Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
So much for the Bugatti....

Good ol' American Muscle takes down the speed king....

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...n-ar40666.html

Okay, so it was tuned American Muscle, but still....tuned by an American company, so it still counts in my book.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
that's awesome, the viper can be made into a true beast. But no way it tops it in the other important aspects such as handling and aerodynamic stability at that speed. .... i love american muscle though!!!

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Viper Hennessey (V10 bi-turbo, 8500 cm3): 20.1 s and 358.1 km/h
Bugatti Veyron (W16 quadri-turbo, 8000 cm3): 24.2 s and 380 km/h

They are claiming the Viper is the faster of the two. In the short run, that's what the #'s show. But, in the long run (top speed), it shows the Bugatti blowing the doors off of the Viper (although it does get pretty darn fast). Still, this shows the Viper just can't keep up.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
This article was just supposed to be about getting to 320km/h, but now that you mention it, I see the speed issue....very misleading article.

The big thing here is the Bugatti is $1.2M and the Viper with all the Hennessey tunning is between $150 and $200K if I remember correctly. You can get 6 Vipers for the price of the Bugatti.

The thing that kills me in those numbers listed....look how far behind the Lamborghini is....that is unreal....that Lambo is one helluva car and is still that far behind (and apparently never did hit the 320km/h).
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh, don't get me wrong...that is very impressive that the Viper was almost keeping up and hitting those speeds. I am very pleased to see that out of an American made car....kudos to Dodge/Hennessey. The article was kind of misleading to me which is why I pointed that out. The Dodge isn't faster in top end.

Yes, you could get a whole buch of Dodge's for one Bugatti. The price is kinda steep, but that's what you get for the fastest production car in the world.

As for the Murcielago, that is kind of dissapointing. The Murcielago is supposed to be Lambo's flagship big daddy supercar. Apparently, all cars involved hit 320k/hr except for the Lambo.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm proud that the Corvette stayed with them. It's within 2 seconds of the Veyron. and the next car behind it is almost 10 seconds behind.

both Corvette and Viper ...oh, and Veyron.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
well the top speed of 253 MPH like i said with aerodynamics. at some point most of those cars will become airborne.

for pulling power/toqrue it was great to see American muscle prevail. the top speed is virtually worthless anyway in the bugatti.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

yeah, where the hell can you go besides that track and get up to 253 mph?? you hit a stone at those speeds and you will become airborn. "The first Flying car"...or more like "falling.....with style."

It's a bird, it's a plane....It's A VEYRON!!!

"a what?"

"Uh...I don't know, it was in the script."

"Oh"

"Okay"

Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Hey, I was just reading some stuff, and I came across the dimensions of the Bugatti Veyron...Do you realize that the Camaro is bigger?!?!:eek:

Veyron: Camaro concept(since it won't change by much)

Width: 79 inches 79.6 Inches

Length: 176 in 186.2in

Height: 48 in 53 in

I thought that was an interesting tidbit.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I LOL when I see/read anythign talking about how the Viper is anything close to any other car in it's class.

Ok, so the Viper hit top speed faster. Wanna take a bet how many times each of those cars could do it again?

My money says the Viper may hit it one more time before it implodes, or the driver loses control of the giant brick at those speeds. The exotics can do stuf flike that all day, relatively.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #11
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I LOL when I see/read anythign talking about how the Viper is anything close to any other car in it's class.

Ok, so the Viper hit top speed faster. Wanna take a bet how many times each of those cars could do it again?

My money says the Viper may hit it one more time before it implodes, or the driver loses control of the giant brick at those speeds. The exotics can do stuf flike that all day, relatively.
Yeah I hear what you are saying. The Veyron is still built within strict engineering factors of safety and reliability. A tuned car (for the most part) seeks to stretch those engineering specifications and assume more risk.

Also like others said. The Veyron still has the Viper on the top end. At those speeds it becomes much more of a factor of aerodynamics than horsepower alone. Air resistance increases exponentially as speed increases.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I wonder what fuel consumption is like at top speed for the other cars. At top speed the Veyron runs out of fuel in 12 minutes.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

That would be interesting to know...I'd bet much less then the Veyron, though...that beast has 4 turbos, and 12 cyllinders*...Compared to the Ligenfelter's 8 cyllinders, and 2 Turbos...

EDIT: *16 Cyllinders, whoops

Last edited by Mr. Wyndham; 08-25-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
first off, i posted this in another thread about 2 weeks ago... where's the love

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
They are claiming the Viper is the faster of the two. In the short run, that's what the #'s show. But, in the long run (top speed), it shows the Bugatti blowing the doors off of the Viper (although it does get pretty darn fast). Still, this shows the Viper just can't keep up.
they know the veyron has that 250+mph top speed, thats why this was a 200mph shootout. fastest to 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
The thing that kills me in those numbers listed....look how far behind the Lamborghini is....that is unreal....that Lambo is one helluva car and is still that far behind (and apparently never did hit the 320km/h).
it had oversize wheels that do more for looks than performance by raising the car up slightly higher than normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong...that is very impressive that the Viper was almost keeping up and hitting those speeds. I am very pleased to see that out of an American made car....kudos to Dodge/Hennessey. The article was kind of misleading to me which is why I pointed that out. The Dodge isn't faster in top end.

Yes, you could get a whole buch of Dodge's for one Bugatti. The price is kinda steep, but that's what you get for the fastest production car in the worlld.

As for the Murcielago, that is kind of dissapointing. The Murcielago is supposed to be Lambo's flagship big daddy supercar. Apparently, all cars involved hit 320k/hr except for the Lambo.
no, the mercedes didnt actually make the 200mph mark. it might have made the 320k/hr mark, but not the 200mph. (which was the main point of the road test)
look here for more accurate results and more info. about the cars.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm proud that the Corvette stayed with them. It's within 2 seconds of the Veyron. and the next car behind it is almost 10 seconds behind.

both Corvette and Viper ...oh, and Veyron.
vette, veyron, viper... coincidence? i think not
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote