Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #43
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Yeah, that makes sense, and I like the uniqueness of it, but what about those hot days, driving down the freeway? Having the AC on high would surely drain that battery pretty quick. They must roll down, or come like T-tops. I'm just wondering how they do it?

Does the door open up wide to take it straight down, curve and all?

It did say the windows were dual paned glass, so maybe the curve is separate from the rest of the window?

I don't know, I'm just curious to see how the engineers/designers solved that issue.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 AM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Volt to be Built in Detroit/Hamtramck plant

SOURCE
Yeay!!

GM taps Detroit/Hamtramck plant to build its electric car

September 29, 2007
BY KATIE MERX and CECIL ANGEL
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

If General Motors Corp. manufactures the Chevrolet Volt, the automaker will build the extended-range electric vehicle in its Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly plant, the UAW said Friday in its summary of the tentative agreement.
The deal includes a plan to assemble the Volt starting in 2010 at the facility, known as the Poletown plant because of the area's ties to the Polish American community.

The Volt announcement, coupled with other commitments for the plant that are to begin as early as 2009, seems to move GM's hometown assembly plant from the endangered species list to one with a potentially electric future. Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly opened in 1985 with hopes it would revitalize the local economy and become a model for modern manufacturing, but its future often has looked uncertain.

Greg Kelly, 50, of Detroit, who has worked for GM for 29 years, could not believe the news. There had been a lot of talk about the plant going to one shift in January -- even shutting down -- he said.

"I think it's a great move for the people," he said. "You can look at some kind of future."

Kelly, a team coordinator, said it was especially good news for the younger workers. He then paused and chuckled. "What kind of car did you say that was again?" he asked.

But Paul Radatz, 44, of Fraser, an electrician at the plant, had mixed feelings about the new vehicle. "That's good they finally got a product lined up for us," he said. "I just hope it sells."

He prefers Cadillac and Buick Lucerne, luxury vehicles. "Those seem to have more steady sales," he said.
But overall, he said of the news, "I'm glad."

The commitment to build the Volt in Detroit links together in one contract two of GM's most critical gambles in trying to stay competitive with rival Toyota Motor Corp. The new contract has health care and wage provisions intended to bring down GM's labor costs closer to those of Toyota.

The plan to build the Volt is part of a much-publicized race to leapfrog Toyota as the world's leader of green-car technology. Toyota has become a leader in environmentally friendly vehicles, thanks in large part to the Prius, the top-selling gas-electric hybrid in the world.

GM unveiled the Volt, which could provide a new level of fuel economy, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

With the right batteries, GM says, the Volt could travel 40 miles -- equal to the average American's daily commute -- without a drop of gas. For those who drive farther, the Volt aims to use a three-cylinder gasoline engine to recharge the battery, so the vehicle could drive 640 miles on a 12-gallon tank without having to stop to refuel or recharge, averaging more than 50 miles per gallon.

The vehicle is dependent on contractors developing a power source that is safe, durable and affordable enough for use in a vehicle, but GM executives are growing increasingly confident that it will happen in a time frame that will enable them to build the Volt by 2010.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #45
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Thats great to hear. But I am a little concerned in the statement that GM isn't the leader in green technology. I though they had the most models with over 30 mpg and a lot of the best in class fuel economy awards. Could somebody back me up on this stuff? I think it would be interesting to see the average fuel economy of cars for each maker, based on sales. ie, multipy mpg by the number of each car sold with that mileage rating. then divide by the total number of vehicles sold. I suspect that GM will come out on top over company T
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #46
Mr. Wyndham

Probably, but like many others, what do you think of when you hear...(okay, I'll say it) "Toyota"?

I wince, but most think of Hybrids, and fuel economy. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the perception of company T than anything else.

And in the same sentance, I really like the whole 'leapfrog' idea! That's an understatement if I ever heard one.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #47
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
The Volt to star in Transformers 2?

This was found on another site...thought I'd share...I'd love to see the Volt in T2!

Transformers 2 is set for the summer of 2009 and that is looking like it might match up with the highly anticipated release of the Chevy Volt. The Internet has been a buzz all weekend that perhaps the Volt will land the starring role in the second Transformers installment.

The Camaro was a perfect star for Transformers, the majority of the gripes of the starrring role of the Camaro stemmed from the timing of the movie and the release of the Camaro for production...which was not as ideal as this possible Volt-Transformers 2 pairing.

When Transformers 2 is released in the summer of 2009, we will be mere months away from a vehicle's introduction that will revolutionize the auto world. It makes perfect sense for GM to do what it takes to ensure that the 2010 Chevrolet Volt is the lead car in the new transformers flick.

It has the looks. It has the fanfare, it's already doing wonders for GM on a PR level in its battle with Toyota. The Volt as the starring role in Transformers 2 in the summer of 2009....sounds good to me. What do you think?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #48
Mr. Wyndham

So what...Camaro Bumblbee is scrapped, and the Volt takes its place?

Allright......I guess I can deal with that, after all - Camaro will be out by then, I just hope it still makes an aperance.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well in the movie, Jazz (the solstice) was killed and bumble bee (camaro) survived. so it makes sense that the volt will take the place of the one that is now gone, leaving room for both the camaro and volt in the next one
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #50
Pencil.Fight

Yeah, Bumblebee has always been a Camaro, I don't think they could switch him out for a Volt. If you remember, at the end of the movie, Optimus Prime sent out a message to space telling all remaining transformers that they were there on Earth and to come join them. My guess is that the Volt would be one of the new ones.

I would be quite surprised if the Camaro Bumblebee was not the lead character in Tr2. If they do use the Volt, my guess is that he would be a supporting or secondary lead character.

I mean, just think about it, as cool as the Volt is, is it really bad-ass enough to be a lead character in Transformers?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #51
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
I would be quite surprised if the Camaro Bumblebee was not the lead character in Tr2. If they do use the Volt, my guess is that he would be a supporting or secondary lead character.

I mean, just think about it, as cool as the Volt is, is it really bad-ass enough to be a lead character in Transformers?
I totally agree. The volt should be in the film. Just not as a lead character. He should be like a wise or smart trasformer or something. Kinda like a R2-D2 just not as weird.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
it definitely could be!...Have you ever seen Transformers: Beast Wars?
That Tigertron or whoever he was..he was kinda a wierd, loner - nobody knew much about him, but when it came time, he was pure bad-ass. That's the Volt to a 'V'

I thought Bumblebee used to be a VW bug...which is why Camaro was such a radical depature for the character.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #53
Pencil.Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I totally agree. The volt should be in the film. Just not as a lead character. He should be like a wise or smart trasformer or something. Kinda like a R2-D2 just not as weird.
That's exactly what I was thinking. He'd be the "nerd" of the group. But then again, they're trying to improve the image of alternative vehicles, so that might not be the best idea. Maybe wise while still tough. That might send out the right message.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #54
Mr. Wyndham

Like an Episode III R2D2? He torched the crap out of those droids...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #55
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It's already been said that new characters will be introduced. I imagine BB will have a main role in the movie and the Volt will be a new autobot.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #56
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Voltron will be the new autobot...