Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
CamaroSS_LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM 6M
Thumbs up Another positive GM warranty repair story (from broken tail shaft issue)

This thread made me want to comment on my experiance;
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32938

I had the dreaded tail shaft issue in my 16K VIN# range SS manual.

Chesrown Automotive group in Delaware Ohio started working on it as soon as they received the car. GM had a new transmission on a FedEx truck early that same day. The Transmission arrived early the next morning; The Dealer called me around 3:00 in the afternoon and said my car was ready. The repair only took 1.5 days. WOW! I can’t thank GM and Chesrown enough for this quick repair, THANK YOU!

I have had the car back for several days now and absolutely no issues.

No Mod's love it just the way it is.

CamaroSS_LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
RuggZ
IM BAACK - ABM 2SS/Rs M6

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro&00 Firehawk#534
my car is 13,949 m6. did your car break or did it have a 'symptom' that caused you to bring it in?

I havent had a manual v8 in a while and there are a few quirks that annoy me, maybe i have a trans issue...

1993 GMC Yukon GT -to run stuff over- Black Cherry/Grey
1999 Olds Aurora '152 db audio system' Bronzemist/lt Grey
2000 Pontiac Trans Am FIREHAWK #534 of 704 Blk/Blk
2007 Buick LaCrosse 3.8 run 4ever, work car
RuggZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggZ View Post
my car is 13,949 m6. did your car break or did it have a 'symptom' that caused you to bring it in?

I havent had a manual v8 in a while and there are a few quirks that annoy me, maybe i have a trans issue...
Good question..
Old 07-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
CamaroSS_LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggZ View Post

Mine just went BANG! Under hard acceleration, then just would not go anymore. The Speedometer said I was moving but it would just not move.

I have had many manuals in my life. If you are experiencing clunking when letting out the clutch in certain situations that is a normal thing all manuals do including all makes.

What is yours doing? I would avoid having any work done unless your sure it’s not normal.

No Mod's love it just the way it is.

CamaroSS_LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS_300_HEMI_C View Post
Mine just went BANG! Under hard acceleration, then just would not go anymore. The Speedometer said I was moving but it would just not move.

I have had many manuals in my life. If you are experiencing clunking when letting out the clutch in certain situations that is a normal thing all manuals do including all makes.

What is yours doing? I would avoid having any work done unless your sure it’s not normal.
Did you get to look at the broken tailshaft? Did it look like a clean break or was there any twist or tearing of the metal evident?
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
camarosscrazy

Drives: Money Pits
Looks like same thing as my buddys mustang did. He broke 3 input shafts on his 03 gt before he finnaly went with an aftermarket one.
camarosscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
Dang, they are breaking off right at the last few inches of the tail shaft! I'd hate to be going at any decent speed if the front of the driveshaft is also falling to the ground.

So, the typical fix for this is to change out the tranny? I've always been a purist and would like to keep the numbers matching tranny with the car.
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
slowerthanu

Drives: 2ss on order, 06 f-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-er View Post
Dang, they are breaking off right at the last few inches of the tail shaft! I'd hate to be going at any decent speed if the front of the driveshaft is also falling to the ground.

So, the typical fix for this is to change out the tranny? I've always been a purist and would like to keep the numbers matching tranny with the car.
I wouldn't worry too much about the d-shaft, the exhaust mount will more than likely keep it up in the tunnel and the fact that it is a 2-piece also plays a role.

As for numbers matching, I bet GM is not wanting techs to tear down the trannies to replace the output, much easier to R and R.
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
RuggZ
IM BAACK - ABM 2SS/Rs M6

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro&00 Firehawk#534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS_300_HEMI_C View Post

Yes, It clunks when I push the clutch in sometimes when I am coming to a stop out of first, or at slow speeds when using reverse. It also will shake the car when taking off or reversing but that seems to be when I do not give it enough gas.

I have on two occations in the 900 miles turned on competitive mode and launched around 2500 rpm and shifted hard at 5200 rpm. This has resulted in a solid bark into second and a loud chirp into third on 20 inch rims @ eighty some miles per hour - what a beast - hope all is well with mine

my last manual was a total hot rod 86 trans am so I did not pay any mind to little quirks, it was a old hot rod.

My last new manual was a 01 eclipse front drive v6 and I did not have similar sounds. around 14k miles the eclipse throw out bearing started chattering loud when out of gear in nuetral with clutch pedal up. That drove me crazy and Mitsu would not correct under warranty even though it was a known problem. That was the first and last foreign car I bought. Traded it in on a one year old Trans Am Firehawk a4 fully loaded which I still love to drive (5 trans and 2 rear ends later ) I am 31 and have owned 62 vehicles to date.

What a great community we have here at Camaro5, thanks in advance for your input.

1993 GMC Yukon GT -to run stuff over- Black Cherry/Grey
1999 Olds Aurora '152 db audio system' Bronzemist/lt Grey
2000 Pontiac Trans Am FIREHAWK #534 of 704 Blk/Blk
2007 Buick LaCrosse 3.8 run 4ever, work car
RuggZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
Ruggz, our cars are only about 300 apart. Probably built within one day of each other, or maybe the same day. Do you know of any tailshaft breakage in our vin range?