Picking my car up tomorrow.
gedixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
My issue is that they are touting it as a track car.
Yeah extended waranties are odd sometimes though. Is it a GM extended waranty or third party? Just because GM will make statements about standing behind the facotry waranty at the track does not mean they will extend it if that makes sense.

GM's waranty model right now is basically 5 years powertrain. they throw the 100k on there for people who drive a ton.

Lets face it if you really track you car it is not going to last forever without maintence/wear so nobody smart is goign to give you 10 years on a car you track or should anybody expect to go that long without having to replace parts.

a waranty is ment to cover defects not worn out parts.

I would not buy the extended waranty personally unless I was going to baby the car. I you want to do any mods or track you car I would not do it personally for fear if I had to use it they would deny me.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
ZoomZoom
R6P Owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Warranty

I paid 2,300 for it because it will sit for extended periods of time. I was told it cost the dealer 1,400. It is a third party. My dealer said they will warranty anything as long as I won!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
I paid 2,300 for it because it will sit for extended periods of time. I was told it cost the dealer 1,400. It is a third party. My dealer said they will warranty anything as long as I won!
Those warranties are usually pure profit. We got one for the hen's cruze for 5 years or 100k, listed at 1950, paid 700. Gm through the dealer.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
Yeah extended waranties are odd sometimes though. Is it a GM extended waranty or third party? Just because GM will make statements about standing behind the facotry waranty at the track does not mean they will extend it if that makes sense.

GM's waranty model right now is basically 5 years powertrain. they throw the 100k on there for people who drive a ton.

Lets face it if you really track you car it is not going to last forever without maintence/wear so nobody smart is goign to give you 10 years on a car you track or should anybody expect to go that long without having to replace parts.

a waranty is ment to cover defects not worn out parts.

I would not buy the extended waranty personally unless I was going to baby the car. I you want to do any mods or track you car I would not do it personally for fear if I had to use it they would deny me.

Added to that many times, the warranty they sale, touting it as a chevy warranty, is not in fact a GM sponsored warranty, but a third party warranty that they have been talked into selling as they (the dealership) make huge profits off of them since they are worth little more than the paper they are printed on.

The one I bought actually is backed by Rick Hendricks, the owner of the dealership where I bought the camaro. They clearly and at the beginning stated that fact. Many dealers do not so you must verify that the one they are selling is actually the GM warranty not a third party "Chevy" warranty.

(I will add that the honesty of Rick Hendricks Chevrolet was proven through all my dealings with them, and they very obviously truly wanted me to be happy with my purchase when it was all said and done. I am not implying they were trying to pull a fast one by selling thier own instead of the GM warranty, it was stated from the first and the warranty they have far exceedes the GM warranty in multiple cases, as well as being cheaper so I had no problem buying it, and would do so again)
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
so you pay for a FAST car to go pick up groceries ? screw that...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
tmandoug. In this situation the best answer you've received is the one from your dealer. If all else fails and GM is not willing to cover you for racing or competing with your vehicle then it would fall on your dealer to cover you. Just like with modifications. I'll do what I can to look into this for you to see if there are any sort of stipulations on the warranty for the ZL1. Hopefully I'll have something back soon.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This is one reason I never buy extended warranties... the factory warranty is about as good as it gets...

...and with a performance car you blow two warranties as soon as you make some simple performance mods.

at least you know what you can and can't do now with your new extended warranty. I believe there is also a way to cancel and get most of your $$$ back..
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
kush396

Drives: chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
sorry for going off this thread , but if this is a ZL1 speedo or a Canadain, not sure.... but my speedo says 200 mph not 180mph?????
kush396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Camaro Team has stated time and again that the car, unmodified, and not abused...will have its warranty honored should something break at a non-competitive racing event. I've myself heard those words come out of Al Oppenheiser's mouth in person. But I imagine this means that the diff fluid needs to be changed and a small host of other things to ensure the vehicle is prepped.

It IS a track car - and when warranty claims make their way up the chain, I'm confident the Camaro team will honor claims where appropriate...

The problem is.....they're not writing that anywhere (at least not yet - I imagine the legal department had a cow when this was proposed). And so this warranty/ZL1/track thing requires a decent amount of trust on the part of the consumer....
Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #25
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Camaro Team has stated time and again that the car, unmodified, and not abused...will have its warranty honored should something break at a non-competitive racing event. I've myself heard those words come out of Al Oppenheiser's mouth in person. But I imagine this means that the diff fluid needs to be changed and a small host of other things to ensure the vehicle is prepped.

It IS a track car - and when warranty claims make their way up the chain, I'm confident the Camaro team will honor claims where appropriate...

The problem is.....they're not writing that anywhere (at least not yet - I imagine the legal department had a cow when this was proposed). And so this warranty/ZL1/track thing requires a decent amount of trust on the part of the consumer....
Abuse is a very broad statement. Non-Competitive race event seems like an oxy-moron. Bingo, not writing it anywhere.

If your hard on the car expect to pay out of pocket. They will be damn careful about covering drag racing and such as well cause if one gets through the flood gates will open.

When they show these cars burning rubber, drag racing, doing the ring ......... they are showing what the car is capable of, not what they will cover. They cover daily driving that does not entail the rpm's getting pegged all night and such.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #26
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Arizona has unlimited speed.....I'm goin....count me in..
Huh? I live here and no where is that posted....Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Join the Corvette clubs pain. They have dealt with this for YEARS

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
Dyno1

Drives: 2023 2SS 6 speed Rapid Blue
$$$

I have had friends in the business, service writers for Chev., the only extended warranty to buy is from GM, all the others are junk. There have been many companies that have been in the business that are not there when you need them. Watch your hard earned money. Dyno
Dyno1 is offline   Reply With Quote