Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #141
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
i have ran all the options here 87, 89, and 91. i never noticed a huge difference between them but the 91 was nice and seemed to pull a bit harder on acceleration. but right now our gas prices are crazy high so i'm just running 87. if they go back down i may bump back up to 91. thats the joy of these cars you can run anything really. my friends with their GTI and WRX are stuck at 91 or higher and it can cost a LOT to fill their cars up.

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #142
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
The Camaro has an 18.8 gallon tank. Full fill up at $3.00 per gallon is $56.40...at $4.00 per gallon its 75.20 a difference of $18.20. I think my LS Camaro is worth an extra $20.00 once a week or so at the pump for the extra performance and for my perma-grin.
Please read this....scroll down to Effects of Octane Rating....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
extract: "It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings are used in more powerful engines, since such fuels ignite less easily. However, detonation is undesirable in a spark ignition engine,(Camaro's have SIDI, Spark Ignition Direct Injection) .....".

There you have it....Premium is better...don't settle for second best.
Shell Oil is Dutch....Headquartered in the Netherlands...I've heard the gas contains alot of sulfer, creates deposits in the engine and polutes more.
Chevron, originally a part of Standard Oil and also later merged with Texaco is Headquartered in California...they developed the additive Techron which has proven itself over and over...and is sweared too by many engine mechanics. Gas is gas but, additives make the difference...its Chevron Premium for me! Sorry for being long winded Research, research, research every product you depend on......buy American if you can....
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #143
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markal View Post
There you have it....Premium is better...don't settle for second best.
That was your conclusion after reading that Wikipedia article?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #144
Markal
White Lightnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That was your conclusion after reading that Wikipedia article?
C'mon man,
I'm 54 yrs old...I've pumped gas at a Mobil station. I know about car engines and their operation. I'm not an idiot. I don't know it all but, I do talk to people....I research the internet and other sources. Everything on the net can't be trusted and may or may not be true but, sometimes you find some answers here and there...give me a break.....

Wow...this site is getting worse and worse...lets just make fun of and belittle each other....isn't that cool!!!! NOT!
Sorry guys and gals....I'm outta here and I'll tell every Camaro owner and every parts retailer just how bad this site has become......I've had enough!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #145
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
It has been posted throughout 87 pulls timing and lowers HP some. Yes I am paraphrasing others, but I have experienced it. The car is less peppy it is not drastic just a little, but IS noticable I have changed back and forth 3 times under different weather conditions. Is it worth the money? That just depends on the person the car runs well saving money. but I just like to get what I can so I spend $4 dollars more. For each their own.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #146
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
C'mon man,
I'm 54 yrs old...I've pumped gas at a Mobil station. I know about car engines and their operation. I'm not an idiot. I don't know it all but, I do talk to people....I research the internet and other sources. Everything on the net can't be trusted and may or may not be true but, sometimes you find some answers here and there...give me a break.....
That's not what I meant...

The wiki excerpt you posted never discussed why SIDI makes it possible to use lower-octane fuel...which is why the LLT can run a higher CR than even the LS7 and still only require 87 to function properly

Since nothing's as perfect as a lab-setting, I'm sure 89 has proven to free up a couple ponies...it was just the source you used to draw your conclusion made me smile a little. NOTHING against you, I'm just playing around.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #147
Markal
White Lightnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That's not what I meant...

The wiki excerpt you posted never discussed why SIDI makes it possible to use lower-octane fuel...which is why the LLT can run a higher CR than even the LS7 and still only require 87 to function properly

Since nothing's as perfect as a lab-setting, I'm sure 89 has proven to free up a couple ponies...it was just the source you used to draw your conclusion made me smile a little. NOTHING against you, I'm just playing around.
My conclusion was based on scrmings tests long ago. Timing is timing and if the computer tells the engine to back off due to lower grade fuel....well...that really tells the story and the source is irrelevant. The wikipedia source was on octane rating and not specific to the Camaro V6 and is a good basic explanation for those without a deep understanding of engine fundamentals. Here's a source for ya...me being the source....Dragoneye is really a Dragonhole.....sorry, just playing around!

Everything I say is misunderstood....I speak my thoughts and people don't understand....they take it wrong. The way I say things seems to make me a target for those who think they know more...or those who want to belittle...I apologize. I'm sorry to those who don't see what I'm trying to say so, I'll say no more. I've had enough. I don't say the right things or write the right words...so, I'll stop. Its happened too often to be by chance...its me...sorry. Enjoy your Camaro....I'll enjoy mine. Drama....yeah...but, I'm done with C5 forum!
Goodby
Markal - Whitelightnin

Last edited by Markal; 05-16-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #148
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
My conclusion was based on scrmings tests long ago. Timing is timing and if the computer tells the engine to back off due to lower grade fuel....well...that really tells the story and the source is
irrelevant. The wikipedia source was on octane rating and not specific to the Camaro V6 and is a good basic explanation for those without a deep understanding of engine fundamentals. Here's a source for ya...me being the source....Dragoneye is really a Dragonhole.....sorry, just playing around!

Does the computer pull timing based on an octane sensor, or the knock sensors. I'm not familiar with the tests you're referring to. I know OF them...I just don't remember the details.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #149
Markal
White Lightnin

Sorry I can't reply. Oops, I just did.....I'm outta here :(
Search scrming's posts.
Sorry...I'm truly sorry.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #150
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Why anyone think they could notice 1-2% change in performance is beyond me. 87 pulls timing therefore there is power loss.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote