Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Texaslegend

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think something is wrong... please help!

Well im going to try and make this short but any help is appreciated. I have the car in my signature and something feels wrong. I went out the other night and everything was fine. I got down on it 1 good time and everything was fine. When i got to my buddies house i stayed there for a while but when i went to leave i cranked it up and it seemed like it was idling really low and my car was shaking like an old muscle car. I switched my Aeroforce gauge to read RPMs and they were jumping from around 450 to around 650. So i get out and i hear a ticking sound that has no rythm its just constant. I searched threads on here about the ticking and alot of people noticed the same thing and said it was normal. I just dont remember ever hearing it before and dont know if i only noticed it then because i was searching for a problem. The ticking is coming from what sounds like the lower part of the engine bay but i can also hear it in my exhaust from the back of the car. I have no idea and am scared to drive it hard right now until i can have it looked at. So i guess im asking if anyone knows what might be ticking or if im just blowing this out of proportion.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaslegend View Post
Well im going to try and make this short but any help is appreciated. I have the car in my signature and something feels wrong. I went out the other night and everything was fine. I got down on it 1 good time and everything was fine. When i got to my buddies house i stayed there for a while but when i went to leave i cranked it up and it seemed like it was idling really low and my car was shaking like an old muscle car. I switched my Aeroforce gauge to read RPMs and they were jumping from around 450 to around 650. So i get out and i hear a ticking sound that has no rythm its just constant. I searched threads on here about the ticking and alot of people noticed the same thing and said it was normal. I just dont remember ever hearing it before and dont know if i only noticed it then because i was searching for a problem. The ticking is coming from what sounds like the lower part of the engine bay but i can also hear it in my exhaust from the back of the car. I have no idea and am scared to drive it hard right now until i can have it looked at. So i guess im asking if anyone knows what might be ticking or if im just blowing this out of proportion.
A rough idle and low rpm's tells me something aint quite right... Do not drive it hard. did you keep the factory lifters when you did the maggie, or did you do the LS-3 conversion...I could be way wrong but it sounds like a lifter may have gone south...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Lifter broke or valve drop? Onstar you a tow truck and do not run it.

Good Luck!

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Texaslegend

The internals are totally stock. No LS3 conversion. Any more input?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
scooter k

Drives: ex-wife's car
Is the check engine light on or flashing? I'm wondering if it isn't missing on a cylinder??? Could be a lifter but I'm wondering if you broke a valve spring.
scooter k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
As the posters said, sounds like lifter or valve. That happened to me once when I reved it too high and as I was coming home in a 30 mile zone, I could hear the ticking sound.

How far are you from ADM? Best thing to consult with Andy to see if you should even drive it or not before having it checked out.

Last edited by Z_Rocks; 03-18-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
check this out and maybe he can help you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132873

best to have it looked at and just go form there like you said

Last edited by BigBlock427; 03-18-2011 at 06:44 PM.
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Slim2SS
Black Thunder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had the same exact scenario happen to me. Turned out to be the top ring land on the number seven piston broke. I would not drive the car untill you get it checked out.
Cooling Mist Water/Meth
3.25 blower pulley
FAST 65 lb. hr. injectors
JRE Edelbrock fuel system upgrade
GM ZR-1 Clutch
Roto Fab CAI
Kooks Headers Jet Hot Coated
Kooks High Flow Cats
3" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust
Barton Short Throw Shifter
JRE Dyno Tune
Slim2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
L99's that were S/C'd - some of them have had a lifter collapse.

It's either that, or a piston.

I would talk to Andy at ADM if i were you.. he is in TX. and knows a lot about these cars.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I wouldn't even start it up...

I would tow it to your tuner that did the work or someone else and let them look at it...

If there is a problem you may can save not having to replace the motor which would be 8k or better....
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Texaslegend

Well thanks for all the input guys... Ive contacted my tuner just waiting on a responce. Worst part is this is my daily driver. If its a lifter or something like that can it just be replaced with new lifters or is there probably more damage?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
May I ask who performed your work? Tune?
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
May I ask who performed your work? Tune?
I'm curious about that one as well... Close friend of mine used a tuner builder in that area... Not ADM...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
could be lots of things from wiring being chewed on by mice (maf), broken lifter, broken valve spring (better hope not), bent valve stem, bad fuel, etc. must have it diagnosed. Good Luck.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote