Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
dgritti

Drives: 2013 v6 2 LT
CTS V brake conversion

Hey guys saw that people are doing CTS V brake conversions on their camaros and wanted to get some feed back on what everyone thinks of them and what all is need to do the converison.

Let me know how your liking the conversion and the pros and cons.
dgritti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Read the threads here for some good background and there's a full thread on exactly all the parts you need with AC Delco part numbers you can find on Amazon for the best prices.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...45#post7696545

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348133

And check out the alternate Z06 brake upgrade which would already provide you with red calipers (although they will say Corvette on them.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...17#post8743517

Happy reading.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
dgritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Read the threads here for some good background and there's a full thread on exactly all the parts you need with AC Delco part numbers you can find on Amazon for the best prices.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...45#post7696545

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348133

And check out the alternate Z06 brake upgrade which would already provide you with red calipers (although they will say Corvette on them.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...17#post8743517

Happy reading.
Hey thanks man appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Love mine. Now, when driving in heavy traffic and needing to stop, I no longer worry about stopping in time but rather the person behind me stopping.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
dgritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Love mine. Now, when driving in heavy traffic and needing to stop, I no longer worry about stopping in time but rather the person behind me stopping.
awesome man what other suspension mods do you have?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Mods listed in my signature.

Although this weekend I plan on installing the FE4 upgrade, replace the rear sway with the Detroit Speed adjustable bar, and put in 1LE dampers on all 4 corners.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 04-08-2016, 02:21 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
this is my next mod. with more power you need better brakes. even with the power i have the brakes now suck. on my SC 6.2l Silverado. after the SC it was scary how the brakes couldn't handle it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
The main reason for the CTS-V upgrade is heat dissipation when using the brakes on track. For regular driving you will not really see any better stopping prformance with the 6-piston fronts than you do with the 4-piston fronts. If you want better bite on the street it would be much less expensive to switch to a more aggressive pad and the results will likely feel much more immediate and noticeable.

I think there have even been people that have tested the stopping distance (in one emergency style stop) and the 4-Pistons (stock vs stock) stopped a little shorter than the 6-Pistons.

After having converted to the 6-Pistons I will say that I really did not notice much if any difference in stopping power during regular driving or for one "emergency" style stop. The difference will really only be noticed when participating in track days and having better consistency during the entire session (i.e. Less risk of brake fade from over heating).
Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
thanks i didnt think of that. i might put it off a little longer than. I did buy SS lines for the ZL1 calipers though. So that demands I but the calipers eventually.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-09-2016 at 02:01 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

I know it's not apples-apples, but being stuck in stop and go traffic can certainly wear on your brakes. As can spirited mountain driving. Sure in the controlled environment of a "one-stop" test, you won't see a difference, but like mentioned above the cumulative effect of repeated stopping is still there.

In my 12k annual miles, I can tell a difference with the CTS-V brakes.

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 04-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post

After having converted to the 6-Pistons I will say that I really did not notice much if any difference in stopping power during regular driving or for one "emergency" style stop. The difference will really only be noticed when participating in track days and having better consistency during the entire session (i.e. Less risk of brake fade from over heating).
Having just done the CZ brakes, I agree with this (from SS to Z brakes)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:06 AM   #12
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Brakes are only as good as the tires let them be. Once the ABS detects that the wheels might be locking up, it will back off the pressure anyway. The stock brakes with upgraded pads are plenty for street driving on street rubber, you won't see much improvement in this scenario (I have the 6 pistons). Only if brake fade is a concern, or if running a tire with an aggressive tread compound, would I consider investing in the 6 pistons (which is why I did).
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #13
scanno

Drives: 2014 1LE
Looks like the 17 1LE has the same calipers as the common ZL1/CTSV/C7Z06 and is painted red and says 1LE for those of us who have a 1LE, too bad I already own a set that say Corvette on them. On the other hand for some reason some of these calipers are much more expensive because they are a different color so they might be super high too...
scanno is offline   Reply With Quote