Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #57
chaoscamaro

Drives: 2011 camaro ss2 I.O. M6
oh man, I am about to stop taking my tc to the wash too! Yea I wipe the Camaro down with waterless products when it's just spots of dirt here or there. But no way can I do this regularly with the whole car. Guess there is no way around it.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
chaoscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #58
sanjosebmx

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I went through a gas station car wash ONCE and almost threw up while I was in there.. never again (did not see any problems..but still)
sanjosebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #59
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
I cringe at it myself... but most of the time its my only option. I dont have a hose or a driveway where i live so most of the time i will just take it to the wand place down the street and try and get the salt from underneath the car off...
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #60
Stealy Phil

Drives: 2010 Camaro Dealer Show car
No way! I wash and detail my car myself. Only the best will do!
Stealy Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #61
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
NEVER!

Junkman's technique with Adams care afterwards....no swirls in my paint.
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #62
motorhead2011

Drives: 2011 IPC,2014 GT500
I do use a wand at the car wash once in a while.I like doing it at home.Just plumbed up a hot water faucet today beside my cold water out of the garage.Hot water cleans much better.
motorhead2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #63
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
I do all the time. Everyone has their own opinion, and that's ok, it's their car to do as they see fit. I can't say it's only a car, but I do use the car washes. My obsessive tendencies are reserved for where I park, where I drive, and what's going on around it!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #64
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
I do all the time. Everyone has their own opinion, and that's ok, it's their car to do as they see fit. I can't say it's only a car, but I do use the car washes. My obsessive tendencies are reserved for where I park, where I drive, and what's going on around it!
It's not like it is going to destroy your car. the difference comes as time goes by. if you hand was and wax regularly and exclusively upwards of 15 yrs from now your finish can still look pretty much new. that wont be the case with car washes. for someone wanting to keep their car a long time, and have it look as good as possible for that time; then hand washing is the way to go. but someone who doesn't keep cars forever, or doesn't care if a 10 yr old car looks like a 10 yr old car then you might as well save yourself the time and energy of hand washing.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #65
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
It's not like it is going to destroy your car. the difference comes as time goes by. if you hand was and wax regularly and exclusively upwards of 15 yrs from now your finish can still look pretty much new. that wont be the case with car washes. for someone wanting to keep their car a long time, and have it look as good as possible for that time; then hand washing is the way to go. but someone who doesn't keep cars forever, or doesn't care if a 10 yr old car looks like a 10 yr old car then you might as well save yourself the time and energy of hand washing.
Disagree ...You can wash your car by hand or in a touchless car wash and the paint will look the same in 15 years..
Going through a touchless isn't going to make the paint look any older in time!! Period.
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #66
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
Disagree ...You can wash your car by hand or in a touchless car wash and the paint will look the same in 15 years..
Going through a touchless isn't going to make the paint look any older in time!! Period.
touchless, no. but those don't typically get the car clean. I was referring to the other ones. though I wouldn't be surprised to find out that over time the touchless do diminish your finish. I have no idea what they use chemical wise, but I'm sure it's stronger and harder on the finish than the liquid you buy in your typical autoparts store.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #67
superbears14

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 Vert
Used one today! Car looks great! Was very hesitant about it because it was the first time I have ever washed the car, but I did it anyways. (I'm away at school and can't wash the car any other way, and no touchless stations very close).
superbears14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #68
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
touchless, no. but those don't typically get the car clean. I was referring to the other ones. though I wouldn't be surprised to find out that over time the touchless do diminish your finish. I have no idea what they use chemical wise, but I'm sure it's stronger and harder on the finish than the liquid you buy in your typical autoparts store.

Maybe harsher possibly but with regular waxing just like you would do on a hand wash detail, it should be fine in my opinion..
And I do agree after the touchless wash it's almost religion for me to go over it with detail spray..but it is still a much quicker alternative for someone always on a time crunch, with results that are more then adequate!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #69
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Hand wash only.. my car have never seen the inside of an automatic car wash. Hand wash is kind of expensive but its worth it.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #70
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
Maybe harsher possibly but with regular waxing just like you would do on a hand wash detail, it should be fine in my opinion..
And I do agree after the touchless wash it's almost religion for me to go over it with detail spray..but it is still a much quicker alternative for someone always on a time crunch, with results that are more then adequate!!
if you go to touchless washes your car either isn't going to be clean enough to wax, your going to wax over dirt, or your going to have to hand was it first. and that would defeat the whole purpose of going to the car wash in the first place.