Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
G8 GXP Vs. Camaro SS

Before I get the inevitable response "BUT THE GEE EIGHT HAS FOR DORS!", I want to mention I am cross shopping these vehicles. In fact, I think every vehicle can be compared to every other vehicle. I recently chose between a silverado, trail blazer, and acadia. not necessarily in the same "class", but still can be cross shopped.

So I've weeded out the CTS (my other vehicle I was shopping), and am down to just the G8 GXP and Camaro 2SS. Performance wise, I think the 'maro will beat it out slightly, but they both have the LS3, and aren't going to weigh a whole lot different. (the GXP recently was said to have 415hp with the M6) Unfortunately G8 pricing isn't out yet, but I'm expecting it to be a few thousand over the 2SS pricing. I like the interior of the G8 a bit more, though the exterior gets a slight nod in the Camaro direction.

I'm hoping to order one or the other in the next couple of weeks, but I'm not sure which! What are your opinions on the G8, and how it stacks up to the Camaro.

Edit: I also have the feeling in the next 6 months Camaro's are going to become very common (which is great for GM!), but the G8 might remain slightly rarer. This may weigh in my decision as well.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It really does come down to a preference between two or four doors.

The Camaro 2SS will beat out the the GXP in terms of performance.
But the G8 will be much more family-friendly due to the interior room and larger backseats.

That's my take on it.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Been kicking this and more around for many months.

Pontiac G8 GXP - Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive

Curb Weight (lbs)4023 (manual)Curb Weight (lbs)4050 (auto)

Horsepower402 @ 6000 Torque (lb-ft)402 @ 4400

Wheelbase (in.)114.8

Length (in.)196.1

Width (in.)74.8

Height (in.)57.7

So the G8 GXP manual trans weighs 163lbs more than Camaro SS manual trans(3860lbs)with no sunroof or other heavy options.

GM has been quoted saying the price will be "just under $40,000" for the GXP.

I have not sat in a Camaro yet, but the G8 is super roomy front and back with a huge trunk. Larger windows to see out on the G8.

The Camaro has the cool factor, inside and out, wins hands down.

The GXP has the FE3 suspension, the same suspension level as the Camaro SS. Just add 163 lbs more to the handling in the GXP.

My bottom line is, roomy,fast and fun. (G8) or

Killer styling inside and out, a little quicker than the GXP, but not much. (Camaro SS)
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Personally not a fan of the G8 styling...that signature Pontiac grille that is still around from the 90's just doesn't sit well with me.

1992:

2008:
1_2Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
Personally not a fan of the G8 styling...that signature Pontiac grille that is still around from the 90's just doesn't sit well with me.

1992:

2008:
I'm sorry, but its actually kinda scary see those 2 comparison pictures... because they are much more simular than I thought....
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
kdbolt70

I can see where the styling is a little too remeniscent of past pontiacs, but I think the GXP changes up the front enough to not be too much of an eyesore:

Not to mention, both of my last cars were 4 doors, and I really liked the convenience. Though I'm only 21, and once I have kids I won't have the option of getting a coupe as a daily driver, which is why I'm leaning towards it now.

Also, the GXP only has brembo fronts if I recall correctly, single piston rears.
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
camaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
I'm sorry, but its actually kinda scary see those 2 comparison pictures... because they are much more simular than I thought....

Yep, I wasn't going to say it , but when I saw those two pictures side by side, I was like - whoa; I got this old styling feeling, now I see why.

Advantage: Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I can see where the styling is a little too remeniscent of past pontiacs, but I think the GXP changes up the front enough to not be too much of an eyesore:

Not to mention, both of my last cars were 4 doors, and I really liked the convenience. Though I'm only 21, and once I have kids I won't have the option of getting a coupe as a daily driver, which is why I'm leaning towards it now.

Also, the GXP only has brembo fronts if I recall correctly, single piston rears.

This is definitely a sweet picture. Looks more stylized than GT. Maybe if we don't park next to 1990's Pontiacs it would be OK. I know what you mean about room, the G8 is mega roomy.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The truth is that both have the functionalities of ordinary life. If you want a car that's 100% performance, the only real car for you is a Corvette ZR1. If you want a car with functionality, then you've got the Camaro or the G8. If you want more performance, you've got the Camaro SS or the G8 GXP. In this case, you've got to decide between a convenient 4-door beast or a slightly faster beast that requires you to move the seat forward every time that someone sits behind you. They're both pretty much the same, but the Camaro has the coupe appeal, which may not be appealing to someone who constantly has 3 or more passengers.

Since you don't want to hear the doors argument, I'll give you a different one. Styling is an issue for some people. Most cars look more like the G8 than the Camaro in today's market. The Camaro stands apart because it has less rounded shapes than other cars on the market. It matches the domestic competition appropriately. On the other hand, the G8 is in the mix with shapes that fit the international market. It's more mainstream. What style would you rather have—sporty with curves or sporty with angles?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
camaro5

I'll throw one in there: The G8 is assembled in Australia. The Camaro will be assembled in Canada. I'm betting Canadians buy more US goods than Australia, if for no other reason then location. This goes on and on...
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
I'll throw one in there: The G8 is assembled in Australia. The Camaro will be assembled in Canada. I'm betting Canadians buy more US goods than Australia, if for no other reason then location. This goes on and on...
On the other hand, Pontiac sells better in Canada than Chevy. :seesaw: Chevrolet sells better in the US than Pontiac.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
kdbolt70

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
This is definitely a sweet picture. Looks more stylized than GT. Maybe if we don't park next to 1990's Pontiacs it would be OK. I know what you mean about room, the G8 is mega roomy.
Yes, it is really nice inside the G8's. I test drove one as soon as they hit the dealership, and actually put an order in through GM Company Vehicle Operations (Dad's a GM employee), only to find out it would take them about 6 months to preference, build, and ship it to the states. So I cancelled the order to wait on the GXP. It was during this wait that I fell back in love with the camaro, so now its becoming quite a struggle for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The truth is that both have the functionalities of ordinary life. If you want a car that's 100% performance, the only real car for you is a Corvette ZR1. If you want a car with functionality, then you've got the Camaro or the G8. If you want more performance, you've got the Camaro SS or the G8 GXP. In this case, you've got to decide between a convenient 4-door beast or a slightly faster beast that requires you to move the seat forward every time that someone sits behind you. They're both pretty much the same, but the Camaro has the coupe appeal, which may not be appealing to someone who constantly has 3 or more passengers.

Since you don't want to hear the doors argument, I'll give you a different one. Styling is an issue for some people. Most cars look more like the G8 than the Camaro in today's market. The Camaro stands apart because it has less rounded shapes than other cars on the market. It matches the domestic competition appropriately. On the other hand, the G8 is in the mix with shapes that fit the international market. It's more mainstream. What style would you rather have—sporty with curves or sporty with angles?
I appreciate your input. You are right, the G8's blend in with today's cars a bit more. Especially where I work, its Office Building USA, meaning Acuras and BMW's and Lexus' and Infinities are a dime a dozen. I occasionally see a G8 around, but I only notice it because I'm looking for them; not because they stand out. Granted, this is a plus for the sleeper effect. A 400+hp car that blends in is often an enjoyable thing to be driving. I'm actually quite fond of the appearance, because it has a little bit more "classy" muscle look, rather than the camaro's "sporty" muscle look.

In the end, I really think its going to come down to pricing. If the GXP is around 40k, I don't think its worth the extra 6k for me. If it comes in much more competitive to the Camaro's pricing, then I'll definitely have to do some soul searching...
Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #12
camaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
On the other hand, Pontiac sells better in Canada than Chevy. :seesaw: Chevrolet sells better in the US than Pontiac.
I did not know that...Of course, the G8 is a limited production vehicle:

April 2008 Pontiac G8 sales = 2,126

May 2008 Pontiac G8 sales = 1,831

June 2008 Pontiac G8 sales = 1,536

Even if they sell 2000/month, that's only 24000 G8's a year.

A drop in the Camaro's 100,000 per year maximum bucket. So the Camaro will be more available even at fewer retail outlets.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
i dont care if it looks like that other car. the G8 has better styling then the new BMW's and other 4doors in the classes above it. it drives like a champ and i would buy one if the Camaro wasnt coming out.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i dont care if it looks like that other car. the G8 has better styling then the new BMW's and other 4doors in the classes above it. it drives like a champ and i would buy one if the Camaro wasnt coming out.
Those are my sentiments exactly. The G8 is a sure winner. If I could afford one after college, that would be an easy decision for me. The other alternatives are a Solstice GXP or a Sky Redline.