Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
GoPro Hero Motorsports

Anyone have any experience with these (or any other GoPro camera)? I just ordered one and cannot wait to get it!

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Plenty of experience, still learning how to edit video, though

Unless you put the camera really close to the exhaust, or have a really loud car, you will get an abundance of wind noise if you mount the camera outside the vehicle. This is a problem with pretty much every HD camera, though. However, if you mount it inside, you lose some visibility, and it picks up every noise that you, the driver, make while the camera's rolling (or every song playing on your radio).

The biggest obstacle is figuring out what video software to use for video editing. I use MPEG Streamclip to clip out sections of the raw mp4 video and convert them to avi files so that I can "edit" with Microsoft Movie Maker. I'll let you know how things go when I start editing some of what I recently recorded with Movie Maker. If it turns out well, I'll probably keep using that. If not, I may look into something else...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Here is a video taken with the GoPro motorsports HD. you can judge the quality for yourself. (it's really dark because it was kind of cloudy outside)

lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
BigDan

Drives: bug
They are great if you dont have any sort of camera or iphone.

I just bought a mount for my digital point and shoot camera that I already have that shoots HD video and has a bunch of functions like wind cut and has a LCD screen that the Go Pro does not have even though mine is a few years old.

If I was a surfer or mountain biker I'd get it due to its durability and water proof-ness but its just not needed for me to shoot automotive footage and would only make thing harder since it doesn't have a LCD screen to confirm the shot.

I just picked up the CruiseCam headrest mount for $40 and a suction cup mount.

http://www.cruisecam.com/products.html

Heck you can get the same results with a iphone and mount for shooting automotive videos.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
I use a gopro to video snowboarding and it's great. Not the best quality, but for the price and mobility it can't be beat.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I also just got one, I think it is awesome. I mounted it on the back of my rear bumper, on the outside, by the exhaust. I was thinking there is no freaking way this suction cup thingy is going to stay on my car when I'm ripping on it with 800hp but my goodness it did. It also didn't move as much as you might think, it was way smoother than what I expected. I really don't see how any other camera/phone can do what this thing does. It's so small, comes with a couple different cases/mounts, I mean this is basically what this camcorder was made for. You see alot of automotive sports teams and tune shops using these on their cars. A lcd screen is also available it is just sold seperately for $70 or so. I also got the lcd screen, and it comes with 4 different cases also so the lcd screen can be on camera wherever you have it mounted. It's pretty awesome imo.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Check these out. They just launched a couple weeks ago and go to get 1 mounted on my car at an event. Same price as the gopro, but simpler and easier to use imo.

http://replayxd.com/product/replay-x...camera-system/

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
I use one for dirtbike riding and thinks its a great product, Great quality video and pretty decent sound, I use it for many more things as well, any adventures I take it with me. It fell off my helmet once during a wreck and i didnt realize it was gone, i found it on the side of the trail a week even after it rained with the non waterproof cover on. It still works awesome. Great Product.
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Christiancoach

Drives: 2008 Holden Commodore SSV
Our race team has a couple of GoPro's. They are great! If you use the right case you shouldn't get excessive wind noise. I run mine on the back of my car and there is no wind noise at all.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
mine finally got here! too bad it is raining out !@#$

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Paul Huizenga

Drives: 1991 Syclone, 2000 Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Paul Huizenga Send a message via Skype™ to Paul Huizenga
We have a bunch of them for work, and while they are the standard for on-car video, that's only because they've been around for so long. The user interface sucks, putting a display on them costs extra, the sound quality even under perfect circumstances is marginal, and it's unbelievably easy to scratch the lens of the actual camera when it's not inside the case (pretty much all of ours are chewed up, just from normal handling).

I'm in the process of looking for something better, and just got a Kodak Playsport Zx5, which shoots 1080p or 720p 60fps, is waterproof to 3m, has a screen, and most importantly has a 1/4-20 thread tripod mount. You can get an infrared remote for it as well, and right now the street price is $115 at Amazon. You'll need to add a suction cup mount, but the Panavise 809 (about $22) is inexpensive, way more versatile, and better quality than the mounts that come with the Go Pro.

The Kodak will also shoot 5mp stills, and is useful as a general purpose video camera in situations where the Go Pro would be goofy/awkward.
Paul Huizenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Do they make mounts for cell phones? I'm having trouble finding one for my EVO.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
Camaro45thAE

Drives: '91 GMC Syclone & '12 Camaro 45TH
Heres my youtube channel with a few various mount points on the GoPro. Headlight, top of the windshield, fender, tailgate, and hanging out the sunroof of a Hummer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SYO237?feature=mhee

I dont have them posted, but I also have a bunch of underwater stuff as well. I will say the interface is something to be desired (I keep the manual close by when I am using it so I can remember all the settings) but for the money, you cant beat it.
GMC Syclone #237
2012 Camaro 2LT Anniversary Edition
Order No. PTXV9B
8.31.2011 - Born! TPW 8/29
HowTune- DIY Automotive Network
Camaro45thAE is offline   Reply With Quote