Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
ZL1 engine bay question?

I was just wondering why the ZL1 has a slightly different tower brace to clear the supercharger when the standard bar from the 'vert will clear one with ease, as clearly seen on this photo of a supercharged 'vert from hennessey. I know that the way gm does it's intercooler setup is different but i was led to believe that the maggies had integrated cooling as well, just not as well organized as the gm designed units. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 04-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
1981DFA

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
who knows. it may be more ridged, it may be completely for looks. Any ideas anyone?
1981DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
shl4Z28

Drives: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
One thing is for sure, that picture of the Hennessey engine bay makes the ZL1 bay look like a teenager's bedroom (a mess).
shl4Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shl4Z28 View Post
One thing is for sure, that picture of the Hennessey engine bay makes the ZL1 bay look like a teenager's bedroom (a mess).
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think it's got something to due with the upper plenum clearance and such. GM's not likely to run multiple pieces that do the same thing just because. What I'm more concerned with is if it's going to be fully welded unlike the 'vert bar I checked already. I just wonder if it's necessary.

As far as the mess - is it that bad, really? Would you rather money be taken from ZL1's performance for the sake of cleaning a little clutter? Not me. Who's stoppong anyone from cleaning this on their own, on their dollar? I'd take performance instead of clwaning a little clutter. Besides - I didn't know we've seen the final car yet...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
To me the ZL1 brace is taller by using the top of the firewall as a reference. It could be an optical illusion, because of the way the pictures is taken. From what I've seen OEM intercoolers are thicker than Maggies.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I was just wondering why the ZL1 has a slightly different tower brace to clear the supercharger when the standard bar from the 'vert will clear one with ease, as clearly seen on this photo of a supercharged 'vert from hennessey. I know that the way gm does it's intercooler setup is different but i was led to believe that the maggies had integrated cooling as well, just not as well organized as the gm designed units. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Magnacharger systems do have cooling....but, forgive me, Magnuson....they're TINY intercoolers compared to this OEM brick. And everything's mounted "upside down" from the factory so all-in-all, I imagine the whole assembly is a little taller.

It could also have something to do with testing and validation.

These are all guesses on my part. One things for certain - they don't do something "just to do it"...especially not on the ZL1 where costs and attention are so valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What I'm more concerned with is if it's going to be fully welded unlike the 'vert bar I checked already. I just wonder if it's necessary.
It appears to use identical mounting brackets as the convertible...bolted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
As far as the mess - is it that bad, really? Would you rather money be taken from ZL1's performance for the sake of cleaning a little clutter? Not me. Who's stoppong anyone from cleaning this on their own, on their dollar? I'd take performance instead of clwaning a little clutter. Besides - I didn't know we've seen the final car yet...
I'm with you. I don't see a mess...especially not when I saw it in person. I saw art.