Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
The onstar signal gets to the amp via the radio. You would not have the factory radio, so you have to take the signal it normally sends to the radio and route it to the 3sixty.3 on your own.
That can't be right as then why would Scosche sell the Onstar module if you could not hear it?? The sounds must come off the their harness and at least be at the X3 in the back to draw it from.
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post
That can't be right as then why would Scosche sell the Onstar module if you could not hear it?? The sounds must come off the their harness and at least be at the X3 in the back to draw it from.
If the Scosche kit is like the Metra, it does exactly what I'm suggesting that you do. It takes the two wires that would normally go to the OEM radio and mixes that signal with the aftermarket radio's RCA out.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
lol..I like thinking people!

OK so you are saying that maybe take the front RCA's from the X3 and input to Front2 and then use the software to combine to say Left front channel? Would that have all the sounds from the Onstar/chimes? Seems could even use some kind of combiner and put the 2 front and rear (+) and the 2 rear (-) into these and then output to 2 RCA to go to Front2 input?

http://www.amazon.com/Steren-RCA-Y-A...+to+2+RCA+Male
I wouldn't go that route. Let the 3Sixty.3 do the mixing. Y-adapters are not for mixing signals. In this case, you could damage the RCA output section of your radio as you would be combining a high level signal and a low level signal. The Scosche kit does not provide LOC functions.

Also, the chimes will come out of the speaker on the back of the HVAC controls. And don't worry, it's plenty loud.

Quote:
You are correct here FTW. The Scosche kit does not send the Onstar signal to the radio. The CAMOSM module piggybacks the OnStar sounds/etc. on the radio output speaker level wiring. That is why I'm saying you should use the X3 RCA's to mix in the OnStar sounds.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
If the Scosche kit is like the Metra, it does exactly what I'm suggesting that you do. It takes the two wires that would normally go to the OEM radio and mixes that signal with the aftermarket radio's RCA out.
The Scosche kit must be a lot different than the Metra kit then.

The Scosche kit harness takes the speaker outputs from the radio and sends them directly back to the X3. It does not convert them to RCA's nor does the Scosche harness accept RCA's. I'm pretty sure that the reason Scosche did it this way is because the factory amp can take high or low level as input without issue.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
CamaroFTW

Quote:
No the Scosche does not get extra wires from what you call the Onstar communication module to the right of dash. You plug on the Onstar to the Scosche harness and it feeds the voice output to the 4 channels front and rear.

So this tells me that the Scosche harness must get the onstar voice from on of the 2 connectors that plug into the car in the dash.

I like how we are all "working this out" though
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
As for OnStar retention, it is still possible using my idea. If you look at the diagram below, there is clearly a (+) and (-) signal coming from the OnStar module. Those could be routed to the 3Sixty.3 and mixed in. The only difference between this and OEM operation would be that you would have to manually mute the radio.
Looks like it gets the OnStar voice/info from the DK BLU and LT BLU/BLK wires coming from the Telematics Comm Interface. IF it is just a basic analog audio signal, then the radio must be programmed to mute on a signal sense from those wires. My fear would be that it is a digital signal and must be processed by the radio or CAMOSM module. It is probably just analog though since it has + and - signals. Depending on how long you can wait, I could test it this weekend when I put in my 3Sixty.

Quote:
No the Scosche does not get extra wires from what you call the Onstar communication module to the right of dash. You plug on the Onstar to the Scosche harness and it feeds the voice output to the 4 channels front and rear.

So this tells me that the Scosche harness must get the onstar voice from on of the 2 connectors that plug into the car in the dash.

I like how we are all "working this out" though
Looks like we're on the same page.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

If it works out, I may just run a small amp (like the factory amp) to the center channel and use it for OnStar only.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
Looks like it gets the OnStar voice/info from the DK BLU and LT BLU/BLK wires coming from the Telematics Comm Interface. IF it is just a basic analog audio signal, then the radio must be programmed to mute on a signal sense from those wires. My fear would be that it is a digital signal and must be processed by the radio or CAMOSM module. It is probably just analog though since it has + and - signals. Depending on how long you can wait, I could test it this weekend when I put in my 3Sixty.

Looks like we're on the same page.
That is exactly what I have been saying for a while, lost in translation somewhere. I plan to order a 3Sixty.3 later this week. I have an extra radio harness. I might try cutting the onstar wires on it just to test my theory. If I like the way it works out, that may be one less thing keeping me from going with a full-blown aftermarket HU.

As for the Metra kit chimes being loud enough, I'm sure they are, but I would still send that signal to the 3Sixty.3, to get a more refined experience. I think an aftermarket HU should be better than stock in every way. I shouldn't have to downgrade to some 1980's speaker or relay to mimic my turn signal and chimes sounds.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
CamaroFTW

Quote:
That is exactly what I have been saying for a while, lost in translation somewhere. I plan to order a 3Sixty.3 later this week. I have an extra radio harness. I might try cutting the onstar wires on it just to test my theory. If I like the way it works out, that may be one less thing keeping me from going with a full-blown aftermarket HU.

As for the Metra kit chimes being loud enough, I'm sure they are, but I would still send that signal to the 3Sixty.3, to get a more refined experience. I think an aftermarket HU should be better than stock in every way. I shouldn't have to downgrade to some 1980's speaker or relay to mimic my turn signal and chimes sounds.
But if we didn't want to cut into the Telecommunications wires, the Onstar sounds should already be on the front and rear speaker outs of the Scosche that is sent back to the X3. Should be able to grab the sounds off that and not have to splice into some other part of the car.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #24
CamaroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
I am in no rush as my car will be in the body shop at least 2 more weeks.

So experiment my mad professor and solve the riddles of the universe!

Can't wait to find out what you discover!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
But if we didn't want to cut into the Telecommunications wires, the Onstar sounds should already be on the front and rear speaker outs of the Scosche that is sent back to the X3. Should be able to grab the sounds off that and not have to splice into some other part of the car.
Yeah, if you want the high quality signal that comes from your HU to get processed by a $30 (or so) box. But since the 3sixty.3 allows 8 inputs, you should send a pure signal its way.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
CamaroFTW

Quote:
Yeah, if you want the high quality signal that comes from your HU to get processed by a $30 (or so) box. But since the 3sixty.3 allows 8 inputs, you should send a pure signal its way.
OK maybe darkrider01 will test this for us and see how it works! Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
CamaroFTW

Any update darkrider01?? Would love to hear what you discovered.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #28
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Any update darkrider01?? Would love to hear what you discovered.
Eh, not yet. Had to work last weekend and I have a Concealed Carry class this Saturday. The plan is for me and my wife to tear everything apart this Saturday night and install the 3Sixty.3 on Sunday.

I've been thinking about how to get the 3Sixty to properly mix the OnStar input. When setting up the 3Sixty (and MS-8), you play a CD that has a special audio track that helps the unit properly set input levels. My fear is that the audio signal coming from the OnStar wires will be too loud or even too soft.

It's really all speculation at this point, but I aim to find out this weekend.