Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #99
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
IMO, Its fine they are redoing the car and I think it is a win for anyone buying a new car.

But, I have already a FULLY upgraded interior with more done with higher end products than GM will ever use. Plus, indash dvd/nav make it cleaner so we are very happy.
That's exactly my point. If you want a real plush interior, you go all out... and it ain't cheap. For a car in the price range of the Camaro, that means doing it yourself, period. GM will never be able to keep the Camaro at the price points it is at if it wants to really impress people.

Gimme my bucket to sit on and 400+ horses! (and a body that = sex on wheels)
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #100
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But would you agree (and I'm just playing Devil's advocate here), that even though something's good with room for improvement...improving is a good thing?

I like that they're not settling down...that's really the message I take away from these reports. There's no compliance...no "rest". constant, constant Improvement.
I'm fine with improvements, it's basing it off the Audi's that bug me. Fit and finish in the Camaro is already excellent. The only "improvement" they can get from an Audi is style.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #101
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The expectation today by and large, for every car buyer, is top quality interior materior and fit and finish.
If a top quality interior is the expectation of every car buyer, and the Camaro doesn't have it, how do you explain the fact that the Camaro outsold everything else by hefty margins? Also, all we heard about in comparisons last year was how the Mustang's interior was awesome, but their sales sucked compared to the Camaro's. How does that fit into your theory?

Face facts, the Camaro sells really well. That either means buyers like the interior (ie; it's better than you think), or interiors just aren't as important as you think.

I think the reason why so much is made of the Camaro interior is because it doesn't fit the mold of German interiors. GM was creative with their interior design, and it upsets "car" people's expectations of what an interior should be like (ie; BMW or Audi). At least, that's what I can deduce when I read reviews critical of the Camaro interior for things like a "steering wheel too thick" (WTF?), or when they knock the stock stick shift (which is excellent).
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #102
ltrcola

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
When Honda Civics have better grade plastic and fit and finish than a $30k Camaro the expectation is now beyond the fact that it's a muscle car and you get all the performance.

Unfair or silly to compare a Hyundai to a Camaro? When it comes to interior plastics and quality, not at all.
I never understood this fetish that people have for Japanese interior quality. I've never liked any of the Camry/Accord/etc. interiors that I've been in. That goes for the plastics, the style, and especially the seats which have always seemed to be unnaturally hard to me.

As far as the Germans cars go, the interiors are very nice, but they are also very teutonic and boring. And at least we've never had the iDrive fiasco.

Overall, though, the Camaro does it for me. Yes the steering wheel shape is goofy. Yes I would have preferred soft touch plastics and a nav option. I'm also glad that my V-6 has a better looking font on the speedo/tach than the V-8 (small victories!). But this car has more personality and creativity in the radio than most other cars have in the whole interior.
ltrcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #103
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
If a top quality interior is the expectation of every car buyer, and the Camaro doesn't have it, how do you explain the fact that the Camaro outsold everything else by hefty margins? Also, all we heard about in comparisons last year was how the Mustang's interior was awesome, but their sales sucked compared to the Camaro's. How does that fit into your theory?

Face facts, the Camaro sells really well. That either means buyers like the interior (ie; it's better than you think), or interiors just aren't as important as you think.

I think the reason why so much is made of the Camaro interior is because it doesn't fit the mold of German interiors. GM was creative with their interior design, and it upsets "car" people's expectations of what an interior should be like (ie; BMW or Audi). At least, that's what I can deduce when I read reviews critical of the Camaro interior for things like a "steering wheel too thick" (WTF?), or when they knock the stock stick shift (which is excellent).
Sure it outsells the Mustang and Challenger...... what I am talking about is the V6 Camaro being a true head-to-head competitor to the Accord V6 coupe and Altima V6 coupe.

The problem with most of you who don't see the big picture is you are sticking with GM as an "American" ideal - get with the program. GM is in competition with everyone, all over the world, and the more people realize that your opinions will change. You cannot keep comparing the Camaro to only Ford and Chrysler offerings. It must be compared to Honda, Nissan, BMW, Hyundai, Audi - in other words, all of those companies offer something in the Camaro's price range and performance range which can pull a customer away. And since GM still has a stigma of producing garbage to many people, the new GM cannot afford to cut corners anywhere. Yes, the new Camaro is nice - it's fantastic..... compared to the utter junk the 1st-4th generation Camaros were. Now it's time GM needs to step up to the plate, and I think they understand the whole picture now.

Time will tell. Remember - they aren't competing against just Ford and Chrysler anymore.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #104
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
You had me till you said the 1st-4th gen's were junk.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #105
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
If people want a honda, they buy a honda... if they have the money to buy german they do that.... I think people like the Camaro for what it is.... I for one am not interested in an interior clone of Japanese or German cars... if I wanted that, I would buy that.... for me it is what it is, and I like it.... can it be improved? I'm sure it can, but those who are crafting the improvements should remember the "lane" the Camaro occupies, and make the improvements while staying in that lane.... but that's just me...
Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #106
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
The only "improvement" they can get from an Audi is style.
Not completely true. Read some of the specific 'issues' he cites about the Camaro's interior...layout, placement...ergonomics. I'm CERTAINLY not saying the inside of the Camaro is bad - not at all! But to sit back and say "Okay...I'm done, this is good."...is a BAAADDDD attitude to have in an environment like the auto industry.

I'm glad this is not what we're seeing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
I for one am not interested in an interior clone of Japanese or German cars... if I wanted that, I would buy that.... for me it is what it is, and I like it.... can it be improved? I'm sure it can, but those who are crafting the improvements should remember the "lane" the Camaro occupies, and make the improvements while staying in that lane.... but that's just me...
Nobody's saying they're going to clone anything. They're going to improve...with Audi, apparently, as a benchmark. They can do that while keeping the Camaro in its "lane". Don't worry too much -- these people know what they're doing.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #107
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
As long as i live i never cease to be amazed. GM announces they're improving the Camaro and people get mad. Amazing.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #108
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
As long as i live i never cease to be amazed. GM announces they're improving the Camaro and people get mad. Amazing.
+1.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #109
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
If people want a honda, they buy a honda... if they have the money to buy german they do that.... I think people like the Camaro for what it is.... I for one am not interested in an interior clone of Japanese or German cars... if I wanted that, I would buy that.... for me it is what it is, and I like it.... can it be improved? I'm sure it can, but those who are crafting the improvements should remember the "lane" the Camaro occupies, and make the improvements while staying in that lane.... but that's just me...
Again, missing the point. So many of you don't look outside of American cars and then wonder why people don't want American cars - you need to open your mind.

It's not "if people want a Honda, then buy a Honda". It's "people see the quality of material and fit and finish in a $17,000 Civic and then expect to see that same level in any car costing $25,000 or more, reguardless of performance and handling"

With today's technology and available materials it is not expensive to design a better interior than what is currently in the Camaro. It is not. It has been proven by other car makers all over the world.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #110
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I like the way the interior looks. There's not too many useless buttons and wing-dings. I would only ask for the following 2 things:

1) Better materials to use on the interior
2) Dual climate zones.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #111
az5thgen

Drives: 2010 1LT
Chevy used Audi to re-do the interior on the Avalanche and Tahoe starting in 2007 and all it did was make it better.

Can't sit on what you got - got to get better all the time. That's why we do mods on new cars.
az5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #112
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
No offense, but you're missing the point. This Camaro isn't a sedan, it's designers shouldn't prefer an interior like a sedan's. It's a muscle car, it's interior should be affordably brash. It sells fine just the way it is, it's going to sell better once all the options like convertible, Z28, etc... come out.
Sorry - Audi makes a lot more than sedans.

It feels like the only people who don't want to see improvments in the interior are the people who already own Camaro's - as though it's some kind of slap in the face to them.

I applaud Chevy for recognizing a weakness and focusing on improving it. While the Camaro interior might have plenty to like, it is also the number one area of the car that can use improvement.

Last edited by Eich; 05-30-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote