Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #15
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Does it run on ugly? Damn—it makes me want run! What happened to the gorgeous concept? I heard the wind tunnel didn't go so well, but the redesign went downright wrong.
This isn't a photo or even a sketch released by GM. This is web nerds giving their opinion of what they think it will be.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #16
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
This isn't a photo or even a sketch released by GM. This is web nerds giving their opinion of what they think it will be.
That's true. I'm just saying that this rendering is some sort of mistake. What makes them think it will be so ugly?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Yeah, I'd like to see GM's official design. Looks like this is as good as it gets for now- just a peek. So far it doesn't look too bad, the head lights look like they were borrowed from a Honda.

If GM can pull this car off, they'll share the technology with their other brands and they'll be back on top in the no.#1 spot.
Attached Images

Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
There's not enough labels on that picture. I wonder if it's the electric car that could save GM...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #19
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see GM's official design. Looks like this is as good as it gets for now- just a peek. So far it doesn't look too bad, the head lights look like they were borrowed from a Honda.

If GM can pull this car off, they'll share the technology with their other brands and they'll be back on top in the no.#1 spot.
Why cant they just yank the cover off that thing, i want to see it. It's looking great so far.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #20
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
looking good though

It will be like another 3 years till Chrysler comes out with a hybrid

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #21
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Actually the range on the Volt will be far less. They have decided to reduce the size of the gas tank by almost half to save weight and reduce costs so the range will be 300-400 miles a tank like most cars. Also the 1.0L 3cyl turbo engine is gone and it will be a 1.4L 4cyl non turbo engine. The new engine will be less expensive and is more efficient in solid state mode than the turbo model.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
Here we go again. They show us a concept that is really cool and then now are saying it will now just look like an average car. Over promise and under deliver again.
They never promised anything. So that's strike 1. In fact, they made VERY clear that the shape would change while staying true to the design...does a certain quote:

"It was more aerodynamic if we put it in the wind-tunnel backwards"

ring any bells? That's strike 2: they said it WOULD change. And you're looking at an artists rendition that looks nothing like the real car that's under that sheet. Strike 3.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Also the 1.0L 3cyl turbo engine is gone and it will be a 1.4L 4cyl non turbo engine. The new engine will be less expensive and is more efficient in solid state mode than the turbo model.
That makes sense. A turbo gasoline engine can be more efficient in normal applications because, when you're not running flat-out, you're using a smaller engine; but in a series hybrid application, it only ever runs at its most efficient output...so there's no advantage to using a smaller turbocharged engine instead of a larger NA engine.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
um whats the gas milage on it when it dies
~50-55 mpg is the goal I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
looking good though

It will be like another 3 years till Chrysler comes out with a hybrid
Like the 2009 Aspen hybrid?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #25
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Actually the range on the Volt will be far less. They have decided to reduce the size of the gas tank by almost half to save weight and reduce costs so the range will be 300-400 miles a tank like most cars. Also the 1.0L 3cyl turbo engine is gone and it will be a 1.4L 4cyl non turbo engine. The new engine will be less expensive and is more efficient in solid state mode than the turbo model.
i got 400 miles to a tank in a 1998 vw jetta.

so why is this car so exciting? i'm hearing $40k for the volt. i understand the whole if you drive less then 40 miles a day you never have to use any gas. but how long till you save enough on gas to make up the difference of the $40k price tag?

i was really excited for this car when i was hearing 600 to 700 miles a tank. not really that excited anymore.
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swazworth View Post
i got 400 miles to a tank in a 1998 vw jetta.

so why is this car so exciting? i'm hearing $40k for the volt. i understand the whole if you drive less then 40 miles a day you never have to use any gas. but how long till you save enough on gas to make up the difference of the $40k price tag?

i was really excited for this car when i was hearing 600 to 700 miles a tank. not really that excited anymore.
depends how far you drive and the price of gas and how efficient your alternative is. Plus there are also probably going to be government rebates to reduce the cost of the car. And I might be wrong, but I believe that GM is willing to sell the volt at a loss: that would cost them less than to have the volt fail.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #27
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Well for one that kind of tank range just isn't very useful to most people. With a car that could potentially spend months in between fuel ups, the gas in the tank would go bad before it even gets used.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Exactly!
It's not meant to be primarily driven off the gas in the tank; so unless you go on extended road trips often; it's total range shouldn't mean anything to you. It's supposed to be charged up every night and driven ~40 miles during the day.

If you want to get into semantics: it could be argued that the car has an unlimited range. If you fill up the tank, and drive 40 miles a day/charge it every night -- you'll never empty that tank. So the car can go "Infinity" on a single tank of gas.

I have yet to understand why total range is so important, it's not what this car is about..................