Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
^Thats it.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #16
Dylan

Drives: Pontiac
6 indeed my friends. that was a week and a half ago. maybe its a bit more right now. They are building captured fleet pilot cars right now, so its prob more than 6. ill find out
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #17
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Very nice, now all we need is the assurance that GM will be around to sell the car and we are all set.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
We have 2 members here that work at the plant and have confirmed this info.
Thank you. I do remember something about it a while back but wasn't sure how reliable the info was. So are these cars going to be on dealer lots? I also read somewhere on here some time ago that the factory could start building inventory cars by December. This is December. Does that mean Feb 16 is just the beginning of building our sold orders? I'm just not real clear on what this all means.
All these other builds are irrelivent to me other. than the fact that the more they build means the more they get to work out the bugs and train the people on the line. That would lead to a better product by the time they do build our orders. So will the cars being built now end up on the market, or do they go back and get destroyed with the IVERS?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #19
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Thank you. I do remember something about it a while back but wasn't sure how reliable the info was. So are these cars going to be on dealer lots?

No, I believe the term is captive test fleet. Meaning they are production intent cars that are being tested by GM folks.

I also read somewhere on here some time ago that the factory could start building inventory cars by December. This is December. Does that mean Feb 16 is just the beginning of building our sold orders? I'm just not real clear on what this all means.

As of right now official production for saleable cars begins in Feb. The cars I mentioned above are being built now in the factory.

All these other builds are irrelivent to me other. than the fact that the more they build means the more they get to work out the bugs and train the people on the line. That would lead to a better product by the time they do build our orders. So will the cars being built now end up on the market, or do they go back and get destroyed with the IVERS?

I don't remember what happens to the "shakedown" cars. I want to say they are made available to GM employees for purchase?
My comments in bold.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Thank you. I do remember something about it a while back but wasn't sure how reliable the info was. So are these cars going to be on dealer lots? I also read somewhere on here some time ago that the factory could start building inventory cars by December. This is December. Does that mean Feb 16 is just the beginning of building our sold orders? I'm just not real clear on what this all means.
The cars being built now will end up being sold as used cars after some refurb work. Until then they are test fleet cars for executives, vips, and reviewers.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #21
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
The cars being built now will end up being sold as used cars after some refurb work. Until then they are test fleet cars for executives, vips, and reviewers.
Actually, they will all be destroyed.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #22
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Actually, they will all be destroyed.

The current cars being built can not be sold, not even as used cars, for legal and insurance reasons. It would make sense to dismantle and reuse any non-mechanical parts on production cars but they aren't even allowed to do this.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #23
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

The current cars being built can not be sold, not even as used cars, for legal and insurance reasons. It would make sense to dismantle and reuse any non-mechanical parts on production cars but they aren't even allowed to do this.
Assuming that Dylan is not mistaken and these are, in fact, the "captive test fleet" cars... from another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Captive Test Fleet cars are 'saleable' cars-- meaning that while they will have retro-fits done on them -- they'll eventually be sold as used vehicles.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #24
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
A birdie told me #35 was going for crash test 2 weeks ago.
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #25
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK67 View Post
A birdie told me #35 was going for crash test 2 weeks ago.
I expect a few to be going down that road.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #26
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
:(
Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #27
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Question, given GM's current financial condition and "just in time" lean logistics, does anyone know how many Camaro's they can build with the parts/components ON HAND??

I'm guessing many suppliers may start asking for COD prior to shipping parts/components.

Any thoughts on how suppliers will react should GM file Chap 11 in the short term – say 30 to 60 days after??
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #28
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
Cant all the cars they are making now be sent out for aftermarket companies to use to make their parts?
I would kill for a gale banks diesel powered camaro. I would have so much torque and power that whenever I go to parades I would be physically able to throw torque out the window like candy for the kids.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote