Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #897
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Dragoneye, "appropriate pricing" is in the eye of the buyer...AND GM...

BOSSes from $42-48K leaves a "sweet spot" for Z/28 pricing to play within...'tween 2SS and ZL1...with performance close to a ZL1, especially 'round a track, as Pete astutely notes. And that spread allows for a carefully-optioned and -featured 1SS with an LS7, a suitably upgraded "old school" "enhanced FE4" suspension, HD brakes/driveline components, and weight-saving, handling-assisting measures like forged wheels and Z (or R) -rated rubber for supreme gription (my favorite recent word...).

Like the BOSS, and complementing Wixom's "wishes" and "capacities", 5,000 units would frankly be the tip of the iceberg...with NO Titanic downside...

Sorry for the metaphors, but you get the gist...right?

NOW...do "they" get the gist?!

Get those card 'n letters (and e-mails) going! Vote with your wallets, folks!

EDIT:

Some of you may have noticed I changed my "sig"... Feel free to "copy and paste" it to your notes, but you might just delete the "broken record"...or NOT as the case may be. There will be NO copyright infringement, and NO royalites to pay!
I would like to see what you think "each" of those add-ons would add $ to the cost of a 1SS. Thanks.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #898
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I don't see that, care to elaborate? Thanks.
Conversations with people led me to more closely look at the changes they made to the vehicle, and estimate the costs incurred. These "people" also have a very calibrated guestimator on their shoulders...

When a company in the business of making money wants to introduce a new product to a specific, limited audience - one of the few ways to justify it in a business case is the increased profit over an existing product.

As I see the options...the Boss doesn't do that. Or else if it does - it's marginal at best. Meaning (to me), that Ford values the marketing effect of the Boss enough to justify the development costs. I heard that the Boss will only be produced for 2 MYs, as well...if this is true...then it would seem to support my guesses.

That's why I asked about Z28 price. GM would probably be inclined to charge more to justify it, because they already have the Camaro AND Corvette for their 'mystique'.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #899
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Conversations with people led me to more closely look at the changes they made to the vehicle, and estimate the costs incurred. These "people" also have a very calibrated guestimator on their shoulders...

When a company in the business of making money wants to introduce a new product to a specific, limited audience - one of the few ways to justify it in a business case is the increased profit over an existing product.

As I see the options...the Boss doesn't do that. Or else if it does - it's marginal at best. Meaning (to me), that Ford values the marketing effect of the Boss enough to justify the development costs. I heard that the Boss will only be produced for 2 MYs, as well...if this is true...then it would seem to support my guesses.

That's why I asked about Z28 price. GM would probably be inclined to charge more to justify it, because they already have the Camaro AND Corvette for their 'mystique'.
Gotcha
Yes marketing a product is expensive, so if a product can market itself or better yet market an entire brand it can make sense to create even if said product causes a loss.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #900
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Gotcha
Yes marketing a product is expensive, so if a product can market itself or better yet market an entire brand it can make sense to create even if said product causes a loss.
Basically.

Ah, but let's get back to the car that matters here.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #901
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
I would like to see what you think "each" of those add-ons would add $ to the cost of a 1SS. Thanks.
I think what's more important, overall, is the price-profit situation...

First of all, when ALL development co$t$ are quantified, I agree with Dragoneye the car MUST be profitable...PERIOD. Why?

1) IF (italic'd) the Zee only sells to Camaro/GM folks (i.e. no conquest sales), each unit will potentially be at the expense of at least an SS and perhaps also the occasional ZL1. And no one disputes GM makes/will make money on those. Right?

2) Conquest sales (and you can bet your bippy there'll be plenty of those) need to be at a profit, as well. These folks may be "fresh" to GM, or haven't graced our showrooms for a lengthy time period. And, to keep 'em, administration (sales AND warranty AND service AND follow-up) of the total experience MUST be top notch...or we may be "one hit wonders". Remember, few of these folks will use the ZEE as a daily driver, or be single-car situations. We want that other business, too!

3) The very nature of this car (and I speak from 1969 experience) will demand higher warranty costs...that GM will be obliged to honor...see 2) above.

4) GM, as sadly many want to constantly shout, is in the biz of makin' money, at the end of the day. "Hot" vehicles, in high demand, with somewhat-limited supply (no matter what the projections may be) simply DO NOT NEED TO BE GIVEN AWAY. How can I say that with a possible price tag in the mid-$40s? If it COSTS $45 to SELL FOR $45, really, why bother??

5) Of ALL the Camaro models possible, THIS ONE MUST BE MONEY IN THE BANK!!

...and it WILL BE!

Reminds me of Macy's on "Black Thursday"...open the doors and STAND BACK...you don't wanna get TRAMPLED by the rushing herd!

6) Marketing costs, in this social media-sensitive time, will be LESS than other Camaro models. In fact, I suspect (as Dragoneye has found out himself, personally) there are ZL1 and mod-intenders who would reconsider their "previous committed plans"...and a slew of folks who would trade their Gen-5 Camaros...and 'Stangs, and others...for a chance at this iconic, short-term-in-current-circumstance Z/28...

This isn't a complete Business Case...but it closely follows (minus "real" numbers) what the process will include, along with other critical criteria that would bog us down, here.

Time for one of Lutz's "favored" power-point presentations...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #902
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
So...purely speculatively-speaking...can I answer with another question?
Will the Z28 be priced appropriately?

Joe, I hoping between $45 and $50K depending on options. GM shouldn't have any problem building and making a profit with those numbers.

They have the car (1SS) and the parts should come off the shelf and from Pedders.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #903
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Joe, I hoping between $45 and $50K depending on options. GM shouldn't have any problem building and making a profit with those numbers.

They have the car (1SS) and the parts should come off the shelf and from Pedders.
PEDDERS?! How'd THEY sneak in here?! Oh yeah...the original premise from oh sooo l o n g ago...

New equation:

1SS (with a few bits from an LS) + wet LS7 + CTS-V stuff + (ZL1?) Forged/R-rated (as opposed to X-rated?) rolling stock + Pedders-enhanced FE4 = a promotion for the guys/gals with the guts/backing/confidence/numbers to see it built...

Gee, no wonder I did so poorly in math equations...

As to $45-or-so, there is NO reason to sell it for LESS (competitively speaking), and there is NO reason GM will NOT sell all they can make. Period.

Nice double negative, no?!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #904
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:

It's definitely NOT slipped their minds.....just be careful to avoid "well-placed emails" becoming "badgering messages"...
This, folks, is SOUND ADVICE.

IF you correspond with "anyone" at the "RenCen", be polite and professional, with a pinch of humility...and a HUGE DOSE of "I'm ready to BUY an LS7'd Z/28!" enthusiasm.

Play nice...
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #905
Mr. Wyndham

You guys all get it.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #906
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Well no Z28 for me. I bought this instead. Maybe by the time it comes out I will have $ fund built back up.
Name:  100MEDIA$IMAG0004.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  586.7 KB
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #907
Fightinfire921

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Well no Z28 for me. I bought this instead. Maybe by the time it comes out I will have $ fund built back up.

That looks like a $$$ making machine.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #908
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
[/B]

That looks like a $$$ making machine.
Yes they can be if done right.. My side job so to speak. My last one paid for it's self several times over, but was getting up there in hours. So since there is no Z28 I went for the upgrade.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #909
Fightinfire921

A guy called my '69 Kubota orange one time.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #910
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

That funny.. I used some hugger orange on my old one after welding on some bucket hooks (had some on hand). It was just a few shades off, but suprised how close it realy was. O.K. back to the Z28....

Last edited by GrnMchin; 08-26-2011 at 11:38 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro