#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #29
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'll take a loss of money in depreciation any day over buying something that someone else treated like shit. At least I'll know every single detail of my car instead of wondering if some goon owned it and decided that a brand new engine doesn't need to be broken in and hammered it every chance he got. You wanna take on someone else's nightmare then be my guest.
I have never bought a used car since I bought my first new car in 1980, a Volkswagen Scirocco. Great car, manual of course. I am just to chicken to buy something I don't know what has been done to it and hidden. If I knew the owner and they were the only owner, then maybe.

I always buy new, pay it off, keep it awhile and trade it in buy another pay less sales tax.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #30
Ranch41

Drives: 2011 Z06 Carbon & 2018 Camaro ZL1
In everyone’s analysis the one factor which fails to be considered is the intrinsic value people place on having the thing when and how that particular person wants it. For some, the depreciation of driving a new car off the lot is lower than the enjoyment that person receives from driving that same new car off the lot or the depreciation is lower than the enjoyment that person receives from driving that car around today and not tomorrow.

For me, the enjoyment and peace of mind driving a new car these past 2 months was well worth the $15,000 or so decline in value. If it wasn’t, than I would have purchased a used car. Each person is different and each person places a value on these enjoyments differently. So while my decision to purchase a new ZL1 and drive it off the lot thereby suffering the “depreciation” may seem foolish or illogical to some for me it was well worth it.
Attached Images

Ranch41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #31
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I'll take a loss of money in depreciation any day over buying something that someone else treated like shit. At least I'll know every single detail of my car instead of wondering if some goon owned it and decided that a brand new engine doesn't need to be broken in and hammered it every chance he got. You wanna take on someone else's nightmare then be my guest.
I agree with Blaq
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #32
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Ive had new cars that were far more nighmares than than used cars I've owned. That's always a crap shoot. My first gen5 was ordered to my liking. I removed all the packing tape myself, was there when it was unloaded off the truck, there when it was prepared for sale. That car was a POS from day one. Ive bought many used 1 to 2 year old cars that people bought and couldnt afford or just wanted out for whatever reason. Cars that were not beat ,but babied. All of them were better cars than that 2010. I bought some used ones that were crap too, but that was mainly becuase those particular models were crap over being mistreated. Its your money, your welcome to lose it however you see fit. I used to play that game to until I got over the need to be "that guy" who always has a new car.

Edit: your car is used the moment you sign the papers making it no better than anyone elses used car. You just paid more.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Ive had new cars that were far more nighmares than than used cars I've owned. That's always a crap shoot. My first gen5 was ordered to my liking. I removed all the packing tape myself, was there when it was unloaded off the truck, there when it was prepared for sale. That car was a POS from day one. Ive bought many used 1 to 2 year old cars that people bought and couldnt afford or just wanted out for whatever reason. Cars that were not beat ,but babied. All of them were better cars than that 2010. I bought some used ones that were crap too, but that was mainly becuase those particular models were crap over being mistreated. Its your money, your welcome to lose it however you see fit. I used to play that game to until I got over the need to be "that guy" who always has a new car.
One of the better cars I've bought (as far as cost vs. quality) was my little Sonic, and that was a 4-year old used car with 8k miles. It needed a new MyLink screen, otherwise it's been perfect.

That said, my brand new 2012 ZL1 had the diff groan (actually it was the car that was used to discover the solution on all the rest of them!), my 2014 SS 1LE was perfect other than a glitchy infotainment unit, and the 2018 ZL1 1LE has been flawless so far. (fingers crossed on that one as we enter its first heavy track season.)

I think, no matter what you do, it's a matter of luck. But used vehicles don't have a warranty...and for that reason, when they're building them like this (performance)...I tend to favor the "buy it new" route...which is why I've got a GM card.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #34
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
One of the better cars I've bought (as far as cost vs. quality) was my little Sonic, and that was a 4-year old used car with 8k miles. It needed a new MyLink screen, otherwise it's been perfect.

That said, my brand new 2012 ZL1 had the diff groan (actually it was the car that was used to discover the solution on all the rest of them!), my 2014 SS 1LE was perfect other than a glitchy infotainment unit, and the 2018 ZL1 1LE has been flawless so far. (fingers crossed on that one as we enter its first heavy track season.)

I think, no matter what you do, it's a matter of luck. But used vehicles don't have a warranty...and for that reason, when they're building them like this (performance)...I tend to favor the "buy it new" route...which is why I've got a GM card.
You're exactly right. Its luck either way. Many one or two year old cars get warranties almost as good as new. I agree on the GM card. I have one of the early ones that builds quickly. Ived used it alot. I do buy new work trucks always however. Not only for business reasons, but also because you really dont know what you are getting with a used work truck and having one of my trucks in the garage cost a lot of money in lost productivity.

This environment we are in these days promotes getting good deals on 1 to 2 year old cars and saving a lot. My other buisness friends directed me to this and it really saves.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You're exactly right. Its luck either way. Many one or two year old cars get warranties almost as good as new. I agree on the GM card. I have one of the early ones that builds quickly. Ived used it alot. I do buy new work trucks always however. Not only for business reasons, but also because you really dont know what you are getting with a used work truck and having one of my trucks in the garage cost a lot of money in lost productivity.

This environment we are in these days promotes getting good deals on 1 to 2 year old cars and saving a lot. My other buisness friends directed me to this and it really saves.
Agreed!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #36
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
It all has to do with the economics of the world we live in. There’s really really rich people now and really really poor people not much in the middle. So us normal working class guys have to wait till the 1% get done with their toys to buy them but, now they’re such a big price difference between the rich people’s toys and the normal people‘s toys that unfortunately the rich people just have to take a bigger loss till it gets down to the level where the normal people can afford it because there’s never been such a wide disparity in income is in American history where the bosses make super amounts of money and the employees make nothing and this all comes out in the real world when purchasing cars like this. Also rich people don’t buy used cars like this they want the new model the new toy so the market for a car like this is only poor people. Simply put “the people that can afford it don’t want it, the people that want it can’t afford it”.

Last edited by RealG; 03-09-2018 at 02:57 PM.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
I am looking at new cars, but have a history of buying 1 year old cars with low miles, I bought an M3 and a Cayman S both about a year old and both right at 3500 miles and far below sticker, in fact the MSRP on the Cayman was 74K (had a bunch of exclusive options) and I bought it for 52K 11 mos old and 3300 miles, previously owned by a woman who did not enjoy the thingy sticking up in the middle of the center console. I do see a few 1LE's for sale, not that many, but if I am ready to pounce and I saw a used one with a good story, and 2/3 of warranty left, I wouldn't blink.
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #38
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
It all has to do with the economics of the world we live in. There’s really really rich people now and really really poor people not much in the middle. So us normal working class guys have to wait till the 1% get done with their toys to buy them but, now they’re such a big price difference between the rich people’s toys and the normal people‘s toys that unfortunately the rich people just have to take a bigger loss till it gets down to the level where the normal people can afford it because there’s never been such a wide disparity in income is in American history where the bosses make super amounts of money and the employees make nothing and this all comes out in the real world when purchasing cars like this. Also rich people don’t buy used cars like this they want the new model the new toy so the market for a car like this is only poor people. Simply put “the people that can afford it don’t want it, the people that want it can’t afford it”.
Im not sure what you mean buy rich. Several of my friends could easily pay cash for very expensive cars (including myself), but many of them see those as a poor investments, but they still want to drive nice cars. So they buy them a year or two old. It's making smart use of your money. Not all rich people blow money at will. Infact, i find that to be the exact oppisite. That's probably why they are Rich. My employee's that have been with me for awhile do pretty well. They have new trucks, nice houses and many toys. I guess it comes down to your definition of Rich. Most Rich people I knew that bought new cars and traded them frequently at losses ended up being poor people because that wasnt the only bad financial mistakes they may. The 1%ers you speak of dont care about Camaros. They are in a class that only they can understand. They buy yacht and jets.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #39
chain777

Drives: Slow
This is similar to the last Z/28. A high priced track focused (street compromised) car that only appeals to very small segment. It seems like a good idea based on the hype the numbers generate in the magazines, but then the reality of the compromises that have to be made to get those numbers weed out the posers and the trade-ins that ultimately happen drag the resale numbers down.

If you're in it for the long haul it will probably work out OK looking back at history, but short term your screwed.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #40
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
While this sucks for current owners. For those who have not yet purchased and plan to, this is a plus. it means there will be discounts coming soon.

I have to say from a consumer standpoint and if you can wait until the hype dies down, GM is awesome to buy performance cars from. They are discounted so heavily. Z06's , GS, Camaros. None of them hold their value as much as the GT350's, etc.

If I can GT3 performance and killer ass looks from a $70K car at $60-65K in 9 mths from now, I will be all giddy.

Hell, I paid more for my M3 and itss performance isn't even that great. Kinda off topic, but M3/M4 are over rated for what you pay for them.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #41
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
While this sucks for current owners. For those who have not yet purchased and plan to, this is a plus. it means there will be discounts coming soon.

I have to say from a consumer standpoint and if you can wait until the hype dies down, GM is awesome to buy performance cars from. They are discounted so heavily. Z06's , GS, Camaros. None of them hold their value as much as the GT350's, etc.

If I can GT3 performance and killer ass looks from a $70K car at $60-65K in 9 mths from now, I will be all giddy.

Hell, I paid more for my M3 and itss performance isn't even that great. Kinda off topic, but M3/M4 are over rated for what you pay for them.
No doubt, these are a real bargain if buying used. Best bang for buck out there.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #42
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
If you're buying a new track focused car, and it doesnt have a horse, bull, or porsche crest on it, you're going to have a bad time.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote