Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
idealneil

Drives: 2011 SS/RS And 2011 LT
Muffler Delete Questions

I have looked through here and not really found these answers.
I have a 2011 2SS/RS A6 and thinking of doing a muffler delete.
What are the pros and cons? Will this pass inspection in Texas?
Any dealership service dept. issues? Are cat backs a better option and if they are why?
idealneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Do it. As long as you don't alter the OEM cats, you're good on your inspection. The same thing applies to warranty. They don't care what you do aft of the cats. While you're at it, lose the resonator too (replace it with an x-pipe).

There is one thing you should know, though. If you don't already hate AFM, you definitely will after the muffler delete. Unless you're prepared to tune it out (which is what many of us have done), you may not want a more aggressive exhaust. Tuning out the AFM can be grounds for denying your powertrain warranty.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Solo J-Pipe exhaust is a "muffler delete" with an added j-pipe to eliminate drone.
No need to do a tune or void your warranty.
Check them out.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
idealneil

Drives: 2011 SS/RS And 2011 LT
I was looking at the Pypes delete it is suppose to help with the
pops. I am just not sure if there are any benefits of doing cat backs or the delete I do like the sound of the delete vs the axel or cat backs
but what are the pros and cons of performance?
idealneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealneil View Post
...I do like the sound of the delete vs the axel or cat backs
It certainly can't hurt.

How do you like that for a definitive answer, supportd by absolutely no empiracle, scientific data?

Seriously, though, you will flow a little more air with the delete. Will there be a noticeable HP gain? Probably not. But, it will sound a heck-of-a-lot better.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Ehhhh, not so much

I have a SS/RS M6 that I put the Cherry Bomb CatBack Sytem on. It comes with an X-Pipe and Cherry Bomb Extreme mufflers. I wanted to try the delete so I loosened my clamps and had some turn-downs put on from a local muffler shop.

I'm listing details (not necessarily pros or cons considering some people like drone some don't. Some people like the pop, some don't, etc.)

• WOT is louder and more raspy
  • Popping on deceleration is so frequent it actually sounds like its running on bad gas
  • There is no drone (even though I love drone)
  • It is quieter than the Cherry Bombs at idle
  • Shifting gear sounds sick (like a corsa exhaust system)
  • The turn-downs are a cheap alternative as opposed to routing the pipes out the back holes but it will kick up dust
  • I felt (and it could have just been me) that HP was actually decreased.
  • From the majority of the threads mufflers alone will not improve or hurt HP.
  • If your looking for loud and raspy, go with the delete (but remember from my experience I already had an X pipe.)
  • The Cherry Bomb system RUMBLES! As my car is named "Thunder" I felt that it took away from the whole idea of starting my car and shaking the house. This system is surprisingly cheap and sounds much better than Corsa or Borla from my experiences in hearing them.
I hope this helped!
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwoodisme View Post
I have a SS/RS M6 that I put the Cherry Bomb CatBack Sytem on. It comes with an X-Pipe and Cherry Bomb Extreme mufflers. I wanted to try the delete so I loosened my clamps and had some turn-downs put on from a local muffler shop.

I'm listing details (not necessarily pros or cons considering some people like drone some don't. Some people like the pop, some don't, etc.)

• WOT is louder and more raspy
  • Popping on deceleration is so frequent it actually sounds like its running on bad gas
  • There is no drone (even though I love drone)
  • It is quieter than the Cherry Bombs at idle
  • Shifting gear sounds sick (like a corsa exhaust system)
  • The turn-downs are a cheap alternative as opposed to routing the pipes out the back holes but it will kick up dust
  • I felt (and it could have just been me) that HP was actually decreased.
  • From the majority of the threads mufflers alone will not improve or hurt HP.
  • If your looking for loud and raspy, go with the delete (but remember from my experience I already had an X pipe.)
  • The Cherry Bomb system RUMBLES! As my car is named "Thunder" I felt that it took away from the whole idea of starting my car and shaking the house. This system is surprisingly cheap and sounds much better than Corsa or Borla from my experiences in hearing them.
I hope this helped!
I agree with everything you list here, but the OP has an L99. It won't be the popping that annoys him (I actually like the decel pop), it'll be the "bees-in-the-coffee-can" sound from the AFM.

The other thing worth noting about the L99 stock exhaust is this:

Trying to choose between "delete" and Cherry Bombs (or any other cat/axle-back system) versus staying stock, is like living at the north pole and trying to decide whether you should move to San Diego or Miami. Either one is an improvement. With the behemoth resonator on the L99 (which is there to cancel out the ridiculous AFM gurgling), those mufflers are overkill. You might as well be driving a Prius, as far as the exhaust note goes.

Last edited by kmcd; 09-20-2011 at 05:20 PM.
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
what is AFM? i have a ls3
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
what is AFM? i have a ls3
Active Fuel Management

Active Fuel Management (formerly known as Displacement on Demand) is a trademarked name for the automobile variable displacement technology from General Motors. It allows a V6 or V8 engine to "turn off" half of the cylinders under light-load conditions to improve fuel economy. Estimated performance on EPA tests show a 5.5%-7.5% improvement in fuel economy.[1]
GM's current Active Fuel Management technology uses a solenoid to deactivate the lifters on selected cylinders of a pushrod V-layout engine.

Source: Wikepedia
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
I agree with everything you list here, but the OP has an L99. It won't be the popping that annoys him (I actually like the decel pop), it'll be the "bees-in-the-coffee-can" sound from the AFM.
Exactly. If the four-cylinder mode sound doesn't bother you, I highly recommend the Solo Axle-back with Jpipes. I love them on my LS3, but i rode in an L99 with them and the AFM sounded ugly, but that's going to be true with any louder exhaust system on an L99.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
I did the delete, I also put in the flowmaster X-pipe to help with popping. It helps in weight reduction and has better sound than stock. It is less restrictive and the x pipe will help with the flow between both sides...

It's a cheaper alternative to doing a full exhaust system.

some pics here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46732

Pros: cheap, weight loss, easy, CHEAP
cons: ? no fancy tips (although you can run straight pipe and use your stock tips), the rear diffuser now catches air, dust from turndowns (not that big a deal though)
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
Do it. As long as you don't alter the OEM cats, you're good on your inspection. The same thing applies to warranty. They don't care what you do aft of the cats. While you're at it, lose the resonator too (replace it with an x-pipe).

There is one thing you should know, though. If you don't already hate AFM, you definitely will after the muffler delete. Unless you're prepared to tune it out (which is what many of us have done), you may not want a more aggressive exhaust. Tuning out the AFM can be grounds for denying your powertrain warranty.
Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealneil View Post
I was looking at the Pypes delete it is suppose to help with the
pops. I am just not sure if there are any benefits of doing cat backs or the delete I do like the sound of the delete vs the axel or cat backs

Idealneil – We’ve had many customers perform the muffler delete on their Camaros and switch to our systems within a couple of days. They complain of the exhaust being too raspy and annoyingly loud. They have found a happy middle ground between our American Thunder kit and the terrible sound of doing a muffler delete, with our new Outlaw Axle-Back.

flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmann View Post
Idealneil – We’ve had many customers perform the muffler delete on their Camaros and switch to our systems within a couple of days. They complain of the exhaust being too raspy and annoyingly loud. They have found a happy middle ground between our American Thunder kit and the terrible sound of doing a muffler delete, with our new Outlaw Axle-Back.
I guess everything is subjective, but I don't think this sounds terrible. I think it sounds the way a muscle car is supposed to sound.

This is with mufflers and resonator deleted - cutouts and x-pipe added:

Don't get me wrong. I like Flowmasters, and have owned quite a few of them in the past. The problem is the OEM cats on these cars are so restrictive, that any muffler and/or resonator behind them is overkill. There's just not enough exhaust note aft of the cats to accommodate a muffler (Flowmaster or otherwise) without sounding anemic.

Last edited by kmcd; 09-21-2011 at 03:31 PM.
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote