Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Difference between remote and dyno tune???

You hear all the time that a Dyno tune is the only way to go to get your camaro tuned properly with high preformance mods.

My question is this, and its a legit question, not trying be a smart a$$ in any way, just looking for unbiased information here.

What does a dyno tune offer you that you can not get with dattalogging and a good remote tuner. When I did my remote tuning with JRE and did all the dattalogging sessions, I have a hard time believing that you could get more information from a dyno tune then you can get dattalogging. I may be wrong, if so, I want to be educated.

Also, There has to be some difference in running a car on a dyno compared to actually running a car through a datalogging session where the car is actually accelerating under its own power and not sitting still.

When a car is dyno tuned, do they not sit there with a lap top and adjust the cars ECU just like a remote tuner would do?

Now I can certainly see where the dyno tune would be faster. I put nearly 10 datalogging sessions on my camaro while Ted was tweaking things but with every pull I could feel the car get better and better each time, stronger and smoother.

So, please educate me, what does a dyno tune offer that a highly skilled remote tuner can't do with good datalogs?

I still believe that having my car datalogged in the exact location it will be used at would be better then having it dyno tuned hundreds of miles away in a completely different enviornent????

OK, let me have it.

One other thing, I have never seen any videos of engines coming apart while datalogging, sure it has happened but never seen it. I have seen many videos of engines letting loose on dynos........

I am not saying one is any better then the other, I believe its all in the hands of the tuner pure and simple but just wondering why a dyno tune is concidered the end all of engine tuning over datalogging and remote tuning......

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
My opinion a dyno tune with the right dyno, and the right tuner is the way to go. A Mustang dyno can overload a cars wheels with extra force, whereas datalogging on the street you are limited to the actual enertia of the car, which is also fine. If you log a car on the street (flat road) and then same log (climbing a hill) there will be a difference in load, much like a dyno can simulate the extra load...then it comes down to the tuner and their ability to tune with the data. My .02 and the tuners can possibly elaborate a little more

2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I'm interested in this as well.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
If both tuners are equally skilled then the difference is nil....just the time and aggravation of having to log and send files. Most of the better tuners don't dyno tune exclusively anyways....whomever has planted that in your head simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

A great tuner is going to drive the car a lot...datalog a lot and tune from there....dyno might be used to go full throttle harder and longer than street driving would allow.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Uhm so then why do all the best tuners invest tens of thousands of dollars in a dyno? A tune with a dyno is certainly preferable to a 100% remote data logged tune. Not to say that there's no value in the other. They can be very specific and tune in predictable repeatable conditions. Otherwise why even use a dyno? I'm not an expert but come on....

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I agree I like local tuning...but man, teds tune is on. Ted did mine since I bought the kit from him. Data logging etc. yup all of it. Afr numbers look great on a wb. Maybe there could be some polishing in person...but you have to find someone that good. For me...teds tune worked fine. It's been on for 3500 miles.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Fiftydriver

I can see an advantage to take the car to WOT to some degree, especially with the higher output cars for a safety aspect but to say it was aggrevating to do datalogging was not what I felt, It was fun as hell for me anyway.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
atomicfusion

Drives: 07 Z06 11 L99 SS 16 c7 16 1SS
The dyno takes 8 or 9 of those illegal street pulls out of the equation and is much safer for your life since you aren't going 100+ on the street.

Now that being said, all the good "dyno tunes" have a streetablilty part of them added in after the fact. When we tuned any of my cars, we always got them close on the dyno and then took them out on the street or track after to fine tune them.

When doing a data log tune, the tuner has too many variables out of his control. He can only tune for variables that he has complete understandings of.

That being said, a good tuner can get you very close remotely, but I'd be willing to bet that if you took your car to that same tuner and let him use his dyno and/or his environment he will get the car closer and make more power than he would remotely.

Also, keep in mind, if you are making pulls on the street and have an issue (there are plenty, but it is much harder to video a tuning session on the street than it is on a dyno) the problem is your, where if a tuner makes a mistake on a dyno they can catch it before it becomes catastrophic.

For my money, I will use a Dyno if it is available, then move to street/strip testing after.
atomicfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
Uhm so then why do all the best tuners invest tens of thousands of dollars in a dyno? A tune with a dyno is certainly preferable to a 100% remote data logged tune. Not to say that there's no value in the other. They can be very specific and tune in predictable repeatable conditions. Otherwise why even use a dyno? I'm not an expert but come on....
It Really Comes Down To experience Pure and Simple.

You have to ask your Local Dyno Tuner what they're Backround is, and how many of Your Platform or similar Platform they have tuned, Hopefully they will be truthful, and not make a Statement like, I am the Leading LS Tuner in the Country That was by far the worse Tune I have ever seen.

Just Because someone has a Dyno Does not mean they know how to use it, Nor Does it mean they Know How to Tune Your particular Platform or any for that matter.

I fix Hundreds of Botched Tunes that were done on a Dyno by a Tuner In Person.

WOT is the Easiest Part of the Tune and anyone with a Tuning Solution Can Nail it if they have any common Sense.

My Tunes Are Complete, from the moment you hit the Key Through every Throttle position and to WOT.

We invest in the Dyno To speed up the Process of Learning, Testing and evaluating, and for Safety reasons.

I Tuned Cars for 20 Years before I ever owned a dyno ( Which I have had for 10 Years Now) on the Street and on the Track, Using What Ever data we could collect, Stop Watches, Time Slips, Radar Guns, Plug Readings, Eyes, Ears, and Feeling, etc. etc. the Process took Months not hours.

Hope This Helps.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 03-19-2012 at 11:38 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Fiftydriver

I think the reason most tuners have a dyno is because its the only practical way they can tune cars at their location more then anything else.

Hard to get a car out on the street and do WOT tuning in a city!!!

I would not say that makes the Dyno hands down better, it makes it possible for a performance shop to tune their customers car in shop.....

I know there are at least a couple high performance shops here on Camaro5 that only do on road tuning. Hopefully some of the tuners will chime in with some expert opinions on this topic, would be interesting to hear their thoughts.

Have also heard that even if shops do dyno tunes, many of them still take the cars on the street with the lap tops to check and tweak things so that clouds the waters even more.....

Good replies, keep them coming, interesting.

More to come!!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Fiftydriver

Thanks guys for chiming in.

Ted, After going through the process with you and actually seeing the attention to detail you gave my tune, it just made me start to wonder why both methods are not at least very similiar as far as success in the end.

I guess if your looking to get every last HP out of your car a dyno tune may have some advantage, I do not know.

Personally, and as I told you at the start of our project, I wanted power but safety first and a reliable long running engine. That is what you have given me and we will be doing the same thing down the road on the next round of upgrades here soon.

Thanks for posting!!

Keep them coming guys.

More to come!!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
I used to do all of our tuning on the street while datalogging. I did it that way for almost 3yrs. In our new facility we purchased a new dyno. I still tune on the dyno not only for WOT but for the drivability part as well. The reason for the dyno is to be able to do the complete tuning process in house where it is safe and I am not at risk or liable for someone running into me while tuning on the street for 6 hrs. However, after I complete the tune on the dyno I do a drvabilty check down the road to make sure my corrections are where I want them. That takes 20 minutes vs. 6 hrs on the street for tuning. Alot of people use dynos for #'s only, we actually use ours as a tuning tool like it is supposed to be used for.

Remote tuning is fine. You are collecting data needed to send to a tuner who will make corrections and email the tune back to you. No issue with that at all.You are getting live data from your vehicle.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
It Really Comes Down To experience Pure and Simple.

You have to ask your Local Dyno Tuner what they're Backround is, and how many of Your Platform or similar Platform they have tuned, Hopefully they will be truthful, and not make a Statement like, I am the Leading LS Tuner in the Country That was by far the worse Tune I have ever seen.

Just Because someone has a Dyno Does not mean they know how to use it, Nor Does it mean they Know How to Tune Your particular Platform or any for that matter.

I fix Hundreds of Botched Tunes that were done on a Dyno by a Tuner In Person.

WOT is the Easiest Part of the Tune and anyone with a Tuning Solution Can Nail it if they have any common Sense.

My Tunes Are Complete, from the moment you hit the Key Through every Throttle position and to WOT.

We invest in the Dyno To speed up the Process of Learning, Testing and evaluating, and for Safety reasons.

I Tuned Cars for 20 Years before I ever owned a dyno on the Street and on the Track, Using What Ever data we could collect, Stop Watches, Time Slips, Radar Guns, Plug Readings, Eyes, Ears, and Feeling, etc. etc. the Process took Months not hours.

Hope This Helps.

Ted.
for Ted's remote tune.

So I was a classic case of listening to others rather than trusting my instincts.

I fitted my Whipple kit, uploaded the tune and then did exhaust so figured the canned tune was too risky.

After reading about all the happy JRE customers I thought that was the way to go. Then I made the mistake of letting someone talk me into taking to a guy they said was excellent ... because "a dyno is the only way to go" ... or so I thought.

After dropping $100's, taking it back 4 or 5 times (130 mile round trip), having it run like a pig and actually die under WOT in second gear, the guy refuse to log on the street (or let me), I decided enough was enough.

I emailed Ted, went to their website to purchase my SCT-X3 and other parts; they arrived within a couple of days. I received and uploaded my first tune based on Ted's vast database of configurations.

Then the logging started; over and over with new tunes until he was happy. He discovered issues with the log that the other guy missed repeatedly when he was staring at the car.

Tuning a car is not about a dyno. It's about experience, knowledge, attention to detail and above all patience.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
One thing you get with a dyno is a quantifiable result. I did this, made this many horses, tweaked this, made 10 more horses. You can't get that on the street.

I've been drag racing for 25 years, we used our time slips to tune, that's the only thing that counted, lowest E.T. I've made passes that seemed to me like record breakers were actually slower by a bit, record breaking passes that felt slow. I would never use feel, we are not that good. You can tune for optimal air fuel mixture but some cars went faster if they ran fatter, some went faster if they ran leaner. One rule of thumb that we stuck too was, set your timing for best m.p.h. and set your mixture for best E.T.
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote