Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Facts:

1. Yes, your Camaro has depreciated that much.
2. You will never come on out ahead when dealing with a car dealership.

and thats why i find it crazy people who put their car away for the winter also, These are a "working man's" sports car and a great deal at that compared to the Mustang/ Challenger , You get alot more bang for your buck, Drive the thing nd enjoy it,
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Exactly as stated before, when we take a car in on trade, KBB is useless. NADA is closer, but almost always it is based off of auction data. KBB and NADA aren't market based, so they are inaccurate.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Always try to sell privately. The dealership has to make money, a private person just wants a good deal.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
v6_camaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
It depends on the dealership and how desperate they are selling you a new car. I had an '07 FJ Cruiser with almost 80K and the dealership offered $19K trade in value for Camaro LS. I paid $26K for the FJ and in 5 years, the car only depreciated $7K with that much mileage. Shop around to other dealerships and negotiate the trade in value. Also, usually the end of year is also a good time to buy because most dealerships want to rid off the current year model.
v6_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
I'd like to get a new 1LT vert in the spring,but I don't wanna take a bath on my trade. As I only have 1,450 miles on my will-be 2 year old car (it's stored for ther winter,now).
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #20
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
KBB isn't worth crap dude to dealers. Dealers use black book values which change weekly based on what a car similar to yours brought in at auction the week before. As a general rule of thumb, expect to get 70% of KBB Good value.

As already mentioned, your car is worth $17-$18k and this is about what a dealer will sale it for. If you are serious about getting a SS, sale it privately first.
All depends on location and availability. I've never had to take under KBB.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #21
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I just think that it is crazy, I have lost my as* in this car and will have no choice but to keep the Camaro that I have. Yes I really wanted a SS but the same thing would happen with that car as well!! This is the first car that I have ever bought new and probably the last car I buy new.
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
idealneil

Drives: 2011 SS/RS And 2011 LT
Just think you are down 9K and that includes TT&L , Just think if you bought a SS back then and trying to trade-in now those have lost alot more than that. Dealerships get you both ways. They should at least offer to buy you dinner and drinks first.
idealneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I came out pretty good, lost about 6-8 thousand for driving a 2LT for 3 years, 9000 miles. I had gone to other dealers though that tried to rip me off likes yours is attempting.

The dealer had real high hopes they were gonna sell my old car for 2K less than new, but they had to come down to slightly more than NADA trade value to get someone to buy it. The book values are inflated for Camaros right now, they need to take another market survey...trade in values on book are closer to what people are paying retail.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #24
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
thats higher than what I would have paid...you paid 23000 and you put 40k on it?? what were you expecting?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
CarlC1

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 1SS M6
Keep the car and save your money. Once you get about 7K saved check out the vendors here and get yourself a quote on a 6.2 crate motor. While your saving enjoy your ride.

Carl
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
a few months ago i was looking at maybe trading mine and my 2011 ive had for over 2 years with 30k miles i was offered 19k. which i was pretty okay with for being a trade in value. not bad really. alot better then my kia i had before LOL i bought that for 16k and whe i traded it i got like 9k or something bad like that. it was pretty similar as far as age and miles as my camaro is now. go to a different dealer, you can always ask more, or try and private sell.
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingcamaro View Post
I just think that it is crazy, I have lost my as* in this car and will have no choice but to keep the Camaro that I have. Yes I really wanted a SS but the same thing would happen with that car as well!! This is the first car that I have ever bought new and probably the last car I buy new.
Hey you want a SS then buy a used one with what you would of spent on the extra cost on a new one, The guys that own a SS is going to lose there as@ also. You had to know going in that your car lost value as soon as it hit the street. $14,000 aint that bad and i am sure you can find a Used SS for $20K.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #28
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Hey you want a SS then buy a used one with what you would of spent on the extra cost on a new one, The guys that own a SS is going to lose there as@ also. You had to know going in that your car lost value as soon as it hit the street. $14,000 aint that bad and i am sure you can find a Used SS for $20K.
So he's expecting more than 14k trade in for a base model...................which a few posters have pointed out is a fair blackbook offer and yes SS owners would take a bath on trading in a 2-3 year old model as well. The comparision stops there though. Once traded a dealer would attempt to retail a base model with a 25% mark up in the 17-18K range and your suggesting erroniously that the OP could find a used SS for a grand or two more..................you do realize the black book trade in value for a first production year SS model with similiar milage and condition would obviously be more than a few grand more than a base model anything, especially a 2 ss equiped one. It would also retail with a higher asking price percentage..usually in the neighborhood of 20% more than a base model. For comparison......if a dealer offered the OP 20K for a SS with 40k on the odometer and then marked it up 40 -45% ..........the retail asking price would be in the 24-25k range..........far more than the base models 17-18k retail. It would take more than a little good luck to find a used SS model for 20k unless your buying it from a fence looking to unload it.............

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 11-06-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote