Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
Screw the sensors. My plan is to install a wireless rear-view camera. Why have beeps when you can literally see what's behind you?
Where are you going to display what the camera sees?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #16
BlackRaptor

Drives: 08 GMC Sierra, 07 G6 GT
I was thinking for mine even know they look kind of stupid getting two of those mini dome stick on mirrors to put on the side view mirrors I have those on the pikcup and they do an amazing job of filling on those blind spots.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
i adjusted my mirrors in my fourth, and it was crazy the first time i check it with a truck beside me. it was a ford F150, and i could see the front in the window and the back in the mirror, BRILLIANT.

side monitoring systems would have been sweet. like the CX9, i love that, but it isnt needed in that car, but in the camaro i would help alot moreee
Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
dyonick

Drives: 2010 CAMARO VIN # 7883
I would have to say that I have gotten used to the cars setup, i.e. c-pillar and small rear view.

But to address the question by the OP:

Lane Changing -
You must rely on your mirrors for checking your rear quater-panel view. Shoulder checking really isn't going to get the job done unless someone is sitting right next to you in a lane.

Parallel Parking -
My Envoy was very similar as far as the visibility out the rear was concerned. This was especially true when trying to parallel park. A nice feature that I had was parking assistance. When in reverse the passanger mirror on the Envoy would lower automatically to give you a better visual of the ground. This really overcame a lot of the difficulty in trying to park especially since looking out the rear you couldn't see the curb let alone the car behind you. Again, you had to rely on your mirrors.

I wish this feature was on the Camaro. However, having to parallel park a lot in the Chicago area; I have begun to manually provide the same feature as on my Envoy. It acutally works out quite nicely. You can easily see the curb and get a nice visual on the vehicle behind you as well.

2SS/RS Black/Grey
6 manual
VIN # 7883
dyonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
1. Install a rear-view camera, mounted on my existing license plate bracket.
1. Though the camera isn't a necessity, I must say I've been spoiled by my G35 in this way. It's so helpful (read that as it helps, but I don't rely on it) that I want to continue to be able to use this functionality in my Camaro. The plan is to install a wireless camera on my license bracket and mount the monitor in the sun visor. In order to do this, I plan on buying a replacement sun visor and modifying it such that one of the monitors that doubles as a mirror can replace the stock mirror.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
i immediately installed convex spots... i'm gonna move them a bit but i can see stuff (cars) in them that are in the blind spots... also can see the lines on the ground for parking.
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #21
Arioch

Drives: 2010 Camaro Victory Red 2SSRS
Here is another option, but I dont know how much it will help with the Camaro.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...d=102592854&c=
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
yeah really...

Also I have a backup camera right now on the nav of my 09 lancer and although it does have the cool value I almost think the beeps are better. Looking through the distorted view of a backup camera is a little difficult at times.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #23
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
i immediately installed convex spots... i'm gonna move them a bit but i can see stuff (cars) in them that are in the blind spots... also can see the lines on the ground for parking.
I was trying to figure out where to put the convex spot mirror on the Camaro mirror but there certainly isn't enough real estate to put it there without blocking something.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #24
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
I am use to ithe views now and use my mirrors more when driving my maro. find myself useing the mirrors more in my other cars as well.....along with trying to push in the cluch in my Yukon .....its not there
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
grunt

Drives: 2012 2LT RS ORANGE
"While speaking of visibility, initially it was an issue. But after a few months and 5000 miles. I don't even notice it. The ' turret' effect some speak of goes away quickly. I have no problem seeing merging traffic or the road ahead. If I was 'King for a day", I would include a rear view camera, (I got spoiled on vehicles with them). But there is a large blind spot directly behind car, so be sure and look before backing up over the family cat or a kid's bike! "

From my review earlier...Once you are in it the views you will get far outweigh any minor visibility issues. And really its all a matter of getting to used to it. Actually believe it or not the rear vis is better than in a Solstice with top down.

Semper FI!!
grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #26
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1208561918777

Can be mounted to your window or elsewhere. Not bad for the price.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #27
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Like so many have said...it's jus tnot built to have a wide view out back. But I've said it more than a few times, it's not near as bad as most let on!

Adjust the side mirrors and keep tabs on what in the rear view...not a problem.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Pfftt... just adjust your mirrors the right way and you won't have a problem.

If you can see the side of your car you're doing it wrong
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote