Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Leasing a car is nothing like renting a house. House ALWAYS go up in value.
But that won't matter because you don't own it. So even though the items (house v car) are radically different in terms of value, the act of renting a house/apt. is like leasing a car. You put money into something you'll never own, right?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Leasing a car is nothing like renting a house. House ALWAYS go up in value. aside from very temporary economic downturns, your house is guaranteed to gain long term value.
This is not very comforting to someone who just bought a house which lost 1/2 it's value. It could be 10-20 years before it regains that much value (if ever) and you're "locked" into owning a house until the value is high again.

Quote:
Your car is the exact opposite, it's guaranteed to lose value. Renting a house is a bad idea because its good to pile all your money into owning a house, a house is an investment. A car is not an investment, it's an expense.
I know many people who invested in cars and made out well. I see cars at auction from the 50's and 60's that sell for 10-100 times their sticker price. You just have to pick the right car and take care of it for the time period.

Car leases remind me of "Rent-a-center" and "Aarons". These places "rent" you an item for twice what you can buy it outright for. Here's a clue about how it works: the car leasing company is in the business of MAKING MONEY. If they didn't make more money doing it they wouldn't bother offering it and pushing it with so much advertising.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
They will offer leasing I'm sure but you will be paying pretty close to what it would cost to just buy it. Leasing is a big part of why they are in trouble now. My Silverado is a lease..when they get it back they are going to lose big time on it. I made out OK with it but I would wanna own this car. I have no intentions of giving it back.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
You can buy mine off of me when I sell in the next year to get HUD. I'm sure there will be used ones within a year or so anyway.

Doesn't sound like you are in much of a hurry to buy so just wait it out (if you have the patience!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fad1 View Post
Wow, by the way that thread is going, its going to be pretty tough. I may just wait a little longer to buy an SS
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I don't see leasing being an advantage over buying for a LONG time... Leasing cost the companies big $$$$ in lost values....They'll be well protected in losing money in the future - maening more expensive leases.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Yeah, I guess I can wait it out, and yes, I am in no hurry. Thanks a lot all
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Also you mentioned GM's lease rates being super high, but others say GM isn't doing any leases at all... soooo which is it? Do they have poor leases or no leases?
Granted it's been since Nov, but last I heard was that GM is still leasing but they have increased the requirements and the cost so high that those who HAVE to lease still can but is better off going somewhere else and those who do it just because they can or just because they want the "flavor of the month" vehicle will think twice about leasing.

Pretty much what it comes down to is that GM is trying to get out of leasing but as long as there are people who are willing to jump though a thousand burning hoops, covered in oil, naked and will pay invoice for the car just to drive it for a couple years, they will.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #22
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
There will be no leases and probably not even smartbuys on this vehicle
Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #23
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
you can lease through a bank, thats what I am doing since I am only planning to keep the car for 5 years max

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #24
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
so why wouldnt you just finance for 5 years?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #25
AirBoyzT
Deployed OIF Basrah, Iraq

Drives: Future Camaro
they really offer 84 month financing now??
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #26
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
If you need to finance a car for that long, you really should be buying a cheaper car (unless its 0%, then its a whole other story :-) )
Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
AirBoyzT
Deployed OIF Basrah, Iraq

Drives: Future Camaro
Quote:
If you need to finance a car for that long, you really should be buying a cheaper car (unless its 0%, then its a whole other story :-) )
I wasn't saying that, I was just wondering....