Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: If AWD was offered and was in your price range, would you want this option?
Yes, I'd love AWD (for racing, winter, better handling, etc.) 112 28.07%
No (I like kicking out the rear end, adds weight, not necessary, etc.) 175 43.86%
Only if I could turn the AWD option off if I wished to do so. 95 23.81%
Still not sure. Have to think about it. 17 4.26%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
AWD Camaro?

So, in the development of the ZETA chassis, GM has undoubtedly included plans to make an AWD variant. I say this because the ZETA chassis is designed to compete with the Chrysler 300C (and its variants) and THEY include an AWD version. You can get a charger, magnum, 300C with an AWD option...

SO, I firmly believe this is in the cards for ZETA as well, which begs the question, could it be carried over to the Camaro?

I'm certain we'll see it on the G8 at some point (they'd be silly not to), and I wonder if they'd be daring and bring it to the Camaro as well.

It'd certainly give those WRX's and EVO's something to think about!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
I defently don't think so that would not make it a Camaro. That is something completly against the whole american mucle, burning rubber , all american V8 rumbling under the hood. Well it might carry the Camaro name but it would not be in its heritage to be a camaro.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
It might work if they come up with a softer, more luxury trim version of the Camaro, similiar to the Berlinetta from the '70s and '80s. Something that might appeal more to the not so performance minded folks who still want a V8.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Zyreal
Long Arm

Drives: Dodge Neon
AWD in a Camaro would be the best way of putting the most HP on the road, and I personally don't think it would tarnish the Camaro rep. I've seen all to many camaros (and mustangs, firebirds) get destroyed in the quarter-mile by a WRX or EVO. Those things tend to just hop off the line with incredible speed...
Zyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
LSxcellent

This was my point exactly... if you have 400hp, wouldn't it be nice to put ALL of it to the road? Plus, in foul weather, you won't need to worry as much about fishtailing all over the place...

Even if you had a 550hp Z28, wouldn't it be nice to be able to run with Audi RS6's? Destroying an EVO or STi would be easy at that point! You'd want to set your sights higher!

~LSx
Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I think that AWD would be great as long as it can be turned off for some sick burnouts. Maybe it will be able to do a 4 wheel burnout?
Besides that, i think it would be a good idea as an option, it might add a few $K's to the price tag but IMO it will probly be worth it if you will be racing.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
I think this would be a great option, since i live in the northwest and i plan on driving mine as a daily driver!, Id love to have it for the bad weather...even if i couldn't switch it off...the added trackion in the rain & snow would be awesome!!! and the added pwer to all wheel would be great durning the dry weather.
NOODLESgoneWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I think an AWD Camaro would be kinda cool for race day. With all that power hitting the ground, you need all the traction you can get. For everyday driving, I don't see the AWD option making too much of a difference....unless your everyday driving has a "different" definition. I could easily see it helping in foul weather as well.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
The possibility of an AWD Camaro was discussed at the Phila. show in April. I wouldn't rule it out. Never say never.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
the 6L80 or whatever it's called, can't remember exactly. Is specifically designed to be flexible for different applications. The MM6 was redesigned slightly to match the 6L80's bolt pattern too, so i wouldn't rule out all-wheel drive either..but i probably wouldn't get it. Save the money for a higher package.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
Zyreal
Long Arm

Drives: Dodge Neon
I would get the AWD even if I couldn't turn it off. I can't think of a "downside" to AWD nowadays. (And not being able to burnout is an "upside" for me, it's a waste of rubber and I've never thought it looked cool)

- Z
Zyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
LSxcellent

My thoughts about AWD come from the fact that here in New England, we have more days of rainy, sleety, snowy weather than not.

I'm not suggesting that a Camaro is a good car for the winter, but there are plenty of rainy days where AWD comes in VERY handy just merging onto the highway!

Also, anyone that has driven the Silverado SS, Trailblazer SS, or Yukon Denali knows how fast AWD can make any vehicle! It just makes driving safer when you know the car will MOVE when you hammer down on the gas...

Yes there is more parasitic loss...
Yes there is more weight...

For everday driving, who cares? 450hp can handle it!

LSx
Old 04-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
AWD Camaro?

Again, I think it would really help plant all that power to the ground. 335hp is already tricky when you are really stomping on it and you haven't even had the chance to warm up the tires!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #14
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I am with LSx on this one. Indianapolis isn't necessarily in the tropics. We get our fair share of really crappy weather and AWD would be really nice for that reason alone. Plus with 400+ hp, I would like to think that they could pull it off and still have a very fast car.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote