Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
AgentJB
AgentJB

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Flowmaster AMT vs MRT 2.0 Axel-Back

Hey folks, I just wanted to share my recent experience with both exhaust systems on my car. Hopefully this will help people who are contemplating what to get if these two are in consideration.

Six months ago I had the Flowmaster AMT installed. After about 3 months I was on the verge of re-installing my stock exhaust system back on for a couple reasons. Yes, the AMT does produce an aggressive sound, there's no doubt about that. However, I noticed only at lower RPM levels does the AMT hold that aggressive tone. Once you reach higher RPM levels, the sound was getting a bit too "ricey" for me. At 70 MPH the drone was excessive and loud. At times where I could not hear the radio at volume 20. I couldn't take it anymore, I wanted my stock exhaust system back asap.

But, I started reading these threads about this MRT 2.0 exhaust that everyone keeps raving about. I bit the bullet, coughed up the $450, and decided to give it a shot. I went to my muffler shop, had it installed for $50, drove the car and.....I became a huge fan! I'd say the the MRT has a more aggressive sound and holds that aggressive sound better into higher RPM levels. Much less drone compared to what I experienced with the Flows.

I really don't want to talk down about Flowmaster because they have excellent products. I still love their exhaust system and currently have them on my 71 Camaro. However, I just don't feel it's a good choice for a V6.

I'll end this by saying that I'm a fan of the MRT 2.0 and I wouldn't have found out about this company without this forum so, I thank you!!
AgentJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
MRT 2.0 Army. We represent!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
MRT 2.0 FTW.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I have Flowmaster on my 71 Camaro to, do you have any pics of your 71?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
And here comes the MRT Army!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
I purchased MRT V1.0, waiting for it to arrive. If drone is to much I will purchase dynamat. If I were you find someone local to listen too. If not watch alot of video (yes I know it is not 100% accurate).
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Mike1ls

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I am really thinking on saving the money for the MRT 2.0. I recently heard the flowmaster AMT and it had a bit to much drone for me. For what I've seen and heard on a couple videos it that if you pair the MRT 2.0 with a set of shorty headers it makes a great exaust note (personal preferance). If anybody could add to this and tell me if you have put a set of shorty headers on with the flowmaster AMT and has a video, please post up a link so I could see.
Mike1ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentJB View Post
Hey folks, I just wanted to share my recent experience with both exhaust systems on my car. Hopefully this will help people who are contemplating what to get if these two are in consideration.

Six months ago I had the Flowmaster AMT installed. After about 3 months I was on the verge of re-installing my stock exhaust system back on for a couple reasons. Yes, the AMT does produce an aggressive sound, there's no doubt about that. However, I noticed only at lower RPM levels does the AMT hold that aggressive tone. Once you reach higher RPM levels, the sound was getting a bit too "ricey" for me. At 70 MPH the drone was excessive and loud. At times where I could not hear the radio at volume 20. I couldn't take it anymore, I wanted my stock exhaust system back asap.

But, I started reading these threads about this MRT 2.0 exhaust that everyone keeps raving about. I bit the bullet, coughed up the $450, and decided to give it a shot. I went to my muffler shop, had it installed for $50, drove the car and.....I became a huge fan! I'd say the the MRT has a more aggressive sound and holds that aggressive sound better into higher RPM levels. Much less drone compared to what I experienced with the Flows.

I really don't want to talk down about Flowmaster because they have excellent products. I still love their exhaust system and currently have them on my 71 Camaro. However, I just don't feel it's a good choice for a V6.

I'll end this by saying that I'm a fan of the MRT 2.0 and I wouldn't have found out about this company without this forum so, I thank you!!
Thank you for sharing this. This is good useful info.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
MRT all the way. Flowmasters get raspy at higher RPMs.
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowmaster exhaust, mrt 2.0