Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Grayman

Drives: 2012 SS Conv. w/ SLP ZL454 package
Changing Tire Aspect Ratio: The Effects

I've been looking at tire options lately for my car. I'm still running on the 245/45-20 front and 275/40-20 rear Pirellis on 8.5" and 9.5" wheels respectively.

Pretty much everything I'm interested in is lower profile than the stock tires. I'm wondering what the effects would be by going to a lower profile tire? Aside from the speedometer being off, I've read this can adversely affect the traction control. What exactly will I be getting into by changing to a smaller aspect ratio tire?

I've got 3-piece Forgeline wheels and have checked on having the fronts resized to match the rears.
Grayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Witchdoctor92

Drives: 2012 1SS Black with white rally str
If I understand correctly, the speedo will be off but as long as the tire heights are close to each other the TC will be OK.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
One thing to consider is your car may be lower if you run 30 or 35 series tires, when the outside diameter of the tires decrease, you will be lowering the ride height of your Camaro....sometimes very slight change but if more than a inch difference, your going lower by a 1/2 inch...
Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
As long as the tire heights match, ABS and Stabilitrac will be fine. You can reprogram the new tire height in HP Tuners easily, but you going to lose your warranty as your essentially tuning the vehicle. If you do this, DO NOT use the tire height listed by the manufacturer. Install the new tires and wheels and measure the tire height with the car on the ground. You'll be more accurate. For example, the original tire height is listed as 28.7 but it is programed into the tune as 27.79.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
As long as you go wider you can drop aspect ratio, and maintain the same diameter as stock.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Grayman

Drives: 2012 SS Conv. w/ SLP ZL454 package
From what I'm reading it really doesn't sound like it's the smart move. I have a hard enough time getting in and out of the driveway. I don't really have any complaints about the PZero's, but I also don't like being so limited in performance tires.
Grayman is offline   Reply With Quote