Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Les_Paul

Drives: 2012 2LT A6 Ashen Gray Metallic
Service Stabilitrak

I know there have been several posts on this topic, but none seem to have fixed my problem. My Service Stabilitrak keeps coming on often. No, this is not the message that pops up when the car is started. When it comes on it stays on until I have driven the car until it is "hot" and turned it off (to go into the store for instance). When I come back out and start up the engine, no light. A lot of times it comes on in colder weather, but not always. I have taken it into three different dealers over the past two months and have had a speed sensor on a different wheel replaced each time. They don't tell me what the specific code number is, but my receipt showed a speed sensor shorting out. After the third replacement two days ago, the light was back on today (cold morning) but was not on when I left from work for lunch. I'm driving a 2010 2LT with 18500 miles still under warranty. Any thoughts on what might be triggering the lights? I was thinking about having the dealer rewire the entire system since the code says the speed sensor was shorting out. Could that help? I appreciate any input!
Les_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Have you done ANY mods to your car?
Different wheels/tires?
How is your battery voltage?
The V8 guys have gotten them from loose spark plug wires(you don't have any) or cracked spark plugs. Have you gotten any misfire codes?
Has this happened on more than your current tank of gas?
Ask Onstar what codes you are getting.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Les_Paul

The only mod currently on the car is a cold air intake system. The previous owner installed that as well as different mufflers, but I replaced the aftermarket mufflers with stock after purchasing it.
OEM wheels and tires.
Battery voltage is typically around 14V. I'm not sure what normal would be...
None of the dealerships have mentioned a misfire code, nor have I experienced any sluggishness when driving. I cannot tell a difference in the drivability of the car when the Service Stabilitrak lights are on.
And yes, unfortunately this has been occurring on and off over the past month and a half.
Can I ask Onstar if I don't have a subscription? (This is my first car that is Onstar equipped, so I'm not sure if I even have the service)
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
milhouse316

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS/RS
Mine did that, other thing i was noticing was very slow turn over when starting my car, ended up being a loose battery connection not on the battery, but somewhere from the truck to engine compartment.
milhouse316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Les_Paul

Hmmm...my engine turns over slowly too. Do you know how I would be able to diagnose the connections? And since you found the loose connection have you had any problems with it turning back on?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Les_Paul

Stopped by Autozone today since Service Stabilitrak has been on for two days to see what code the car is producing. Unfortunately, their scanner found no codes since the check engine light is not on. I can't wait until this is fixed...other than this message my Camaro is awesome. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Check out the wiring harness. I had a similar issue in my v8 but there was a service bullentin about all camaros in general because there were a few instances in the v6's.

Here's one of the three service bulletins that could be related.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...2&postcount=16
Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Les_Paul

Thanks for the suggestion. I printed out the bulletin and am taking the Camaro in to the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully this solves the problem! I'll let you know if it does. Where can I find the other two bulletins?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Blau camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: #1 CAMARO FAN
Keep all receipts from the dealers. Trust them but always verify. Make sure that they have it fixed.
Blau camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Thw service stabillitrac is not just about the traction control, it js embedded in everything. The mkst common reason for this message is a leak in CAI
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Les_Paul

What is the CAI?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Les_Paul

Oh the cold air intake?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Had the same message. Mine turned out to be a faulty steering wheel angle sensor. Check the connection too, because mine was partially unplugged. I also have a thread on this site giving more details and pictures. Typing in steering wheel angle sensor into the search should get you there.

Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Les_Paul

Well after 5 DAYS of being in the shop with no word as to when it would be ready, I stopped by the dealership and spoke in person with the technician who was working on my Camaro. After discussing everything I've learned from ya'll, we agreed that my problem had to be an electrical issue. During the test drive they monitored the left rear speed sensor (the code showed a short) but saw no malfunction or loss of data. He insisted it was a bad speed sensor, but I have already had two other speed sensors on different wheels replaced within the last two months. Surely these sensors don't have that short of a lifespan...He did not want to simply replace the wiring harness for my rear wheel because he wanted to find the specific issue in case it came up again later with another customer. So after a little more probing, he showed me that he had spent almost zero time on my vehicle during those 5 DAYS. I ended up speaking with a manager and asked why they weren't replacing the harness since the technician and I agreed it was most likely a wiring issue. The manager told me they would get it done. 45 minutes later the manager told me the vehicle was done and said they replaced the bad sensor and nothing else. One day later Service Stabilitrak has still been absent from my DIC...here's to hoping it really was just a faulty sensor.

Tags
lights, service stabilitrak