Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #57
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
I agree that cars are made to be driven, but "daily driver" means just that.

"Daily" being rain, sleet, snow or sun....summer and winter.

I doubt many will actually be "daily drivers".

Mine will be. Rain, sleet, snow, and shine..
Only thing I might do different if I start seeing a lot of miles add up I might get me a second car but just to offset mileage, not to park the Z.
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #58
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
As long as you guys don't take it to a Walmart all will be good :-)
What you talkin bout Willis?
This car was made to take to Walmart!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173131

I look at it this way... If you keep your ZL1 sleeping in a nice cozy garage....
IT will never be the Mustang Chaser it was designed for. Toyota's (read the link) were not designed to chase Mustang's down to eat them for dinner like fbodfather and the entire Camaro Team created your Zl1 to do!
Just saying.....
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #59
SRM
New England Daily Driver

Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM
I haven't read the entire thread but I am also one who daily drives my Camaro. It's going into it's 3rd winter and I just don't see how folks can garage them.

I daily drove my 2000 z28 for 7 years.
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #60
'StangBlaster5000

Drives: Waiting for the 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
HAHAHA...no. Please be more respectful. Many people in this price range stretch to their limits to afford the vehicle. It's the primary reason Corvette sales dropped so rapidly in '08-'09.

"real" is a manner of perspective, and it would serve us all well to try and see all sides.
I agree with your point, I really don't care if I was a millionaire or an average joe, I would never buy a new car, just to leave it in my garage, no new car appreciates in value (And lets just be honest, how many of us will be around in 50 years to find out if our garage kept never driven ZL1 is now worth 250K?), so you are just throwing money away by NOT driving it.
'StangBlaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #61
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
If you live in an area with good weather (no snow, salt spreading, hail, hurricane and tornado regions, etc.) and if you have ample parking for work and shopping, then daily driving would be easier with a good car.

In my situation, if you combine winter weather, salt spreadings, traffic congestion at work and near home, crowded shopping areas, potholes and road construction, one could easily see why a person would choose not to drive a good car everyday. On the other hand, a lot of people drive their good cars everywhere, rain or shine in NY. Unfortunately those factors can make a car age faster, and in time one would end up replacing a car due to wear.

A ZL1 will not be made for very long, and my aim is to keep it in mint condition indefinitely. I wouldn't want to end up doing body work and suspension repair and other maintenance issues as a result of abuse from daily driving. I want my ZL1 to look good and feel good for ages, while remaining in original condition.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #62
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
I don't think I have been disrespectful. Someone calls me ignorant for having an opinion, and in that instance laughing outloud on the forum is a respectful response, because if it were to my face, buddy would have a bloody nose.

The ZL1 is a poor choice as a daily driver. Poor choice for the car, poor choice for the owner. I ain't saying I won't drive mine every chance I get, but as your only vehicle, its not wise.
I think the primary reason for trying to justify the ZL1 as a daily driver is to satisfy one's mind that over-extending yourself credit wise is ok, 'cause its your daily driver.
If this is the reason, then it's precisely the kind of thinking that ruined the American economy, and why there are so many forclosures. ..over-consumerism.

If you can afford a daily driver and you don't, for the sake of making the ZL1 your daily driver, then that is just a poor choice, or you don't work, shop, or park or live in an area with rain or snow or gravel. It isn't that the car will melt if it gets wet, but good luck not wiping out and destroying your ZL1 in the rain, or being the neighborhood snow plow, cause its too low. Its only common sense, which is lacking in a large number of people these days.

Again, only my opinion, as I don't understand the reasoning behind making this car a daily driver. Its a purpose built performance vehicle not a grocery getter. As I stated earlier, in the end its your choice what to do with your car, I just don't understand, and haven't seen any logical reasoning to suggest this car would make a good choice as a daily driver.

And besides that, how does not using the car as a daily driver mean it won't be driven, or is going to just sit in a garage exactly. I don't follow how that line of reasoning, cause its an assumption which is wrong at least in my case.

Last edited by 2012ZL1; 10-30-2011 at 01:28 PM.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #63
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
I don't think I have been disrespectful. Someone calls me ignorant for having an opinion, and in that instance laughing outloud on the forum is a respectful response, because if it were to my face, buddy would have a bloody nose.

The ZL1 is a poor choice as a daily driver. Poor choice for the car, poor choice for the owner. I ain't saying I won't drive mine every chance I get, but as your only vehicle, its not wise.
I think the primary reason for trying to justify the ZL1 as a daily driver is to satisfy one's mind that over-extending yourself credit wise is ok, 'cause its your daily driver.
If this is the reason, then it's precisely the kind of thinking that ruined the American economy, and why there are so many forclosures. ..over-consumerism.

If you can afford a daily driver and you don't, for the sake of making the ZL1 your daily driver, then that is just a poor choice, or you don't work, shop, or park or live in an area with rain or snow or gravel. It isn't that the car will melt if it gets wet, but good luck not wiping out and destroying your ZL1 in the rain, or being the neighborhood snow plow, cause its too low. Its only common sense, which is lacking in a large number of people these days.

Again, only my opinion, as I don't understand the reasoning behind making this car a daily driver. Its a purpose built performance vehicle not a grocery getter. As I stated earlier, in the end its your choice what to do with your car, I just don't understand, and haven't seen any logical reasoning to suggest this car would make a good choice as a daily driver.

And besides that, how does not using the car as a daily driver mean it won't be driven, or is going to just sit in a garage exactly. I don't follow how that line of reasoning, cause its an assumption which is wrong at least in my case.
You say you haven't "seen any logical reasoning to suggest this car would make a good choice as a daily driver" - well, I haven't seen anything to suggest why it wouldn't be.

What I have seen is a Tour setting on the MR to make the suspension softer specifically for the day to day drive when you're not at the track.

I have also seen a "dual-mode" exhaust so that the car is quieter when you want to drive it normally and have a conversation.

I have also seen heated seats, bluetooth connectivity, 100,000 mile warranty etc etc etc....I could go on and on about why this car is fine for a daily driver, but I won't and for one reason..

You live in Canada and I live in Florida - A daily driver in Florida is a totally different thing to a daily driver in Canada.

Lets just leave it at that
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #64
'StangBlaster5000

Drives: Waiting for the 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post

Yea....I think it would be unwise to drive ANY 600hp car in the snow, but every other day would be a perfectly acceptable day to drive a Camaro, it's not a Ferrari, it's not even a Corvette for some old man to leave in his garage except for one Sunday a month. Some people like to buy new cars and watch them depreciate in their garage and then sell a pristine car to the second owner, I am not one of those people, if I buy it, it will be driven except on the worst days.
'StangBlaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #65
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think some of us need to stop trying to shove our opinions down others' throats...it's got 4 wheels, two doors and a steering wheel. The fact it's a performance car has no bearing on it's ABILITY to be a daily driver, let alone a person's choice to do it. I can bear witness to a guy putting a few bags of groceries into the back of his Z06, parked between a Prius and an Avalanche. Or an Audi R8 rolling down the snow-covered street in the dead of winter.

Further, the phrase "Daily Driver" varies from location to location...In the southern states, you could commute and shop in a ZR1 if you wanted to. While up north, physical characteristics of the tires prohibit it from being driven in the cold winter weather...but swap them out and viola!

It's also being designed, built, and tested to the same quality and durability levels as any other 100,000 mile waranteed Chevy - so there's nothing to support a theory that it's somehow more fragile than a Malibu...

On the other hand, this is the second most powerful production car GM has ever produced, and likely the third fastest model they've ever worked on, depending on your measure. There are some compromises some may not like to challenge through daily driving, such as daily wear on such a prestigious vehicle, not-friendly fuel economy, or the Z06-like ground clearance.

My point, after all that - is that it boils down to a choice, based on means and personal factors. So it's not fair, nor respectful to pass judgement on anyone's decision in this matter - whether they choose to daily drive it, or not. And by extension, it's not fair to make blanket statements about a person's financial abilities or responsibilities in reference to the topic at hand.

/off soap box.

We ALL love the ZL1, and what it represents. Let's not draw a line between ourselves over something so unimportant as a another person's usage of THEIR vehicle. Please?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #66
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Not meant to be a daily driver I dont think, but why not? Only hold back would be mpg, I heard 10/20 but dont know for sure, only early report
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #67
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
If you don't experience heavy winter snowfall or just a few spurratic snows in the season you should be fine. If you need to get to work even during heavy snows and slushy conditions, I'd recommend getting a winter beater. The zl1 is going to have some very wide rear tires, lots of torque, and a low ride height. All of these things are going to be hell in a few inches of snow.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #68
Vyscera

Drives: 07 K2500HD
DD

My '13 will go into regular rotation with my Harley CVO, another vehicle that people debate how much it should be used. I enjoy it all the time, year round. My "winter" ride, or in case of whatever, is my silverado, which has tires that cost about $400 each. You go into these purchases knowing you trade $$ for performance/ capability. It wont be the most fuel effiencent ride out there either, but I dont care. It will do a whole lot better than my 12 mpg truck!
Vyscera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #69
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
The use of a ZL1 of a daily driver is not necessarily a poor choice… it boils down to the preference of the owner and what the owner’s priorities are. For its performance capabilities it is easily converted into a manageable daily driver with the different MR and PTM modes.

Is it a practical daily driver? In my opinion, not really, but my life is different from the life of others. I have a baby, two giant dogs, and routinely lug things back from Lowe’s to work on my house and yard. If you were a person living in a warm climate with no need for cargo room or the like I see no reason ZL1 can’t be your only car – in fact, it might be impractical to have two cars in that case if you have limited parking, etc.

Through college a Camaro was my daily driver year round and there was no issue – could I have afforded a ZL1 at the time I could have used it as a daily driver. I also had access to pickup trucks whenever I needed them. I wouldn’t want (and couldn’t have) a Camaro as my daily driver now. My priorities and needs have shifted.

To say you can’t afford another car as a daily driver says another thing about your priorities... You aren’t willing to pay for 2 cars regardless of the cost because you’d rather spend your money on other things; you are willing to sacrifice the option of having a daily driver for your ultimate goal of the ZL1, or whatever the case may be… It is hard to say that someone driving around in a $60,000 car that gets horrible mileage ‘can’t afford’ another car – that makes it sound as if they are barely making ends meet. Another car could be a $1,000 beater. If you are really stretched that much and you really can’t afford it, ownership of a ZL1 seems like it is one of your TOP priorities and you are really doing whatever it takes to own one. That is your choice and there isn’t anything wrong with that.

As Dragoneye suggests – who cares about everyone else? Do what you think is right with your car because that is how you will get the most enjoyment from it. Worrying about how others use their possessions is a waste of time.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote