Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Top down = more drag?

Ok I can see how with T tops and a sun roof or windows down in a harddtop/targa, the car would go slower, but can someone explain to me why a vert has a lower top speed with the top down? Is this only with certain cars or am I just overworked and not getting the concept?

Sorry in advance for my babbling. I'd really like an answe rthough.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
The air flowing over the top of the windshield will flow over the occupants at a given speed. As the vehicle starts to go faster, the air flow changes and the disturbed air over the windshield gets "caught" in the back seat....much like the tailgate of a pick-up truck. That "stuck" air acts against the forward motion of the car. The higher the speed the more resistance.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

ok so it's the back seat as opposed to the rear windshield in a coupe with T-tops or the window down. I just thought the airflow would hit the rear deck/trunk area. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Air flow is real funny. What a lot of people think looks aerodynamic may not be. The old VW Bus was more aerodynamic than the Beetle, but when I tell people that they look at me like I just threw up a shoe. Same thing with the whole pickup tailgate-up-or-down debate. To people's eyes, tailgate down looks more aerodynamic, but it's not because the airflow moves in a funny way. We have an '81 Corvette, a year after they added the standard aero package. People look at how swoopy the C3 Vette looks and say "man that thing must be real aerodynamic." Well, it isn't. The pre-1980 C3 Vettes has a cd of around .5 That's a lot. Even the aerodynamic '80-82 is somewhere around .44 The C6 by comparison is .28
Old 08-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
unkbd

In a coupe you get some airflow through the t-tops/sunroof but a majority of it is going to follow the roof line, what your actually getting through them is residual turbulance, no significant flow. In a vert there is no major surface area to guide the flow of air.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
Air flow is real funny. What a lot of people think looks aerodynamic may not be. The old VW Bus was more aerodynamic than the Beetle, but when I tell people that they look at me like I just threw up a shoe. Same thing with the whole pickup tailgate-up-or-down debate. To people's eyes, tailgate down looks more aerodynamic, but it's not because the airflow moves in a funny way. We have an '81 Corvette, a year after they added the standard aero package. People look at how swoopy the C3 Vette looks and say "man that thing must be real aerodynamic." Well, it isn't. The pre-1980 C3 Vettes has a cd of around .5 That's a lot. Even the aerodynamic '80-82 is somewhere around .44 The C6 by comparison is .28

Thanks for pointing that out Jeep...I was going to say the same thing about pickups....
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Yep, that Truck Tailgate thing is a common argument, it's been proven - too. On TV, in articles...if your tailgate is down, it's less aerodynamic that while it's up...Why? See the Picture:

As for Vert's, I can see that, Where a hard-top would "guide" the resisting air across the roofline, a vert just lets it fall right into the back seat, where it pushes down, or back, and hampers your cars speed.

This is a bad example, because the Truck is sooo Big, but this is the Idea:
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
unkbd

Sam idea as dragon ....just took longer to do.....1st is at speed......2nd is towards top speed
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Ok, I figured that was the general idea, just figured the force would push the wind higher and it would hit the trunk lid. I didn't think the vacuum pulling the air back towards the front and down behind the windshield was greater at higher speed. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
isnt the 93-97 camaros at like .28 also? lol

and in addition to all this, are we comparing a vert with its top down to a vert with the top up? or a vert with the top down to a hardtop coupe? cus a hardtop will beat the vert just due to the extra ~300lbs in weight that the vert has.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

I wasn't asking about which would win. I jusst wanted to know why the airflow wasn't the way I had imagined it. I know the weight difference.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
i was just makin sure cus the question was askin about top speed, a hard top will always top out hiya dan teh voit cus da wate...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
, a hard top will always top out hiya dan teh voit cus da wate...
Sad thing is? I followed and understood that....

MY question - having never owned a Vert...Why do they wiegh more? I would think it'd be visa-versa....the vert would wiegh less with a rag-top in place of a metal roof...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
there are a couple of basic rules to aerodynamics, some have been said but i'll say em again:
1) Air likes to follow surfaces.
2) generally speaking, smooth flow is prefered to turbulent flow
3) air cannot follow sharp changes in direction, it will cause eddies (aka vortexs, whirlpools). These cause drag when moving against the airflow, reduce drag when moving against. this explains pickup trucks
4) when air hits a surface, it causes lots of drag.
5) when air makes a small change in direction, it causes drag
6) when air slides past a surface, it causes a little bit of drag

Closed Thread