Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Brian65

Drives: Black
Question 2012 vs 2013 ZL1

Here is the new guy question... Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2012 and 2013 ZL1 Camaros? Other than the obvious, that the 2013 is offered in a convertible, is there a difference in availability or production numbers?
Brian65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Slowyouroll
The 7th Grand Master

Drives: Soon to be a Black ZL1
no one knows
Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
one says 2012 and the other says 2013

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
No one knows. Chevrolet won't even know until 2014!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM usually doesn't share much on year to year updates on their cars until roughly April, a couple months before they model year change over.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Drives: N/A
2012 will probably be limited to the first production run and then switching to the new model year in April/May will start the 2013 and probably a few thousand dollars more on the base price and with the CF option I am going to assume it will be about 65k OTD if you go that route. Lets just hope that they increase the output of the LSA for 2013 now that Ford put their numbers out there because the increase would justify the price going up. If not, why buy one when you can get a corvette that is a lot less weight, right?
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Yes, you can buy a 2013 without a top.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpine View Post
2012 will probably be limited to the first production run and then switching to the new model year in April/May will start the 2013 and probably a few thousand dollars more on the base price and with the CF option I am going to assume it will be about 65k OTD if you go that route. Lets just hope that they increase the output of the LSA for 2013 now that Ford put their numbers out there because the increase would justify the price going up. If not, why buy one when you can get a corvette that is a lot less weight, right?
Why would the price increase a few thousand just for a new model year...that's a lot!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpine View Post
If not, why buy one when you can get a corvette that is a lot less weight, right?
I dunno, because it's not a Camaro? If the only thing that matters to you when buying a car is the performance specs, then I can see your point, but most of the people I know buy them based on many factors. While the Corvette and its myriad versions offer great performance, the current body style, like the Mustang, is getting a little long in the tooth for me. You see so many of them on the roads, it just doesn't do anything for me anymore.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I dunno, because it's not a Camaro? If the only thing that matters to you when buying a car is the performance specs, then I can see your point, but most of the people I know buy them based on many factors. While the Corvette and its myriad versions offer great performance, the current body style, like the Mustang, is getting a little long in the tooth for me. You see so many of them on the roads, it just doesn't do anything for me anymore.
There are more 5th gen Camaros on the road than C6 Corvettes, and the gap is only going to widen.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
2012 will be a limited number produced which means collector car in the future. Im sure the 2013 will have some changes but very very minor changes. they wont have the time to retool or manufacture anything major. 2013 production should start after the 1st allocation and pre-production orders are filled for the 2012. If i had to guess the 2012 will only be built to fill orders as in my previous sentance. Makes sense right?
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
I'm not going to disagree in principle, but I would like to point out there are already more Camaros on the road than C6 vettes:

about 219K Camaros to ~190K C6 Corvettes

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179829

http://blog.corvettecentral.com/2010...ction-numbers/

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There are more 5th gen Camaros on the road than C6 Corvettes, and the gap is only going to widen.
Oops you beat me to it.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #13
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Why would the price increase a few thousand just for a new model year...that's a lot!
I would assume because it usually does for any model chevy makes and if there is any type of performance increase especially in HP/Torque with the stats on the 2013 Shelby GT...plus do not forget the premium CF options coming out as well. Only makes sense they will increase the base price more if they already got folks willing to pay 60k to get it out the door why would they stop. Hence, why I think they should bring back the Z28 all the more at a mid 40k price with some of the performance options of the ZL1 but not necessary for a SC/LSA.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...I love camaros and do not want a two seat wonder...whats better than haulin' @ss with your buddies (plural) in the car with you even if they have to cram in the back. However, this type of money puts in more in the rich kidz fan base and not the average joe...hence, from my reply up above we need a Z28 again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
2012 will be a limited number produced which means collector car in the future. Im sure the 2013 will have some changes but very very minor changes. they wont have the time to retool or manufacture anything major. 2013 production should start after the 1st allocation and pre-production orders are filled for the 2012. If i had to guess the 2012 will only be built to fill orders as in my previous sentance. Makes sense right?
Keep in mind most vehicles made today only last about 10 years...not sayin' they will not last longer, however, they are just not built like they use to be before. You have to wait quite some time for the value of it to finally set in as far as a collector car rather it will be high at first but until it gets 15 to 20 years we will not know the actual running value of the vehicle. I must say by that time most of the gas cars might be gone all together with the way the govt. is going these days. I just hope it doesn't but who really knows what will be out and drivable by that time.
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
I can't see there being much change either. If there is, it will be small IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamwhite View Post
Who do you think will win the Super bowl in 2013 (2012 season) Rams or Colts?
Packers
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote