Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
orion2011
R. L.

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
LED Scanner in Grille

Hello I have the V2 AAC 22" Scanner coming in tomorrow and I want to place it in my grille rather than the mailslot. My car is an SS/RS so I was wondering where others placed the strip in order for it to light up the front, as it is just one strip. Also, i have not been able to find a DIY for the scanner-in-grille so I was wondering how the wires/ control box were mounted/connected. Thank ya very much if you can help me out.
orion2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Let me get some photos together and Ill show you where I put mine... AAC has a great video showing the scanner shining off the radiator, and thats how I installed mine. It looks great!
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
AUS10BMX

To install it with ease, you have to remove the radiator cover thats under the hood, you can then reach down behind the bumper to install it. There is a "bumper bar" that is facing the radiator, and mount it on to the face of the bumper bar. I used velcro strips to mount it. Then run your wires over to the fuse box on the passenger side. Ground it, and get 12V power from the main terminal you see in the picture. I mounted the control box onto the side of the fuse box.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
orion2011
R. L.

Hmm AAC states that they have double sided tape but the velcro shall be better? Are the tools to remove the radiator and the velcro all I shall need?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
AUS10BMX

The ones i got had not tape on the back, so velcro was my only option. But yeah just the tools to remove the cover and you should be set. Trying to feed the wire to the box is a little tough, but a slot in between two plastic pieces beside the radiator.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
BudMC77

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Anyway that you can try to stick your hands back in the grille and peek down thru the hood latch..might save sum hassle of removing the radiator..just a thought
BudMC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I want to do the same to mine, I like it better there.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
i just got mine too, does anyone have a install guide for the mailslot

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
i just got mine too, does anyone have a install guide for the mailslot
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95004

Search is your friend.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
orion2011
R. L.

Also, does anyone know if it is legal to have the lights on while driving? I bought the white strip, not blue or red. I have been keeping it in the static mode while on the road. Anyone know if its legal, and better yet, the legality in Texas?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Don't know about TX, but here in VA as long as it's solid white light, not flashing, I've been good. Gotten pulled over, but cop just wanted to look at the car and ask about the lights... (my grille light is white, but looks blue from bouncing off the radiator, so he questioned that until I showed him they were white). He called over the radio right then to inform the others that my car has all white in the front and not to bother me.

Last edited by FL1CK; 06-23-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2011 View Post
Also, does anyone know if it is legal to have the lights on while driving? I bought the white strip, not blue or red. I have been keeping it in the static mode while on the road. Anyone know if its legal, and better yet, the legality in Texas?
The State of Texas prohibits a vehicle from being equipped with a Red light (solid and to the center of the front of the vehicle unless it is an AEV) The transportation further regulates Red, White, or Blue Lights (FLASHING OR ALTERNATING) by explaining that they are also illegal. See Texas Transportation Code Restriction of Use of Lights.

What this means is that you can not have Red displayed to the front (whether steady burn or flashing/alternating) and that you can not have Blue or White lights to the front if they are flashing or alternating.

Blue (or white in your case) to the front as a steady burn is ok as long as it is an auxillary lamp, etc. (which in your case it is). The headlights of the vehicle may not be any other color than "white". What is exactly white is yet to be determined by the courts seeing as how many lamps appear blue in color. Halogen lights are more closely yellow than they are white if you ask me. But any how... this is the CORRECT answer to your question.

What makes a vehicle an "Authorized Emergency Vehicle" (with approved lighting) by definition of the chapter is on based on the fact of whether or not there is a red light projected to the front of the vehicle. See Texas Transportation Code "Authorized Emergency Vehicle" and you will see that all that is required for lighting of these types of vehicles is 4 red flashing lights that are mounted as high as practical and spaced as widely apart as practical.

Long story short, white as a constant (steady burn) is a-ok.
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote