Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
AerospaceGuy
Hating my Ford

Drives: 99 Mercury Cougar
New car maintenance

This past weekend I was watching the guys on HorsepowerTV drop a brand new 383 stroker into a Vette when they made a couple comments about breaking the engine in. They were running regular petroleum based oil for the first couple thousand miles before switching to synthetic. Is organic oil proven to lubricate the internals more efficiently on a new motor? Is it something to do with the way organic oil bonds with the metal when it's new?

I've never owned a brand new car, so I wanna make sure I'm doing everything right for that awesome day when I own my new Camaro.
AerospaceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerospaceGuy View Post
This past weekend I was watching the guys on HorsepowerTV drop a brand new 383 stroker into a Vette when they made a couple comments about breaking the engine in. They were running regular petroleum based oil for the first couple thousand miles before switching to synthetic. Is organic oil proven to lubricate the internals more efficiently on a new motor? Is it something to do with the way organic oil bonds with the metal when it's new?

I've never owned a brand new car, so I wanna make sure I'm doing everything right for that awesome day when I own my new Camaro.
Organic? What do you mean by that?

All oil is oil-based. The term "synthetic" is a bit misleading, because it's just a different way of formulating the oil (still petroleum-based)...it's not Man-made.

BUT, to answer your question as best I can (others can do better). Synthetic oil does lubricate the engine up much better than regular oil. So, most builders will reccommend starting out with regular oil, so the metal parts can seat themselves, and 'mate' surfaces better for the first few 100 - 1000 miles. After that, synthetic oil is viewed as a good choice to make by most. It is more expensive, but it lasts longer, and lubes better.

However...some newer cars are coming with synthetic oil from the factory so
Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Check out post #2 in this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3120
There is a link to an excellent article that steps you through breaking in a new engine.

Welcome to the Site!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
AerospaceGuy
Hating my Ford

Drives: 99 Mercury Cougar
That's a great site, thanks guys!
AerospaceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT