Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Noise is slightly better, not much, but it works for me... My aero motive big boy only lasted six or seven hours of total run time, with the FPC. No problems with the Weldon.. Note...me hop carefully for the one rated for continuous use... With the design we use, of the sump dumping back to tank, I've had no overheating issues... Drove it seven hours one way and back...
this is making me wonder whats causing my fuel to overheat, whats the weather like over there? Also im noticing more and more people put the regulator before the rails which isn't a BAD idea but not the best either. The fuel passing over the hot engine is where it should pickup its heat from. I don't have a sump however my fuel obviously recirculates back to the tank and to the pump and so on.

OCD kicked in yo!

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Innovations View Post
There are a few people running around with multiple Walbro's 400+lph in-tanks now (I think you can fit three in the stock Camaro hat, which is a retarded amount of fuel) and they're not a bad way to go.

If you wanted to stay single, Fuelab's got a new setup (190gph, 1800hp crank) that I'm running in our 415ci YSi LSA (e85). The pumps have a speed controller built in, and the regulator has a pressure transducer built into the return side - start bypassing a ton of fuel, slows the pump down (without sounding like Morse code haha), and when you stomp it the return side closes and steps up the pump duty. Very simple, very smooth, and idiot-proof - if there's a problem, it defaults to full speed. I'm running a Bosch 044 to feed a surge tank, but Fuelab has all the mounts and a 'sock'-type filter to run it in-tank if you want for a truly 'stock'-like install.

Food for thought. The Weldon's will be noisier than the Eliminator (especially if your Eliminator is in-tank right now), but are very reliable.
holy crap that sounds really advance compared to my primitive speed controller So youre saying it will continuously automatically adjust duty cycle based on fuel pressure detected at the regulator? meaning it will always run at minimum duty cycle regardless of RPM and only up the DC when you actually need it?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
LPE TWIN PUMP
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
LPE TWIN PUMP

Simple solution for a simple problem. The install is much easier than plumbing a return system, and you can only hear them when they prim the rail prior to start.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
ayousef

Quote:
Noise is slightly better, not much, but it works for me... My aero motive big boy only lasted six or seven hours of total run time, with the FPC. No problems with the Weldon.. Note...me hop carefully for the one rated for continuous use... With the design we use, of the sump dumping back to tank, I've had no overheating issues... Drove it seven hours one way and back...
anyidea what caused the aeromotive pump to die? It seems the aeromotive stuff is a hit or miss some swear by it and the others well don't like it much. Im wondering how much would installation (both mechanical and electrical) would have to do with this?

Old 09-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #20
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
anyidea what caused the aeromotive pump to die? It seems the aeromotive stuff is a hit or miss some swear by it and the others well don't like it much. Im wondering how much would installation (both mechanical and electrical) would have to do with this?
Never did get a hard answer from Aeromotive, and our wiring guy sent a hand drawn diagram of how it was wired... Which is way over my head... They said it was correct... But no answer... Just rebuilt it and sent it back... 1k desk ornament now...

I have heard the range of reasons, from no FPC to an improperly wired controller to mech failures within the pump... Mine was at idle, walked in a business for about thirty seconds, came back out and it was done...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
LPE TWIN PUMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post

Simple solution for a simple problem. The install is much easier than plumbing a return system, and you can only hear them when they prim the rail prior to start.
I run the LPE twins to feed the Weldon... Via a 2-3 gallon sump... LPEs run wide open with no resistance, keeping the sump full... Excess runs back into the tank... The Weldon runs to the FPR and then the fuel rails... The FPR has boost sense... The LPEs can't hang by themselves... At least not on a 429 with 25-30 lbs of boost and 127 lb/hr injectors...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #22
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Quote:
A 429 with 25-30 lbs of boost and 127 lb/hr injectors...
There's your problem.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #23
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
There's your problem.

Lol... Whut....

Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #24
ayousef

Quote:
I run the LPE twins to feed the Weldon... Via a 2-3 gallon sump... LPEs run wide open with no resistance, keeping the sump full... Excess runs back into the tank... The Weldon runs to the FPR and then the fuel rails... The FPR has boost sense... The LPEs can't hang by themselves... At least not on a 429 with 25-30 lbs of boost and 127 lb/hr injectors...
based on their website, their twin in tank system will be on the ragged edge with my setup especially since my BSFC is on the bad side due to having a blower and because my car decided to make two additional pounds of boost here in Dubai, so its now at 20psi.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
this doesn't sound right are you running a return? or do you have the regulator BEFORE the rails? Also im expecting the regulator is boost referenced and if so what is your base fuel pressure?
Yes, return system with boost referenced regulator AFTER the rails.
62psi base pressure. New bigger hard lines.

This might be just this pump as well. We used to run Aeromotive in tank pumps in our 6 Cobra Jet drag cars and had problems with them all the time.

Weldon pumps have been trouble free so far and they are cheaper..

I will call to Steve Matusek this week to talk about my in tank Aeromotive pump. I will give him a chance to fix this issue.

Easiest way would be to install fuel cell in the trunk and run mechanical cable driven pump. I like them, because they are quiet in street driving.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost6924 View Post

This might be just this pump as well. We used to run Aeromotive in tank pumps in our 6 Cobra Jet drag cars and had problems with them all the time.

I will call to Steve Matusek this week to talk about my in tank Aeromotive pump. I will give him a chance to fix this issue.

Easiest way would be to install fuel cell in the trunk and run mechanical cable driven pump. I like them, because they are quiet in street driving.
that base fuel pressure is way too high taking into consideration youre making 18psi of boost, so your fuel pressure would end up at 80psi (assuming your regulator can pressurize that much) remember pump flow always goes down as pressure rises, theres only too much a pump can do.

Now turn down your base fuel pressure to 55psi and the drop might go away completely... just an idea

Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost6924 View Post

I'm going to check, you guys have me wondering, if my regulator is before or after the rails...

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I'm going to check, you guys have me wondering, if my regulator is before or after the rails...
Should be after the rails.